GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article about "detailing clay". Part of the article said how to test your paint job for embedded contaminants to see if it could benefit from detailing clay. Now I take pretty good care of my vehicles and figured they would pass the "plastic bag test". So after washing I put my hand in a plastic sandwich bag and rubbed it over the clean painted surface. The plastic bag really increases the sensitivity of your touch. I was appalled at the gritty feel of what looked like a nice smooth wax job.
I went down to the local Auto Zone and spent $14 and change on a detailing clay kit. It contained only a piece of clay and a spray bottle of clay lubricant. I followed the directions and was amazed at the job it did. The stuff was magic! Non abrasive, but it cleaned everything down to the clear coat. The plastic bag test revealed the surface was smooth as a baby's bottom. A coat of Rejex and it is show room ready.
I know how well Goldwingers like to keep their machines detailed. If you haven't tried detailing clay, I would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Detailing clay's been around quite awhile, and really does a fine job. Did my 03 wing with it, and it was the first thing I did on my 07 when I got it home.

You'd be Very surprised how much contamination is already on your brand new vehicle. Use the sandwich bag as NovelRed suggests, and you'll be shocked at the fore and aft results.

Non-abrasive is a poor desription though. It is exactly the opposite, it's very abrasive. Don't let whatever lubricant you're using dry up as you're claying, or you will have marring, scratching etc. Don't over do it either. Once or at the most twice a year, will keep your finish like new.

Take your used up clay bar and do your house windows, or car windows with it for an incredible clarity, but don't forget the lube.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts