GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoyed reading about others first road trip. How about a thread with people telling a little story about their first ride? Some of the inadvertent adventures, breakdowns, interesting people you met along the way. This will be a great way for we snow fort dwellers to while away the wintry nights.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
First day road trip...I977 on Dads 1973 Suzuki GT750...13 year old waiting for mom and dad to go to work...Headed out of central missouri rode into western IL. over 300 mile day...I had to get home before mom and dad and deliver my paper route on my 1975 Suzuki GT380

First weekend road trip...1981 again on the GT750...17 years old rode to Kansas City,MO. with girlfriend for a ZZTop/Loverboy Concert...Nexy day Worlds of Fun Amusement park

Really miss the smell and sound from those old two strokes specially that old GT750"Water Buffalo" she would scoot!! :cool: :D

First long road trip for me 07' on the 03' wing 43 years old ...
Departed solo form Columbia,MO. first destination Grand Tetons...I was so excited about the trip I rode 1083 miles first 19 1/2 hours only 250 miles from Jackson Hole WY.Before shutting the wing down for a 2-3 hour nap on the back seat of the wing till the sun starting to come up,off again on the adventure!!...Toured Grand Tetons, Yellowstone,parts of MT. ID. UT. Then dropped down into CO. Pikes Peak final destination before travling back to missouri...11 days over 3600 miles of total freedom ...
I'm hooked...:biker: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The facts I remember are not all that exciting, but I remember tying on all my luggage on the back of the seat and having half my luggage fall off whithin the first 20 miles. Learned to bungee better in later years, then riding KZ650 with no windshield 500 miles that first day. My neck was so sore. That's my weak point on long rides, the neck, not the rear. The KZ650 had those K&N pod filters that were a piece of junk for long rides, got in some rain, they clogged and I was running like the choke was on. Finally 400 miles from home I just threw the filters on the side of the road and rode the rest of the way without filters. That was the first trip. In later years had various adventures like riding basically all the way from Washington to Connecticut in a single rain/hail storm. Of course I was riding 70mph, the storm was moving 30 or whatever. It would pass me every night, the next day I'd ride through it, then it would pass me the next night. Real fun.
The best one I remember was down in the Florida Everglades passing an old 1970 Chevy truck with a full cabover camper on it, then whether he got angry or just wanted to play games I still don't know, but I'd pass a couple cars, he'd pass them. I thought fine, so turn it up to 100mph and pass a string of 15 cars, well he does the same thing, so I just hold it at around 110 for a few miles of open road and he stayed right with me. I finally braked hard and pulled off into an old business parking lot as he sped on by. Anyone seen the movie dual with Dennis Weaver, this was close as I've gotten to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
was one day out of high school (1977) went to yellowstone from ca. stayed every other night in motel going across the salt flats my head light out had to follow my buddy into salt lake - from there went to las vagas -back then we just pulled off 15 in the sand and went to sleep - went to l.a from there and started up the coast. my buddy had a kaw-900 and ran out of gas pulled him to the gas station with mt 750 honda

grand tetons

·
Registered
330 Posts
First road trip in 2003. Left ontario and travelled through canada to vancouver island in british columbia and then returned home by coming south down through the states. Passed through sturgis during the bike rally. ( quite a site) then east to new york state and back north to ontario. Was gone a total of 31 days. Great ride through the mountains both ways. My wife and i had a blast. We average about 20,000 miles a year on the bike.

Good riding

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Our first long road trip was to the Honda hoot in 2003. It was the first year we had our new 2002 Goldwing. The seat had me crying Momma, and we bought me an AirHawk while there. It helped enough to get home, but I was scared of long trips from that day forward. I have since bought an Ultimate seat, but that only extends the trip 2-3 hours before total pain. Not to make this a negative post, just learned the respect one must give a MC seat. Youch!

Herb

·
Registered
796 Posts
It was 1977 or 78....I rode from Tulsa to Wichita, Kansas on my Honda 750 Super Sport. It was great fun! The ride got dicey on the way back when I found myself riding the 300 miles back to Tulsa in pouring rain on that naked 750 with only a windbreaker to wear. I was soaking wet, hurting and smiling all the way....oh to be young again.....;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
First road trip in 2006 rode to Spokane and back. Did the Badlands, Black Hills, Glacier NP, Spokane, Hwy 12 Lolo Pass, Silver City Mt, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy, Cody, Sturgis and home in 2 weeks. I had my wife not talking to me before I hit the end of the alley. It took 100 miles before she talked to me again.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Will do my best to abbreviate.

August 1971, left Friday, 5PM, from Braintree, MA on my 1970 750 Honda for Dallas to watch the VFW Drum & Bugle Corps Championships. Bike was shipped home from Germany Nov. 70 after 4 years in USAF. Had a back rest for the passenger so I tied down a samsonite suitcase with my sleeping bag in front of it for me to lean up against. Had a rack above rear fender with a large "doctors" style bag.

First night was spent in Edison, NJ, on the ground next to an 18 wheeler at a NJ turnpike rest stop.

On Saturday, made it to just outside Knoxville, TN, where again the night was next to a truck in a rest stop.

Left rest stop and drove over a "ton" into Nashville to catch a 10AM mass. Drove through fog, laying on my tank.

From Nashville, it was around 900 miles into Dallas. I arrived at my two friends hotel, who flew down Friday, at around 10PM. As I pulled up to the front entrance, they were leaving with two girls they had already "met". Their looks said it all! I had an open face helmet and used goggles. All skin below the goggles was covered with either oil or bugs. Because of my high speed ride to Nashville, the size of my samsonite (sail), the back rest/storage rack/bag had finally broken away. Must have happened after my last fill-up.

After several days in Dallas, it was off to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, to visit my Sister and Mother, who had driven down from Braintree, towing her trailer. That night was spent on a picnic table in Beloxi, MS.

Mom and I eventually headed North. We stopped in Jacksonville, FL for dinner. I had loaded all my gear into the trailer since I was following Mom and would sleep in the trailer. When we began again, I asked her to stay on 301, I believe, which was not converted to 95 yet. Do not take 17 or 1. I had to gas up and I'd catch up with her.

A hurricane was heading up the East Coast and we were South of it. Well, Mom took 17 and I never caught her and had no way of calling her. All trucks/trailers were being pulled over do to the hurricane winds. I headed up 301/95. By Rocky Mount, NC I was soaked. Pulled into a mall, bought a $9 rain suit, walked over to the laundramat, got permission to go into the back room, take off all my clothes, and dry them while sitting in the rainsuit.

Next stop was just South of "South of The Border" by a couple of miles. Paid $5 to stay in a cabin and the guy let me keep the bike in his barn. From this location to DC, I drove barefoot to keep my sneakers dry. Will never forget the cop riding shot-gun who looked over at a light and just shook his head. For $.50 I found a youth hostel.

These costs were eating into my funds. Thanks Mom! When I had to fill-up in Providence, RI, I had $1.10 left. I asked the attendant to give me $1 worth while I went to the john. I ended up getting $1.25 worth for my buck. I saved the dime for a possible phone call.

Since I had no keys and the house was locked up, I drove to friends, woke them up, and they let me in. Just for chuckles, I called home and reached my Mom, who had arrived around an hour after I checked the house. Had not seen her in about three days and she shows up close to my arrival.

As I drove Big Bird North from Columbia, SC this past November, that 1971 trip was constantly on my mind. Who the hell today would make that type of trip solo and stay outdoors? I don't think I'd ever do it again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
In the summer of '77 I bought a new GS 750 Suzuki from my local dealer. A couple of months after I bought it, a buddy of mine who was in the Army wanted me to ride from Benton, Ar. to Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. so he could get his paycheck. No big deal, we were 21 and pretty much bullet-proof. He borrowed a 2 0r 3 year-old Sportster (built by AMF at the time) from a mutual friend for him to ride. The mutual friend decided to change the oil before we left. I got off work at 8:00 am the day we left. We made it about 25 miles before the Sporty started making some rather unsavory noises. We pulled in at a gas station, pronounced it dead and called the bike's owner to tell him where his bike was so he could come pick it up. We continued on, swapping out on the b***h seat for the rest of the 300 mile one way trip. Don't remember how long it took us to get there, get him paid and ride back home, but I do know I was one tired rider when I went back to work at midnight that same night. I was lucky in that I actually worked for his dad and was able to catch a little cat-nap (about 7 hours) while at work. Seems his wife had told him to leave me alone at work!! Probably couldn't do that again even on a bet!! We later found out that the Sportster's owner didn't bother to put any oil back in the tranny and it had a total meltdown. There were more than a few hard feelings when Owner wanted my friend wanted to pay for the repairs(didn't happen).

·
Registered
871 Posts
First Rode Trip

Riding a 1986 GL 1200 from San Diego CA to Jackson MS. Got to Las Cruces NM and realized I only had 2 lbs of air in my front tire. It had a plug in it that I did not know was there when I bought the bike and it was leaking. Fortunately I had a plug kit and was able to put another plug and it held up till I got home. The rest of the way to MISS. was thru Pacos and Tyler TX(famous for all you can eat catfish) Once in Jackson we rented a car and went down to New Orleans and spent the night on Bourban St during Spring Break( WOW). The return trip was on the I-40 thru OK and spent one whole day in 45mph cross wind( riding all day long leaning over to one side) Befor arriving in Phenox AZ bike stated leaking oil badly and I had to put oil in it every tank of gas. When I got home I fixed the oil leak, sold the bike and bought an new GL1800

·
Registered
115 Posts
Riding a 1997SE GL Black in color . Just finished motorcycle school here in Prescott AZ the year 2001. Never had a bike before came from NYC wife would not let me have one with the family being young. We took a 47 hundred mile ride with fourteen other Goldwings from AZ to Canada going on a ferry then from Canada over to Washington thru Oregon thru SanFrancisco to Moro Bay CA. stay there for the 4th of July and then back to AZ in fiftheen days. What an MFC course that was for me and the wife. We had rain ,ice ,road constuction dirt roads to boot. I was scared most of the trip but I have no regrets because of what it taught me in does 15 days.

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
Great thread Ron. My first bike was a Suzuki X6 Hustler. The year was around 1970, the bike was probably mid-60's. It was Feb. in Toronto and the seller said ride it home and try if for a few days. Maybe 20 miles - I froze. I put it in my parents' garage, at the top of a steep driveway. My father (a non-biker) asked if he could take it for a spin. Well, I thought, he flew fighter jets in WWII. Surely he can handle a lil ole motorcycle. He hopped on, went down the driveway, across the street, into snowbank, fell over and broke the chain. The bike wasn't even mine yet - I was devastated. Can't remember much after that. Never could get the bike to shift properly, and returned it back to the seller.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Have ridden motorcycles off and on since 1964. Mostly off since 1970 when I got married. Wife would ride with me, but only day trips.
First real trip was in 2006 when I got into riding trikes. Convienced SO to fly to Wilmington, NC with me to pick up the first trike and ride it back to Houston, TX. She agreed, but only after I agreed to stop and put her on a plane whenever she wanted. The trike was a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate with a Motor Trike kit. It was a total POS. The kit was poorly installed. Poorly maintained. The air suspension was leaking. The rear brakes were not working very good. The handle bars had been bent inward to try and make it handle better. (Not!!!). The tires were close to gone. But it was cheap and it looked good!!
We headed back to Houston. Rode through some beautiful NC country side. After first full day the air compressor for the suspension quit working. Now the left rear tire rubs against the finder in turns and dips. This thing handles like a dump truck and rides like a chuck wagon. Wouldn't stop on a quarter, much less a dime!! But........we continue on. Down part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Across part of the Smokie Mountains. Up to Lynchburg, TN to visit Jack Daniels. Down by Deal's Gap, Cherohola Skyway. Over to the Natchez Trace. Across Lousianna. 6 days and 2000 miles later, after being rained on, bouced around, almost fried (it was July), and generally be beat up by that hunk of junk, we pull up into the driveway of our house in Houston and the wife says "WOW! That was great. When's the next trip?"

I won!!!! :thumbup:

-Dan

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
my first motorcycle was a 1966 Honda CB160

yes i rode it everywhere but in those days everywhere was a lot different than it is today

the very very VERY rare BIG trip was about 60 miles one way !

i don't think i ever left the state of Wisconsin on a motorcycle untill the 80's

things sure have changed !

never had a new car but i've had 5 brandnew motorcycles !

·
Registered
249 Posts
First long trip was in September of 2007. Went to New England with a friend to visit his family. Had a great time. We followed a truck in New York wine country that was loaded with what seemed like the remains of crushed grapes. We followed it for over 10 miles and it smelled wonderful.

First long trip with the wife along was to AppleCade last May. We signed up for the ride led by Wheels. I am still trying to convince her that not all rides at these shindigs follow dirt roads and cross floating bridges. :roll:

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great thread Ron. My first bike was a Suzuki X6 Hustler. The year was around 1970, the bike was probably mid-60's. It was Feb. in Toronto and the seller said ride it home and try if for a few days. Maybe 20 miles - I froze. I put it in my parents' garage, at the top of a steep driveway. My father (a non-biker) asked if he could take it for a spin. Well, I thought, he flew fighter jets in WWII. Surely he can handle a lil ole motorcycle. He hopped on, went down the driveway, across the street, into snowbank, fell over and broke the chain. The bike wasn't even mine yet - I was devastated. Can't remember much after that. Never could get the bike to shift properly, and returned it back to the seller.
Paul: I remember those Suzukis. In Canada we called them a T20 in the Sates they called them the X6 Hustler. It was a sign of things to come for the 650 vertical twin crowd. The X6 could beat the 650 Bonnies for 0 to 60 and they were a mere 250 spit stroke. What a bike they were.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In 1988, I bought a brand new 1982 Suzuki Tempter 650. Bike was at a dealer that went bancrupt, my dealer got it after courts sold everything and assembled it. I put a luggage rack and back rest on it that would slide forward for the driver to use, or slide back when a passenger was aboard. In November of 88, I made a road trip from Dickinson, Tx to Llano, Tx, to go deer hunting on my uncles ranch. My parents carried my rifle and stuff up for me, so on the way out, I only had to get myself out there. Borrowed a buddies snowmobile suit cause that was a cold November-back before they discovered "Climate Change." I left after work one afternoon and had the next 10 days off! The drive to Llano was not too bad, till the sun went down. After that I FROZE. I would stop every half hour or so to warm up by running around the bike on the shoulder or in a parking lot. As the cold progressed, I would hold my hands next to the exhaust pipes to warm them. One time, when I realized hypothermia was setting in, I was thinking to myself "What is that noise? The engine hasn't sounded like that before." It was my hands sizzling on the exhaust pipe. Could not feel a thing. Got to the cabin, my aunt and uncle, who were paramedics at the time-shoved me into the shower for a while, massaged my hands and feet, wrapped my up and sat me by the wood burning stove until I quit shivering.
After a couple days hunting, I left and drove to Abilene to visit some college buddies, and since I left the option open to return to do some more hunting, my parents left my rifle at the cabin. On the way home, stopped by the cabin, picked up the rifle and strapped it on the back of the bike with my clothes. Drove through Houston like that. Would not do THAT today. Just as I was leaving Houston proper, my chain broke on the bike. The overpass just before I broke down-about a mile back, I passed a Houston cop. Instead of walking the mile or so to a gas station to use a phone, I decided I would wait for the cop to pass me. Took him an hour, and he pulled over 4 cars in the mile to get to me. He called a wrecker for me. The wrecker arrived, strapped my bike to his hoist and lifted it up and leaned it against the hoist and off we went. I believe we went to Stubbs Cycles, they found a chain and fixed me up, all within just a couple hours before closing. Made it home that night. Was hooked on motorcycles in spite of all that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I love these great storys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first road trip was in 1977 on my 1974 Suzuki GT750 water buffalo. Road from New Port Richey, Florida to Key West with a friend. She had a Kaw 900.
That one was pretty uneventful.

But........1981 I traded the ole buffalo for a 1979 Honda CBX. I put a Windjammer fairing, a king/queen seat, detachable KG saddlebags and trunk, and mommy and I left southern Indiana for Niagara Falls to celebrate our 2nd weeding anniversary on August 11. Had to stop at a Honda shop somewhere in Ohio and buy a set of brushes for the alternator, replaced them with the tool kit in the bike at a campground. We had no money, had stuff hanging everywhere off of the bike since we were camping. Set up camp 2nd night out at the KOA in Buffalo. Third day we crossed over into the Canadian side, spent the day and met a really neat couple also on a bike, that had came over from Detroit on the Canadian side.

As we are coming back across the border, the border patrol officer motions for me to pull over. They take Debbie and I in separate rooms, checking our ID's asking us questions and going through every square inch of the motorcycle. The other couple just stood by their bike patiently waiting on us.

Over two hours later, they finially say we can go. The other couple follow us back to the campground and set up their tent.

I went to the camp store to buy some firewood, as the temps had dropped to the low 40's and we had nothing more than light jackets. Afterall, it was August!!!!!! Camp store was out of firewood, I was trudging back to tell mommy we would just have to crawl into the sleeping bags and snuggle until it warmed up the next day.

On the way back to the campsite, I passed a camp where a ton truck with a huge load of wood was sitting in front of a 5th wheel camper. I didn't know they made campers that big!. I asked the guy if he would sell some fire wood, and he pretty sternly replied "They sell it at the camp store, get it there". I politely said, store is sold out, thanks anyway and I turned towards my tent once again.

The ole guy hollared out "hey kid" I hesitated, about what might come next, but I stopped, turned around and said "yes sir?". He asked if I was on the motorcycle? I said "yes, we rode up from Indiana."

Then he said "I watched you pull up, and it surprised me that you had such a big tent (we had a 10X10 dome), then you pull out two sleeping bags, and a king size air mattress. But when I saw you pull out the little air compressor to air it up, I couldn't stop watching to see what you pulled out next." (we also had a Coleman stove and Coleman lantern)

He then said, you take all the wood off my truck that you need. I thanked him, offered to pay him but he wouldn't take anything. I hauled several arm loads down to our site, and built a really nice fire. Within 10 minutes of the roaring fire, we had about a dozen other bikers come running up wanting to share the heat.

As we sat around swapping stories, the "nice couple" that Debbie and I had met, and hung around with all day, the same ones that patiently waited while border patrol raked me over the coals, said "Man, I am sure glad they stopped you and not me." I said "Why is that?" The guy says "Cause I had this with me." and he pulled his leather jacket open and removed a 20 gauge sawed off shotgun. I was like "Man, if they would have found that we all 4 would have been locked up" He was like "ya, no harm, no foul"

As the last stick of firewood started burning out, the bikers started running from the campfire like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Needless to say, then next morning, we packed up and left without seeing the other couple, as I wanted nothing to do with them.

It warmed up and the rest of the trip was pretty un-eventfull........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts