GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to ride up to Alpine , Az. soon. Can anybody tell me where is the best place to stay and enjoy the surroundings?Also, how are the roads up there? Might be pulling a trailer , haven’t decided yet if I’ll pull it it up there or not . Going for one overnite is all, then back to Mesa, az. Trip will be Mesa towards Clifton towards Alpine , thru Showlow, then Payson and back to Mesa. Thanks for any answers Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did that ride a couple of years ago and the roads were great.

I have posted this before (my apologies to those that have seen it) but here is what it looks like: [ame]https://vimeo.com/123020919[/ame]

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Watched the first video I was expecting to see a lot of sharp curves , since all 4 videos are 3 minutes Am I correct in assuming they are all the same video ? We are planning to ride out there about the last week in May.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Alpine is a dot on the map. There’s a little motor lodge type of deal there at the intersection. The owner of the RV Park heading out of town to the east is building a bunch of little cabins and I’m not sure if they are available yet.

I prefer to ride on down to Springerville and just stay at Reeds Motor Lodge that’s an old motor lodge but comfortable enough. You can walk across the street to a Mexican Cafe that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It kind of depends if you want to stay at the 8000 ft level or not I guess.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Watched the first video I was expecting to see a lot of sharp curves , since all 4 videos are 3 minutes Am I correct in assuming they are all the same video ? We are planning to ride out there about the last week in May.
Hwy 191 is an 88 mile trek through some of the most desolate areas of Arizona. Don't expect much in the way of cell service as well.

The average posted speed of this mind numbing experience is 30mph and takes an average of 90 minutes to complete.

Want twists? Too many to count as the rider is concentrating on their line and not going over the roadway edge.

Want switchbacks? Yeah, you'll find these as well and if you ATTEMPT to view the scenery, plan on going over the edge.

Want sweepers? Again, lots to count but still going back and forth.

Want scenic vistas? Got plenty of those, so plan on stopping in the road to see them. In other words, not many places to safely pull off the road for the views.

Not many places on this magical piece of roadway which allows you the opportunity to reach 3rd gear, as most of the time you'll be in first or second.

I keep hearing how magical that 11 mile stretch of road is back east, but this will literally wear you down both physically and mentally.

- David

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hwy 191 is an 88 mile trek through some of the most desolate areas of Arizona. Don't expect much in the way of cell service as well.

The average posted speed of this mind numbing experience is 30mph and takes an average of 90 minutes to complete.

Want twists? Too many to count as the rider is concentrating on their line and not going over the roadway edge.

Want switchbacks? Yeah, you'll find these as well and if you ATTEMPT to view the scenery, plan on going over the edge.

Want sweepers? Again, lots to count but still going back and forth.

Want scenic vistas? Got plenty of those, so plan on stopping in the road to see them. In other words, not many places to safely pull off the road for the views.

Not many places on this magical piece of roadway which allows you the opportunity to reach 3rd gear, as most of the time you'll be in first or second.

I keep hearing how magical that 11 mile stretch of road is back east, but this will literally wear you down both physically and mentally.

- David

What he said. Great road, but deceptively technical.

And watch for critters. This was 35 miles south of Alpine.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
http://www.sportsman778.com/ is where a group of us have stayed before. The owners are riders and will provide wash buckets with towels and cleaning cleaning supplies to remove the grime, grudge and White Mountain bugs off your steel stallion, two-wheeled scenic viewfinders.

Like already mentioned, a short walk around the corner brings you to two good cafes. Bear Wallow (south side) and I forget the name of the diner across the road.

- David

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice place:

TALWIWI LODGE
40 County Road 2220
Alpine AZ 85920 US
Phone 928-339-4319

Were going to stay here on the 2nd night in the area, but didn't get to because of the...you know...critter.

HANNAGAN MEADOW LODGE
23150 US-191
Alpine, AZ 85920
Phone 928-339-4370

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That other place is the Alpine Grill, which I actually prefer over Bear Wallow.

I do 191 as part of a day ride 600 mile loop from Phoenix. Fun road!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts