GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to ride up to Alpine , Az. soon. Can anybody tell me where is the best place to stay and enjoy the surroundings?Also, how are the roads up there? Might be pulling a trailer , haven’t decided yet if I’ll pull it it up there or not . Going for one overnite is all, then back to Mesa, az. Trip will be Mesa towards Clifton towards Alpine , thru Showlow, then Payson and back to Mesa. Thanks for any answers Mike

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
The road should be open, but...

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-g...morenci-close-repairs-thursday-2-27-19-a.html

I would NOT go before late April, as there could *still* be ice in patches in the shaded areas of the road - Hannagan Meadow north, mostly.

There's only a handful of places to stay in Alpine...and I would be calling them now to verify they will be open at this time of year.

Oh, you *can* get to Alpine by way of US-180 in New Mexico, if 191 happens to be closed.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Hannagan Meadows

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was fortunate to ride the Coronado Trail (Devils Highway) in January of 2014! Normally, Jan would not be a month for that ride, but there was very little snow that year and the weather was warmer than usual! That is one fantastic piece of rode!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Check out the following website for road conditions in the White Mountains: https://www.az511.gov/map

At present, it looks like Hwy 191 is open without any restrictions. Hwy's 273 and 261 are still closed due to the snow pack. I saw a recent photo from the Big Lake area and it appears there is still about 3' - 4' of snow on the ground, access only made via snowmobile or tracked vehicle. I highly doubt the Three Forks Road will open anytime soon, as well.

Regarding where to stay, several of us stayed at the Sportsman's Lodge in Alpine. Nice, comfy beds and rooms. The owners are riders who obligingly offer used towels, buckets and soap to wash your bike when you arrive. https://www.sportsman778.com/ for more information on this motel. Dinner, breakfast or lunch is a short walk to either Bear Wallow Cafe or the cafe across the street (sorry, can't recall the name). Both are good.

I'm looking forward to doing this ride soon as well, staying in the Granville CG once again just north of Morenci. Last year saw a group of us pulling into here just after dark, so we didn't really have a chance to enjoy the campground.

- David

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. I’m excited to go . Looks like sometime towards the end of April I think I’ll go and check it out. Going from the south up is that the best way to go towards Alpine? And is there much more scenery to see past Alpine at all ? Thanks again Mike

Should I just go up towards Alpine and turn around and do the ride back to Mesa after I stay the night up there? Scencery always look different both ways

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
While you're up there in Alpine, a cool loop is to take Three Forks Rd (FR 249 and assuming it's open) which is just outside of Alpine to the north. At Big Lake go north on 261 and east on 260 to Eager/Springerville, then 180 back to Alpine. That section of 180 between Springerville and Alpine, and Three Forks Rd are two of the prettiest rides in AZ....IMHO

Along with Three Forks Rd. Hwy 261 may be closed as well so check it first.

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I believe there was only one intersection in the town. I rode up 191 i believe from I.H. 10 and spent the night in the little motel on your right after you go through the intersection. Walking distance to diner around the corner. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Three forks is paved???

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
We rode south to north and I definitely want to go north to south.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts