GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning my return from a trip to Alaska this summer. I am currently thinking of taking a detour to Devil's Tower instead of heading directly to Great Falls. This detour will add 161 miles to my trip.

Do you think that Devil's Tower, and the sights I'll see along the detour, justifies the additional mileage?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It can get a little boring out in that area, but, if the weather isn't too hot
(and it can get that way) it's worth that many miles to see the Tower up close.
Spooky thing!!!!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Under normal conditions I would say going 161 miles out of the way to see Devils Tower and ride on the roads in that area would be a no brainier, but beings that you're going to be on your way back from AK, you may decide that you've had all the riding you want for a couple of days.

On my AK trip in 06 I had a couple of side trips planned for the way home, but when it came down to it, I said 10K miles is enough for this trip and punched in "home" on the GPS. You'll have to make your own mind up when you get to that crossroads. Enjoy AK and if you haven't rode there before, check out all the info in the Alaska board over at WWW.advrider.com.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Personally I thought it was cool as heck. Given a big ride (we did 9 states outta Chicago) 161 miles wasn't a big deal (we had the same question) and I found it cool as heck. Of course I loved the movie...but it was still cool.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Heading to Texas after Wingding in Billing in 2007 I was planning on seeing Devil's tower then Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Got on the road after spending the night in Bowman, North Dakota, cranked the XM radio up on my favorite Heavy Metal station and all the sudden I was at Mount Rushmore!

Brain must have gone into "Cruise Control" along with the Wing. There was no reason to miss it, the weather was beautiful, great scenery and enjoyable roads. (I actually liked the way I felt all alone in North Dakota!)

Still kicking myself for missing that, really wanted a picture of the Tower in the background and Wing sitting pretty out front.... Oh, well, I will just have to do another road trip....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the speedy (and helpful) responses!!

Based on:

Under normal conditions I would say going 161 miles out of the way to see Devils Tower and ride on the roads in that area would be a no brainier, but beings that you're going to be on your way back from AK, you may decide that you've had all the riding you want for a couple of days.
I will leave Devil's Tower in the plan with the idea that I can always bypass it if I've had enough miles at that point!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy do I feel stupid!! My mapping program brought up Devil's Tower in Montana when I did a search!.. It was Devil's Tower National Monument in Wyoming that I actually wanted. :oops:

Sorry to have bothered you fine Montana thread followers! :wrong:

Devil's Tower, Montana might be a lovely sight but I think I'll pass on the 161 additional miles I'd need to see it this trip!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It can get a little boring out in that area, but, if the weather isn't too hot
(and it can get that way) it's worth that many miles to see the Tower up close.
Spooky thing!!!!
Boring? Not in my opinion. It's true, I suppose that boring roads can be found in that part of the country but you almost have to search to find them. From Devil's Tower, you're within minutes of the Black Hills and a couple of hours of the Bighorn Mountains. I can stomach that much of northeastern Wyoming to get to great riding like that!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Devil's Tower (in Wyoming) is well worth the trip. And it is very close to Montana as well.

Nicole and I had a great trip through the Black Hills of South Dakota on this trip and it was exceptional!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts