GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the latest info on the Triangle. Did a search, but with my limited 'puter skills I couldn't tell when things were posted. I would like to find out the latest road conditions if possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You can always count on coal trucks on 116.
I live fifteen minutes from what is known as "the devils Triangle" and do not understand to appeal of this ride. It is like the dragon. If it is on your list,do it.

Here are two much better rides in the same area.
#1 From Oak Ridge,TN 62/61 to Oliver Springs. Right on 62. Right on 27 at Wartburg. Left on 62 to 127 North (Jamestown) 52 back to 27 south.

#2From Wartburg, 27 North to 52 (Rugby / Jamestown) 154 (Pickett State Park)
154 becomes 167 at KY line. Right on 1258 ( Church) Right on 92 back to 27 south.

Side trip and good food: At 27 ride north to 700 (right) Then right on 90 to Cumberland Falls. The falls is on your left. The lodge and restaurant is up the hill on 90.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My dad always told me the Devil's Triangle was located under a skimpy bikini.

He was wrong! :joke:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say
Absolutely, positively..............Uhhhhhh Huhhh :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I live fifteen minutes from what is known as "the devils Triangle" and do not understand to appeal of this ride. It is like the dragon. If it is on your list,do it.

QUOTE]

:agree:

I rode the devils triangle while at Wing Ding in July and was not impressed at all. I will not waste my time riding that road again.

·
Registered
102 Posts

QUOTE]

I rode the devils triangle while at Wing Ding in July and was not impressed at all. I will not waste my time riding that road again.
Same thing here. I rode it back in June, and thought it was a piece of crap road, with unreal turns and twist. If it is on your "to do" list, by all means do it. It was in very poor condition, and better suited for a mountain goat.

·
Registered
242 Posts

QUOTE]

I also rode it about 4 years ago after hearing and reading about it.
Big waste of time. I don't recommend it at all. Maybe ok on a beemer but majority is too rough for a wing. Also nothing to see but some old junk cars in someone's yard.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
:eek:4:This quickly hyped up road-will never know why-will and should die a fast death as being a motorcycle ride distination
You do not want to share the same road with and used by coal trucks:banghead:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
:eek:4:This quickly hyped up road-will never know why-will and should die a fast death as being a motorcycle ride distination
You do not want to share the same road with and used by coal trucks:banghead:
I don't know about "quickly hyped". I heard of it at least 5 years ago and rode it the 1st time probably 4 years ago with Boxmaker, WimpyHonda, TnCharlie and Pidjones.

I do agree it isn't for the faint-of-heart or the weak-of spirit because it has some uphill switchbacks that can strain your milk as well as so rough spot and drop-offs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks much.

Thanks for the info. There had been some tallk about some of us doing the triangle but perhaps it's not worth it. Will take a look at those other roads mentioned.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Report on TN116 between Petros and Lake City aka Devil's Triangle

I did a ride report on it in Rides, Trips and Events about six weeks ago (7-16-2011). I hear that the name and hype came from a guy trying to start a motorcycle campground on it. It was deserted when I passed it. BTW, it is a very nice ride when the road is in good shape. I'll post to Rides, Trips, and Events when it gets repaired.

From my report:

Funny name for it, since there are no good roads to turn it into three connecting legs. Anyway, I rode it today to see what the condition is and report here. I know many have mentioned interest in riding it, so....

Going from East (Lake City) to West (Petros), the road is in great condition until you top Braden Flats (the high point after the switchbacks - and where the first strip mine entrance is). The road has been beat up from there West, although repairs are evident and it is very rideable from there on to the split where 116 continues as gravel through Norma, and the blacktop goes across a railroad track and bridge. This is also another mine access point, and the road begins to suffer more (I suspect the mine on top of the hill has played out). Still, it is Ok for one-up all of the rest of the way to the Anderson County line. Once you hit Morgan County it gets very nice on through Petros. Running the return direction was much rougher (starting at the Anderson County line), with several patches fit only for the coal trucks. Please don't attempt West - East two-up!

Today there was also a lot of gravel, trash, limbs, and even tree falls in the road due to some major rainfall over the past couple days. Due to low traffic, it probably won't get cleaned off for a week or so.

The road is there for local access and commerce, which is coal for that area. I can't complain about the state of repair because I know the policy for most coal areas is to let the mine play out before returning it back to good condition. Efforts have been made lately to control water that had been washing over the road, and new culverts installed in several places.

A final caveat: I rode this on a Saturday and only saw four coal trucks (two were the monster mine haulers). During the week, there is probably a constant string of tractor-trailer coal haulers going from the four mines along the road and the coal tipple in the valley. Because of that, it would be wise to only ride it on weekends.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for the info. There had been some tallk about some of us doing the triangle but perhaps it's not worth it. Will take a look at those other roads mentioned.

Thanks again.
You will not be disappointed if you do the roads I mentioned. Especially in the fall.

Also 52 from Jamestown, TN to Livingston,TN is a great road.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I rode the triangle and loved it! no traffic at all the day i went :yes1:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Good Road

Yes you do have Coal trucks but it is managable there is also the Snake it is as good if not better. Road was mostly smooth some ruff spots.

Was there last month.

Sonney

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
TN 421. Bring up Google Maps and search for Shady Valley,Tennessee.
That is a nice area to ride.:cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts