GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any DFT owners had a leak around the door on the conversion? I have been doing maint. on my trike and decided to wash it yesterday. After drying it off, I opened the door to check and a towel inside the trunk was soaked and it was a large towel. I rechecked by drying and spraying around the door and had enough water inside that it took me several trys with a towel to get most of it out. It is a large leak. The gasket looks good. Just wondering if anyone else had had this and if you found a cure.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have a leak also,trunk door isn't one of DFT's strong points and the latch is next to nothing. If they would of taken a 1/2 hour to come up with something that would of worked, I would of been alot happier.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, at least now you have company Jr&Jr. I was gone today and did not have time to check it out more. I intend to look at it again tomorrow and hopefully find a solution. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
598 Posts
There are a couple of things you can check.

1. If you have carpet glued to the trunk lid make sure that the seal is sealing on the trunk door and not on the carpet. (ask me how I know about this) If it is then you will have to cut the carpet back away from the sealing area.

2. You can bend the fastener tab so that the door closes tighter, apply a little bit of silicone grease to the tab and the trike body where the tab contacts the body.

You can also run a piece of paper between the door and the seal to make sure that it is sealing. You may need a new seal, they are easy to install.

Wayne

·
Registered
952 Posts
My trunk would leak when I washed the trike but never leaked while riding in the rain. I guess the spray from the water hose was more direct. I tightened up the tang on the latch so it grips harder. Last time I washed the trike, no leak.
Doing what Wayne did accomplishes the same thing.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Charlie Sheldon sent me a PM telling me pretty much the same thing. I will try it today. The leak that I have is a big leak. I have not ridden it in the rain but have no doubt that it will leak. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My trunk leaks by around the door also - I am going to have my installer look at it when it gets warmer. The trunk door is the Achiles Heel of the DFT - I find it too narrow - getting a bag in or out is a nightmare and it's leaking. Other than that I love the conversion.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welch Dragaon. I agree about the door. I checked mine today and found it leaking from the top center left all the way to the bottom. I adjusted the latch but could not completely stop it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I, too, have experienced this leak problem. I did the latch bending thing and it seems to have stopped it. Putting the dollar bill in the door and closing to check for tightness works pretty good. I wish they had used a better latch system; I'm going to keep looking around to see if I can come up with something better. But I love the conversion too.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Very little to go wong with this conversion. If it has to have a weak point, I guess this is a good one to have. Very easy to solve. I have never had an issue with the trunk door being too small. I thing I'll keep this one. Of the three trikes I have owned, this one is by far the best.

-Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts