GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com

The DFW Defective Gene Pool will host its' 3rd Annual meeting (Ride to Eat style) February 22, 2014 at Big Ray's Bar-B-Que in Allen, TX. We'll begin gathering around 10:30am and hit the doors at 11:00 when they open for business==> www.bigraysbarbeque.com

DFW Defective Gene Pool Hall of Famer's Bill Thweatt and Bo Griffin will be there to welcome new inductee Ron Ayres
into the Hall of Fame and all of the rest of the "Defectives" from DFW will be out in force.

The "Pool" was formed by a few past IBR finishers to give DFW area long-distance riders and potential long-distance riders an opportunity to swap lies, renew old acquaintances, encourage new participants to the sport, and generally to celebrate the defective gene that runs common to us all. Other less notable pursuits may ensue. Projected attendees include several past IBR finishers and a host of LD riders with significant rally and IBA experience.

If you feel you have the "defective gene" that causes this madness or you just like to gawk at weird people, please join us for this enlightening gathering. There will be two informative seminars offered this year. Bo Griffin will deliver a one of a kind seminar entitled "How I ran out of gas twice in the Republic of Texas 1000 and still finished".
Also, Dianne Fox will share her insights on "Rally Flag Retention". (This will be a short seminar.)

For info or questions email Cliff Wall, [email protected], or call (214) 616-7327. See ya there!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Weather looks great in "Defective" land...

I hope you’re out riding today if you’re anywhere in the southern side of the U.S. The ice and cold have disappeared and been replaced with dry roads and warm temps. Next weekend looks great! If the weather gods see fit where you are please saddle up and join us next Saturday the 22nd. Ray (of Ray’s BBQ) is ordering up a little extra meat in anticipation of good weather and a good crowd. The Hall of Fame certificate is printed up for Ron Ayres and we’re ready for what will surely be a rousing induction by current Hall of Fame members Bill Thweatt and Bo Griffin.

Bo will also be giving his seminar – “How I ran out of gas twice in the Republic of Texas 1000 and still finished”, and Diane Fox will share her thoughts on “Rally Flag Retention.” Once again we’ll have a special award for the rider who rode the longest distance to get to the event. (Hint: It always takes more than 1,000 miles to make the “podium”.) And as always we’ll have special recognition for some of our honored guests, we’ll have a chance to promote any and all upcoming long-distance events, and there will be plenty of tire kickin’ and story tellin’, Texas style!

See you next Saturday!

http://www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com

·
Registered
293 Posts
Might try to stop by Saturday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Defective Gene Pool trek begins..

Several riders are already on their way to DFW. These potential “podium” finishers are vying for the longest rider award. Bill Thweatt has a very special prize in store for the winner. Hint: You might want to shoot for second place. The Hall of Fame certificate is framed and ready for presentation to the legendary Ron Ayres. Everyone ride safe. See you tomorrow morning. Tire kicking starts whenever you get there. Lunch starts at 11:00.

Ya’ll come.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Dianne Fox will share her insights on "Rally Flag Retention". (This will be a short seminar.)
:lol: :wrong:

Sounds like a fun time for all. Wish I'd heard about it a bit sooner. Maybe next year!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Several riders are already on their way to DFW. These potential “podium” finishers are vying for the longest rider award. Bill Thweatt has a very special prize in store for the winner. Hint: You might want to shoot for second place. The Hall of Fame certificate is framed and ready for presentation to the legendary Ron Ayres. Everyone ride safe. See you tomorrow morning. Tire kicking starts whenever you get there. Lunch starts at 11:00.

Ya’ll come.

Because I rode to the IBA Irving party and back last November, and enjoyed the route, I've been hoping and praying for the last week or two that the Michigan weather would allow me to ride down to the Allen area. Still have 18" of snow on the lawn and the driveway was a sheet of ice this morning. :cry:

Perhaps the meeting could be scheduled a little closer to Spring next year????? :thumbup:

I'm still comitted to the November Dallas area IBA party so not all is lost. :p

gramps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps the meeting could be scheduled a little closer to Spring next year????? :thumbup:

I'm still comitted to the November Dallas area IBA party so not all is lost. :p

gramps
Larry,

The date is chosen to avoid conflicts with the Spring riding season. Right around the corner from us is the IBA meet in Jax and a bunch of rallies and rides that we don't want to compete with. That said, it is always a crap shoot for our friends up north.

It was good to have you down our way last Fall. Glad you enjoyed the ride!. If the powers that be see fit we'll do it again this Fall with a new route. As yet we are not on the IBA calendar for 2014. You might want to lobby Mr. Kneebone for us.:lol:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Larry,

The date is chosen to avoid conflicts with the Spring riding season. Right around the corner from us is the IBA meet in Jax and a bunch of rallies and rides that we don't want to compete with. That said, it is always a crap shoot for our friends up north.

It was good to have you down our way last Fall. Glad you enjoyed the ride!. If the powers that be see fit we'll do it again this Fall with a new route. As yet we are not on the IBA calendar for 2014. You might want to lobby Mr. Kneebone for us.:lol:
OK, I understand and hope for next spring. :thumbup:

I'll send an email to Mike Kneebone and another to Howard Entman and give them my vote for repeating the Texas Memorial party. :p

Larry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lynn,

I'll try to post sooner on GL1800 next year. It is always about the same time of year. We post on the IBA Forum and MTF as well. And we'll update the website with next year's info as soon as possible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The website has been updated with photos from the 2014 event. Also, we've added our latest Hall of Fame member to the site. Thanks Ron for being such a good sport! And thanks to Robert Killbuck and Richard Swim for lending us their excellent photos.

Bill and I would like to thank you all for supporting our little "Defective" madness. We had a record crowd this year with 65 bikes and 70 attendees according to the Minister of Fashion who served at this year's Minister of Numbers.

From the smiles in some of these photos it's obvious a good time was enjoyed by all. See you down the road...

http://dfwdefectivegenepool.com/2014-photos.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts