GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many diabetics are still riding? Is it a serious safety factor? I ask because I have been diagnosed, but so far, take a pill (micronase) to lower my blood sugar and working on my diet. I'm responding well to the pill and may be able to get off the medication in time if I drop some weight and stay away from carbohydrates as much as possible.

Just curious. Thanks for any replies,
2W

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am also a diabetic and am riding all the time. you will be ok ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
keep riding

Take your meds,and ride your arss off!! Been riding 14 years since the doc gave me the news. I'm in my 60's and haven't slowed down.

How many diabetics are still riding? Is it a serious safety factor? I ask because I have been diagnosed, but so far, take a pill (micronase) to lower my blood sugar and working on my diet. I'm responding well to the pill and may be able to get off the medication in time if I drop some weight and stay away from carbohydrates as much as possible.

2W

·
Registered
4 Posts
Diabetic

I am diabetic and ride all the time. I make sure I have something with me just in case I get low on sugar. Make sure you eat and watch what you eat. Enjoy the rides.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm diabetic also and manage it with a few pills daily and watching my diet. You should be OK. Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Me too, I scuba dive, do track days, dirt bike and tour and sports ride on the street.

I don't do anything different than what I used to do before I was diagnosed. I just changed my eating habits, watch the carbs and sugar, not that I'm super heavy (175lbs, 5' 7")

My blood sugar is normally high, when the meds bring it down into the range the doctors want, I feel like sh%t, get light headed and poop my brains out.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Take care of yourself, eat right, exercise right, and get on with life.

1. Live with it or
2. Crawl into a shell.
The 2 choices. Sounds like you would be a candidate for number 1.

G

·
I think you will find 30-40% of the people in the US are diabetics so it just stands to reason that would be the approximate number who are riding with the disease.
With proper care I see no reason not to.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I do what I'm told and have never let diabetes slow me down.
So get out there and RIDE!!!

(Just keep in touch with how you feel and make sure you take care of yourself - you'll be just fine)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Been a diabetic for 32 years.....take 6 shots a day.....
Ride my motorcycle, play drums in two working bands in St Louis, Work on visual systems for flight simulators for a day job.
Never let it slow me down.

Mike

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I found out I was a Type 2 diabetic 4 years ago.
Lost 110# in 9 months, take Metformin and have every thing down to where it should be.
Ride all the time.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm diabetic and I've had a couple close calls.

First of all, I'm on Metformin and Glipizide ER. My original doctor had me taking 2000 mg of Metformin and 10 mg of Glipizide. As you might imagine, in order to keep my Blood Sugar above the collapse and die levels, I wound up putting on 70 pounds.

During that time, I wound up nearly passing out in a walmart on a long trip. My Girlfriend had never seen me have a hypoglycemic attack, but I had talked about it and explained that these attacks were the reason I did not drink at the time, more about that later. She handled it like a trouper.

What I learned was to eat something every couple hours and to check my blood sugar a little more often. Like twice as often when I'm racking up the miles.

Since then I have changed doctors, and I'm slowly taking off the weight.

My new Dr. has cut my meds in half, and I don't have those attacks as long as I'm not on my feet all day without time to eat something. I can drink again, Not a lot, I never was a big drinker, but I can have one or two. I worried for a long time that I would get violent if my Blood Sugar Crashed. It's never happened, but I don't push it.

When I'm riding, I'll often skip my night meds, because I just don't need them. I still have to have a cookie or something every couple hours.

Basically, don't give up riding.

I've put on 24,000 miles in the last 12 months, I don't plan on stopping.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Just got out of hospital today form looseing blood also told me i had high sugar and started me on meds. Guess we have to do what we have to do:-:)-(

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Just got out of hospital today form looseing blood also told me i had high sugar and started me on meds. Guess we have to do what we have to do:-:)-(
Hey, I can still ride.

It could be worse.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
2Wheeler,
I've been a Fat Kid all my life and maintained good health (what did I know, the numbers were good) 'til everything went South about 10 years ago. (about when I turned 55)

For three-four years I took all kind of pills for this & that and the other thing and still the numbers come back bad. I finally lost over a hundred pounds before things improved.

Now I'm completely off most of my meds and if you didn't know I was a diabetic, the numbers don't look like it. When I lost the pounds, I also lost the cigs and started eating 'real' food. High in protein and low sugar and carbs. Life style change does NOT mean you have to stop Riding. Matter of fact you'll feel so good you'll want to Ride even MORE! :thumbup:
thecruiser

·
Registered
159 Posts
Blood sugar

Been on pills and I had trouble going low so I changed Doc and spilt my meds in half. I then split my meds in half and take half morning and half in the evening. numbers have gone down and lost 35 lbs. Numbers are around 6.3.

Robert DePew

·
Registered
581 Posts
You can go to the Ram Mount web sight and get a handle bar mount for a I V for your insulin and you should be good to go. lol:yes1:

Seriously.. I am a type 2 controlled with diet. When traveling I always pack smart snacks and drinks for the trip.

·
Registered
569 Posts

2W
I have been a diabetic since 1985, am now insulin dependent, and still ride. Just don't let your blood sugar get too LOW, you can get real shaky, and nasty tempered. You will be just fine as long as you take care of your self and watch your diet. Even an occasional visit to the DQ is ok if you are careful.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I to am a Diabetic, take 2 shots a day and ride like I'm 20 years old.;)

Here is a diabetes forum, it has a lot of info and good people on it, Go check it out when ya have some time, also has live chat, wish this forum did.:lol:

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/

Has over 35k members..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts