GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dumb me
stopped at a restaurant, ended up chatting to someone as I stopped, did not fully shut off the ignition.
1.5 hrs later, back on the bike, dash lights on, not enough power to start it.

thankfully I have the 6 spd, with one person pushing, did a bump start, bike started up very easy....that would not happen with a DCT

had to stop 10 minutes later to pick up some stuff for my wife....bike started right up this time

great learning experience

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
FWIW, sometimes, in similar circumstances, just leaving it shut off for awhile will let the battery electro-chemical process do it's thing and recover enough to start it.

Of course, likelihood of success depends how long the vehicle was left on, the original condition of the battery, how much time it can be left to recover, how large a load/drain was connected etc etc.

But I have successfully used the 'leave it off to recover' method in the past.
Wasn't a motorcycle, but the battery doesn't know what it's installed in.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Farmguy - I did leave it for 10 minutes....it did start to turn over, but stopped...possibly leaving it for 1/2 hr or longer might have done the trick, but had a friend give me a push...and it was very easy to start

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Farmguy - I did leave it for 10 minutes....it did start to turn over, but stopped...possibly leaving it for 1/2 hr or longer might have done the trick, but had a friend give me a push...and it was very easy to start
I'd have bump started it in too. (and have done so with manual transmission bikes and other vehicles)

Was just that it can be a solution in some situations -- but not necessarily the circumstances in this thread. Probably would require time measured in hours rather than minutes -- again, depending on how much it had been drained.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes. Always locking the front forks is a good habit to have. I do this all the time and bike should always be off since you have to turn the knob twice.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Yep, I use the method Hulkss noted and it works even if the bars are straight or not all the way into lock position. "Wait for the beep."

prs

·
Registered
273 Posts
dumb me
stopped at a restaurant, ended up chatting to someone as I stopped, did not fully shut off the ignition.

thankfully I have the 6 spd, with one person pushing, did a bump start, bike started up very easy....that would not happen with a DCT

had to stop 10 minutes later to pick up some stuff for my wife....bike started right up this time

Another advantage of the Manual vs DCT (LOL - just had to get that in for all those "manual haters").

But seriously - which gear did you use to bump start, and was it difficult for one person to push you fast enough?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another advantage of the Manual vs DCT (LOL - just had to get that in for all those "manual haters").

But seriously - which gear did you use to bump start, and was it difficult for one person to push you fast enough?
one person pushing me, used first gear, on the level so was not that fast, dumped the clutch, fired right up

·
Registered
22 Posts
dumb me

I carry a very small inexpensive ($79) jump starter-usb charger. It started my 3.7 liter car engine five consecutive times with a dead battery...cheap insurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts