GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I did some fork work on my CSC. I only changed the oil in the forks and installed some racetech springs. Cleaned out all the old oil best I could then replaced it with Mobil1 syn ATF. While doing the forks I had the tire off and shook the fork legs and could feel a ever so slight movement. Wasn't to bad a job. The antidive is functional but I have relieved the preload on it. It has the rake kit with fork extenders.

Result was no more bottoming out all the time. Forks are smooth on all but the worst of bumps and potholes. But alas the dreaded wobble still existed.

So today I decided to check the stem bearing torque. The forks would move with the slightest touch. Tore it down and found a few little things. The lock nut was loose, not just finger tight, BUT LOOSE! But the bearing nut seemed tight. So I let the tire back to the ground and used a (OMG) screwdriver and tapped it a little tighter. (I was worried after reading all the debate over torque values for this nut. And NO I DID NOT HAVE THE SPECIAL TOOL. Probably only moved the nut about 3/16 around the circumference. Flame suit on.) Jacked it back up and turned it using the wheel. Felt smooth and not too tight, but a bit more snug than before. Reassembled everything.

Took it for a little run. WOBBLE GONE!!!! The force to start the wheel to turn is nominal, prob a couple pounds of force. It drives wonderfull now. Tomorrow the wife and I will do a 800 mile RT. It really performs so much better now. I was hesitant to do any of this without the special tools. But fortunately it all turned out well.

Along with this work I fixed the tabs on my chrome lower cowl. Fixed a loose exhaust cover, removed one Fog light and checked the bulb(was bad ordered 2 new ones). Next on the list is to have all the tires rebalanced. Maybe dyna beads in the front. And work on the communications system for my pillion.

Kudos to all that post here! From the info gleened from here from all of you, made this job very dooable. And having a Honda shop manual. I am by no means a pro mechanic, but have turned wrenches most my life. So for those of you somewhat mechanically inclined I say, "GO FOR IT!!! IT AIN"T THAT HARD!!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Lectric, u've been busy!

Glad every thing has worked out. Have a good trip.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts