GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking air pressure this afternoon and noticed a shiny spot on the tire. That shiny spot turned out to be a 2.5 inch 10p nail with the head already worn off. Fortunately it did not penetrate into the core of the tire.

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Was checking air pressure this afternoon and noticed a shiny spot on the tire. That shiny spot turned out to be a 2.5 inch 10p nail with the head already worn off. Fortunately it did not penetrate into the core of the tire.
The steel cord was doing its job :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, I lost one. Thank God you found it. I was worried that it might puncture someone's tire and cause a flat.>:)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
One ride out to Death Valley, upon arrival I checked into the motel and checked over the tires. My usual inspection.
I saw what looked like 2 finishing nails sticking out of the rear tire, about 3/4 inch from each other. They did not want to pull out
easily. As it turned out it was about 1/3 of a spring coil in and out. This also did not penetrate through the tire. I'm glad yours was the same!
Definitely a lucky one.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I'm aware that the front tire can flick debris up. And even the air from the passing tire and bike can lift something.
I once got a flat from the flat retainer clip from a roller chain.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Did you ever wonder how a nail just laying on the street gets turned in such a way to poke through a tire? Why doesn't it just lay there and get run over?

I think that might be the buttered toast on a cat's back theory there.:grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts