GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody watch the ABC Primetime show Saturday? They had a segment about a group of "Stuntahs" called the Chucktown Shutdown. It was about a group of young sportbikers trying to defy the cops and shutdown the big suspension bridge in Charleston SC. It glorified the group of thugs. They interviewed the so-called 'leader' of the group. Treated him like he was doing something good, right, fun, something. They even aired a tape of one of these idiots doing over 140 mph running from a LEO, speeding, weaving in and out of traffic and running at least 3 red lights. They also included some tape from the day of the 'shutdown' and again interviewed the 'leader' showing the t-shirt he was wearing imprinted with the words "COPS LIE". They aired footage of a number of participants with the same t-shirt.

I am VERY disappointed with ABC for airing and glorfying this group of thugs. What next, a show about your poor misunderstood drug dealer?

If you google "Chucktown ShutDown" you can watch the 'report' on youtube.

Let me know what you think of the show and of ABC news.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Never saw the show.But have seen vid of what your saying.Can,t beleive these punks get away with this crap.Stayed in your little town a few years back really injoyed it.
Bill

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes,
I saw the segment. While I don't agree with what the bikers are doing dreaking the law, I simply do not have a problem with the segment. It's no different than other pieces on the other side of the law. And I'm certainly not willing to move to a country that places those restrictions on the media.
As far as glorifying the event, I disagree. It showed the cops strength and ability to control the situation. The leader was cocky until after the "shutdown", then there was disappointment on the failure to live up to the hype.
I will say that the video of the guy running from the police was crazy. If you noticed the police were documenting the event, and I'm pretty sure they can subpoena the onboard video that the network had, so I would guess that guys riding days have been shortened. And I would guess the documentation of the event could bring other problems for the so called "leader".

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Punks like this give all motorcyclists a bad name. ABC should be ashamed for giving legitimacy and credence to a bunch of hoodlums. Glorifying it will only encourage more of this type of behavior. ABC never, that I heard, criticized or condemned these actions, and by not doing so, condoned it. JMO

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Punks like this give all motorcyclists a bad name. ABC should be ashamed for giving legitimacy and credence to a bunch of hoodlums. Glorifying it will only encourage more of this type of behavior. ABC never, that I heard, criticized or condemned these actions, and by not doing so, condoned it. JMO
:agree: If you don't condemn it, you condone it.If you condone it , you accept it . If you accept it , you embrace it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you don't condemn it, you condone it.If you condone it , you accept it . If you accept it , you embrace it.

I hate the way some of these posts turn antagonistic, so I apologize if I offend anyone when I ask:
Do you really want a media that takes a political or moral stance in every segment they report?
I know I don't. Heck, I watch "gangland" also upon occasion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:agree: If you don't condemn it, you condone it.If you condone it , you accept it . If you accept it , you embrace it.

Seriously? That's a huge logical fallacy right there.

I don't condone those guys, but I enjoyed the segment. Does that mean I need to pick up a Hayabusa and streak from cops with them?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I find as I get older and realize the youngsters that are coming behind us are morons. They're assuming the responsibility of running businesses and industries and making a mockery of it. Maybe it's linked to the educational system that seems extremely liberal. OK! I'll step down from my soap box and end this because I could continue ad infinitum.

LAW

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I watched. Don't condone the stunts performed on public streets and in traffic, but wasn't surprised by ABC's lack of commitment to one side or the other. Seems to be pretty normal in MSM these days...they don't seem to condemn any behaviors anymore...especially that which is inappropriate. We are a nation that idolizes minority interests. JMHO.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Haven't watch ABC,NBC,CBS, CNN, HNN in about 5 years. Don't feel they report the news accurately. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
It is extremely difficult to report fact without injecting philosophy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A few bikers trying to make us look all bad

Like others I don't condone what they were planning, the police were very good at their job and prevented what could have been a serious problem. Instead of glorifying what the bikers were trying to do, we should be thanking the police for the excellent way they did their job. Stop highlighting the wrong actions, we all don't act that way.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I saw it a few months ago. What I didn't understand, the bikers were planning on shutting down a suspension bridge. Why didn't the police let them go ahead and then just seal off both ends of the bridge, arrest and impound all the bikes...

The only reason, I could come up with, was the officers were concerned about the safety of other drivers that may have been caught up in a large number of bikes as they gathered towards the bridge.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
If you don't condemn it, you condone it.If you condone it , you accept it . If you accept it , you embrace it.

I hate the way some of these posts turn antagonistic, so I apologize if I offend anyone when I ask:
Do you really want a media that takes a political or moral stance in every segment they report?
I know I don't. Heck, I watch "gangland" also upon occasion.
No, I do not!

Haven't watch ABC,NBC,CBS, CNN, HNN in about 5 years. Don't feel they report the news accurately. ;)
I with ya! If it weren't for my wifes cop show and mindless sitcom addiction, I wouldn't even own a television!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts