GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting out on a four day tour today I pushed what I thought was the cruise control button but was actually the reverse button. When I noticed what I had done I pulled over and reverse would not work. I got a cup of coffee and after that it worked. Did I do any damage? It seems the older I get the more I do stuff like this.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I sure hope not cuz I've done that a couple of times. :wrong: My reverse still wurx! :eek:4: Good thing too since pushin Big Red backwards uphill is a chore I don't wanna take on.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Unlikely. Since "reverse" only engages when the transmission is in neutral, nothing really happened. And even if it were in neutral, I beleive that there are protections which prevent it from engaging if the bike is traveling more than a certain "safe" speed forward.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Starting out on a four day tour today I pushed what I thought was the cruise control button but was actually the reverse button. When I noticed what I had done I pulled over and reverse would not work. I got a cup of coffee and after that it worked. Did I do any damage? It seems the older I get the more I do stuff like this.
If you were riding and hit the reverse button, what you were actually doing was activating the starter. Shouldn't have hurt anything as all it did was spin the starter over. Make sure your bike is in neutral with the kickstand up or reverse won't work. Give that a try.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No harm done on an 1800 all it does is turn off your headlight while the button is depressed.

There was a thread on this in the last two or three days.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Puzzle-man...the other post was regarding pushing the starter button while traveling...here he mentions pushing the reverse button while traveling...

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
No damage. You just engaged the starter motor and all it does is spin. You can hear it, but it does nothing damaging and does not affect reverse.

Most likely when it did "not work", you either were in gear or had the kickstand down. Must be in neutral with kickstand up for reverse to operate.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you push the reverse button and then start down the road all it does is flash the reverse light on the dash. To get the light to go out you have to push the button, stop and shift to neutral. Things will be fine after that, I have an EC Tank bag and once and awhile when I turn the handle bars too far it will bump the reverse button

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
No harm done on an 1800 all it does is turn off your headlight while the button is depressed.

There was a thread on this in the last two or three days.

Used to warn oncoming vehicles of a LEO and his friendly radar gun!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts