GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am a proponent of ABS. I sing its praises almost daily (metaphorically you weirdos! :lol:).
Anyhow, I was tooling along in moderate traffic, nothing too heavy, and had one of those, "oh S**t" moments.
I looked away for a second and looked back in time to see that everything was stopped in my lane. I pulled the front lever and immediately started manually adjusting brake pressure to stop.
The part that has me thinking I out braked (is that even a word) the ABS is that the front tire chirped, but the lever was silky smooth all the way till I let off. There was no ABS modulation what-so-ever.
So, either the ABS did not work
Or the Honda ABS does not use modulation like other ABS
Or, I out braked the ABS.
If it was the third option, I never would've thought it was possible on a smooth flat dry surface.
BTW I still feel the ABS clicking at stop lights when I'm keeping pressure on the lever.
What do you guys think?:shrug:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Many myths on this board about ABS. Anyone is free to think and convince themselves of anything they want, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dry flat surface, you very well may have "outbraked" your ABS.
It is possible to stop faster without ABS in many situations.

ABS shines in slippery stuff and over-braking. ABS is NOT designed to stop you "faster". It does so in most situations because it is doing what it "is" made to do and that is keep you in control by not letting the wheels lock while keeping a maximum pressure just short of a slide.

It is also possible to lock the tires with ABS, although it isn't probable in the modern systems.

YMMV

·
Registered
654 Posts
Like TXRealtor already said, its very possible. I know when I took the military sport bike class a couple weeks ago (yes, on my Goldwing) I was stopping both with and without ABS, I too noticed an effective quick stop could be done in a shorter distance than an ABS assisted stop on dry pavement. Makes perfect sense when you consider an effective quick stop involves using maximum braking pressure without locking up the front or rear tires thus providing complete stopping power to the pavement the whole time. ABS basically brakes, then releases brakes multiple times faster than you or I could modulate the system manually to prevent tire lockup and thus preventing a skid. This modulation also means your taking longer to stop, not a bad thing when you consider the option of locking up the tire and going into a skid. Its always good to practice quick stops in a parking lot reaching for a goal to stop quickly without having the ABS kick on.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Glad to hear that you dodged the bullet!

There have been several times when I really grabbed a handful (and some right foot, too) and managed to stop in time -- without any tell-tale signs from the ABS -- and wondered if I was that good. Either way it's nice to know that, if I had to, I could 'panic' and come out better than without ABS.

On related note, I ride with PGR. Some of our rides get a bit 'crowded', with a few riders whose skills could be better. Several times I've seen & smelled the rubber from locked-up rear wheels. So far, no one has 'lost it' and gone down.

·
Registered
396 Posts
come on now... a skidding tire will not stop as fast as one that is being braked to the maximum, right at the edge of skidding.

That's why us ice skaters don't use wheels.

If your wheels did not lockup you were getting the results of non skidding tires, either thru your antilockbraking, or the fact you still had a ways to go with you pedal force.

I'm sure you didn't not out brake your abs, but I also sure we'll never know!

ABS is certainly the way to go, if TXRealtor is correct. Just outbrake it and you'll never use it, stop shorter, and get good resale on your bike..

..louie

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The ABS on my 07 gives no physical indication that it has engaged. I do hear the tires chirping. Our old Chevy and my 91 BMW, on the other hand, were/are very noisy in operation.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The ABS on my 07 gives no physical indication that it has engaged. I do hear the tires chirping. Our old Chevy and my 91 BMW, on the other hand, were/are very noisy in operation.
I'm almost positive I used the ABS on my 06, but never felt it engage like I have in cars.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
You'll know it when it engages, there will be no doubt in your mind. You'll feel the brakes release and then re-engage, and the bike will lurch forward a few feet when it releases.

It is VERY difficult to lock the front tire on this bike at any speed above about 20mph. I know because I have tried to intentionally when I did some brake tests for Max. I can do a four finger grab and pull the front brake lever in as hard and as far as I can at 60mph and the front wheel won't lock until the bike slows down below about 25mph. There is just too much downward force on the front wheel and too much weight on it for it to slide.

You might get it to slide easier if you increased the front tire pressure or were driving on cold tires, but under normal circumstances, you are REALLY going to have to make an effort to lock the front wheel on this bike on dry pavement.

Now the rear is a whole other story.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know it is possible to out-brake an ABS system on dry land. When I had a Beemer, I took an advanced rider training course and took several runs in the "Braking Chute" both with, and with out ABS. (On that bike you could turn off the ABS). My measured non-ABS stops were shorter every time.

Of course, that was under ideal non-panic conditions. I would never buy a bike wihout ABS.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I tested the abs on the wing in the experienced rider course and had the front tire chirping, the front brake lever had zero feed back of the abs operating...also survival tested (front tire chirping) on the streets of Phoenix one time. So, your abs may have been activated with out feeling it in the lever. My main thought, at the time, was not getting unseated by the dramaticly fast breaking.....how embarrasing to get thown over the handle bars by your own brakes!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
First off, I am a proponent of ABS. I sing its praises almost daily (metaphorically you weirdos! :lol:).
Anyhow, I was tooling along in moderate traffic, nothing too heavy, and had one of those, "oh S**t" moments.
I looked away for a second and looked back in time to see that everything was stopped in my lane. I pulled the front lever and immediately started manually adjusting brake pressure to stop.
The part that has me thinking I out braked (is that even a word) the ABS is that the front tire chirped, but the lever was silky smooth all the way till I let off. There was no ABS modulation what-so-ever.
So, either the ABS did not work
Or the Honda ABS does not use modulation like other ABS
Or, I out braked the ABS.
If it was the third option, I never would've thought it was possible on a smooth flat dry surface.
BTW I still feel the ABS clicking at stop lights when I'm keeping pressure on the lever.
What do you guys think?:shrug:
Yo Ned.You realize ABS doesn't kick in when you're only doing 15 MPH right.Gettin slow in your old age huh.:shrug:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have to agree with GaryG - you will NOT feel the ABS through through the front brake lever or brake pedal.

Sorry, Fred, have to disagree with you on this one.

I talked to a Honda rep a couple of years ago, he stated that with the first ABS systems, you could feel the brakes on, then releasing, then on again.

ABS brakes have advanced so much, that you cannot detect when the system is actually releasing.....

I have heard the chirping when doing some exercises in parking lots, but did not feel any difference in the lever.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have done a full on all I could mash and squeeze braking from 60 mph on my 05 and couldn't feel it in the pedal or the lever. I did leave a slight black mark on the pavement. It was also all I could do to stay off the front of the seat. Everyone should do it once or twice just so they'll know what to expect.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I have to agree with GaryG - you will NOT feel the ABS through through the front brake lever or brake pedal.
Really? Given my experience with ABS equipped cars (crown vics, and my wifes 2010 Mazda), I would think that you would notice it. In cars at least, you most certainly hear the "growl" of the braking system as it modulates the brake pressures.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Really? Given my experience with ABS equipped cars (crown vics, and my wifes 2010 Mazda), I would think that you would notice it. In cars at least, you most certainly hear the "growl" of the braking system as it modulates the brake pressures.
I agree....on cars...but that is not what we are discussing, is it? Practice on your wing, then report back.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I agree....on cars...but that is not what we are discussing, is it? Practice on your wing, then report back.
Don't own a wing.

And I honestly don't know, so please don't assume I am trying to argue. But are the ABS systems on motorcycles that drastically different than the systems on cars? One would think that the system and it's components would operate in a manner similar enough that you would notice when the ABS was activate.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I had a Nissan Pulsar, (2 litre), with ABS and had to use it in anger. The brake pedal pulsed something fierce. The Wing, when I tested it on a wet road at around 80 kph, hauled up real fast, no pulsations felt.

My guess is the bike system may monitor the wheel rotation at a higher frequency thus releasing and applying the brakes many times faster than the car hence no large puslations are felt.

Trev.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have done repeated quick stops with ABS as demos. You do not feel any pulsing in the brake lever or pedal.

You will see short patches of skid marks on the pavement where the ABS grabbed and released. You can feel that sensation if you are in tune with the bike. The tires do not even chirp. But you better be ready for a really fast stop!

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I have done repeated quick stops with ABS as demos. You do not feel any pulsing in the brake lever or pedal.

You will see short patches of skid marks on the pavement where the ABS grabbed and released. You can feel that sensation if you are in tune with the bike. The tires do not even chirp. But you better be ready for a really fast stop!

This is exactly my experience as well. You don't feel it in the brake handle, but you will feel it grab and release. You'll also really have to work hard to engage the ABS on dry pavement.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
to BMX dad,

you are correct on the Crown Vic's and many other systems. Definitely could feel when the abs was working.
Had the opportunity to ride the first BMW m/c's with abs, and you could feel them pulse.

Does the Harley pulse?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts