GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am new to this site. I have been riding a VTX retro and my wife hates it because the passenger seat it not the best and I put on some after market pipes that bark a little. I love this bike and will not part with it. However I am retired and like the wife to go with me so I just purchased a 03 GL1800A which has arrived at the dealer and awaiting a new chip to be installed. This bike is not is the frame recall range but now I am seeing reports of cracks showing up in the frame not associated with the recall. If I tell my wife about this I am sure she will never get on this bike (not sure I want to). Due to pick up the bike next week. Maybe I should just forfit the deposit and walk away? What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well Forest ?..........Thats gonna be a tough call. The 1800 is a great bike and there's no doubt about that ! But coming where you are ? I would have to take a wait and see attitude. Just explain to the dealer about the suspected frame issue and if he's worth his salt he will give you your money back until all issue's are taken care of one way or the other. If he doesnt ? Then maybe he's not the dealer you should be dealing with in the first place. I would hope the deposit is not a large one. This could get real ugly, I'm not saying it will. But if I were you I would hold back, why go through the agony if you don't have too !

G

·
FORREST said:
......Maybe I should just forfit the deposit and walk away? What do you all think?

HONDA made the mistake...wether it be not enuff testing, poor design of the frame, etc. Can happen to any manufacturer. The reputation of the Goldwing is larger than life, MOST owners are satisfied, it's a great bike overall. If I were you i'd be honest with your wife, tell her NUTTING and buy the bike :lol:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
FORREST said:
This bike is not is the frame recall range but now I am seeing reports of cracks showing up in the frame not associated with the recall. If I tell my wife about this I am sure she will never get on this bike (not sure I want to). Due to pick up the bike next week. Maybe I should just forfit the deposit and walk away? What do you all think?
Forrest:

Only you can really answer your question. What's your risk tolerance?
We all here have had the angst about the frame cracks.
There were verified reports of cracks out of range about the time the weld procedure was issued.

Then there were cases where some got new bikes and others didn't.

One fellow got a new bike and it was reported that Honda wanted it back.
Mixup they said. It was a "loaner". I can't verify that nor do I know how it turned out. Wife 'n I met a couple at a rest area in Kentucky last year who knew the fella and rode with him - they told the story.

Should you walk away? I don't have an opinion except to say.

It is very worrisome. How well do you tolerate worry and your wife's worry? If you are going to really agonize over it, then yes walk.
If you can take it in stide, then don't.

I doubt you'll get many opinions to your question that differ significantly from what I've stated.

Best of Luck on whatever you decide.
Keep us informed will ya?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Somehow I expected everybody would say to get the bike no question. Now I am thinking hard on this. I retired because I wanted to be sure to have some time in my life before cashing in. If this bike is going to split in half at 65 mph on the highway I pray I would be killed if my wife was seriously injured or killed. I could not live with that. Deposit was only $500 and I can easily walk away from that. But then .....

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Getting Bike

I have a 02 ABS with 18050 miles on it. It did not have a problem with the "cracked welds Etc". It was not rewelded. It was not in the recall vin range. I had to cancel my X county mc trip when I first got the bike because it overheated in heavy traffic. ECM replaced, once that was done, bike was great. Or so I thought. I am having the dealer pick the bike up Thursday because of a possible frame crack on left side in area of main frame near passenger peg area in the main frame. What appears to be a "crack" is there and I can feel it with fingers. I have photos now. If I was looking at a Wing, I would think twice. That is me, others will say "go for it" Take your choice. If you get one that dosn't overheat, trunk latches work more than 4 months without having to be replaced, the CB gets more than 500' direct line of sight communications, the CD changer dosn't jam up, the frame dosen't have a crack, you will have a great bike. Again, roll the dice, cause it has become a crap shoot. :roll:

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Maybe I should just forfit the deposit and walk away? What do you all think?
Maybe you should run away, not walk away from the 1800. I have over 45,000 on my 18's and have had a blast. I have also had many problems, but not a frame break or crack (not yet anyway)!

I've enjoyed the last couple years on a 1800, not the first regret even though I cop a real attitude about American Honda Customer DisService at times. If your dealer won't go to bat for you, don't expect Honda to help you. At least that has been my experience so far.

It's your coin, do what you feel you need to do. If you have a great dealer it will make life easier. If I didn't have great dealer support I would have sold my first 18 when it went up in smoke and caught fire! :( I would have been back on a Valk.

Good Luck..........

·
Registered
267 Posts
Check your local laws, in some states it is illegal for a dealer to keep your deposit, regardless of the reason for wanting out of the deal.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Forrest - okay I'll give you my opinion for some additional input. The past 24 hours and I am afraid the next few weeks are pretty predictable. I've seen this before and yes while a single new incident is apparently an item of focus, I am not the less amazed that many jump on this like vultures and say or think you should forego a decision to buy your new bike because of this situation as opposed to thousands and thousands and thousands that have been produced and ridden safely each and every day. Gosh, to put it in that context because there was maybe a few dozen accidents within a 50 mile radius of my home today I should no longer consider driving a safe and viable option for transportation and I should consider another option for travel.

Forums are great most of the time, and the sharing of information and exchange of "how to's" or accessories is extremely valuable, but I get concerned when people start jumping to conclusions and decisions when all the facts and all the information is extremely limited and isolated to a single new founded event. Now help me understand this, more owners do not participate in forums than do, far far far more owners have had little to none or minor problems that have been competently resolved and handled - many thousands in fact, and yet a new reported incident happens and now the bike maybe unsafe and inspite of literally thousands of comments by other owners of how much they love and enjoy this bike that has been the best bike they every owned, the minor situation takes weight and things might be on hold.

I think I need to go on another long long ride with my motorcyle and give my internet access a rest. I wish these situations had some degree, some remote resembleance to a particle of perspective. They simply don't.

My opinion on your decision is keep informed, but get your bike and enjoy it for the great bike that it is. I'm thoroughly enjoying mine and the thought of not owning or driving it is absolutely unthinkable.

DaleC

·
Registered
113 Posts
Forrest
I bought a new 02 last June. Just turned 7000 miles today. Not in the vin recall range. I have had 7000 miles without ANY problem whatsoever........NONE. I looked at used 1500's first but I felt unsafe due to the height if the bike(my inseam is 29"). I must admit had I gotten on any of these boards and looked at all the problems of the 1800 I would have purchased the BMW.
I really love the 1800. I am glad I am not in your shoes but if it were me I would try to get my deposit back. I wonder if you will ever really feel comfortable and safe on the thing if you purchase it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Forrest,
We bought our '20 IB early last fall through ebay from a dealer in Spokane. I rode it home the same day. Did not know about overheat probs, frame cracks, etc. When I became informed,I had the ECM changed and determined I was outside the frame crack range. I check the bike every so often, perform the required maintenance, and just ride and enjoy it with my wife. We have a little over 12K on it now and are leaving for Phoenix next week for ABW:D :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I purchased my '02 new in March of 2003 and have almost 14K miles on it. It survived a 4 mph slog through I-75 traffic last June in Knoxville with no overheating. I regularly commute 35 miles each way in rush hour traffic on a 10 lane Interstate, again with no overheating on the original (not the recall) ECM. To date, the only failure was the LH saddlebag latch, which I repaired in about 10 minutes (thanks, Fred H.). Mine is outside the frame recall range but I check it regularly. I do all my own maintenance and would have absolutely no qualms about hopping on the bike tomorrow and heading to California, swinging north to Seattle, making a right turn for NYC and another right for Key West. I'm not sure how I'd pay for gas, oil and tires but I know the bike would be fine. If there were 60 frame failures out of the total of roughly 60,000 units sold, statistically your odds calculate to about 1 in every 1,000 or about .01%. I'm not sure how many documented frame failures there are but I'm betting the number is lower than 60. I can live with those odds.

markie

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have been around on my 01 1800 wing without any trouble to speak of and I wouldn't hesitate to take the bike you have on lay a way and ride it anywhere in the world. If there is a problem you can take it back to the dealer and let him take care of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
mistake?

I had an 01 with 7000 miles and no troubles. I sold it because of a divorce. Had my choice this month between a new 03 or an 04. I choose the 03 because of color. I would buy the bike if it's what you want and not be concerned about what ifs.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Javern said:
HONDA made the mistake...wether it be not enuff testing, poor design of the frame, etc.
I'd have to say it isn't an issue of the frame design or not enough testing, because the frame cracks are showing up on the later model bikes, not the older ones. So there was something in the process that went bad later in the game. I don't think there has been any "spontanious" frame cracks in anything older than the '03s, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. :)

FORREST,
The 1800 is an awesome machine! You haven't said whether or not you have ridden it, but if you have, you already know that. Your wife will love the back seat. As Dale C. said, there are a much larger number of happy 1800 owners than there are ones with problem bikes. Understandably, the owners with problem bikes are a much louder minority, as I would be if I spent all that $$ on something with problems.

Reading these boards gives some the impression the sky is falling. It isn't. It might rain every now & again, and no one likes to get wet.

I've got almost 54k on my '01 (would be a lot more if my "favorite uncle" :unclesmile: would let me stay home long enough to ride... lol) and I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

As also stated by others, if y'all are the worrysome type, I guess you'd be better off walking away fromt his deal. Would hate to ride worrying everytime I hit a pothole my bike was going to explode. But if it makes you feel any better, there has been no major accidents or injuries caused by the frame cracks. Sure, some will say "yet", but it is something you can mitigate the risk on. Inspect your frame and then get on an ride it like you stole it!! :D

Another option would be to find a good deal on an older bike, an '01 or '02, have the ECM done, and enjoy it. There are lots of great deal on used bikes with low miles and not much customization done to them. Or for that matter, there are some that are already tricked out and you'll save money on the extras. That is what I did.

Life is too short to spend it sitting on the sidelines worrying! I'd get the bike again in a heartbeat!

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
469 Posts
Forrest

Git th Wing Bro you'll be glad ya did, i know i am. Three years & 77,000 miles later i feel i made ah very good choice gittin my 01 1800 Wing. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
550 Posts
bike

I have an 03 with 16000 trouble free miles on it. Have seen the temp gauge go up once, but the bike did not puke. Was fortunately out of the frame recall range. Rarely ride as slow as 65, and haven't experienced one second of doubt that the bike will do, and keep doing what it was designed to do.
If you are not confident in the bike, you definately shouldn't get it, because it will make you crazy worrying about what might be. You can see that from all the other posts on the frame issue over the past year.
I plan to ride mine till it disintigrates and not spend a moment worrying about resale value. I bought mine to smile and enjoy, not to worry about.
Good luck,

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi Forrest;
I have an 03 outside of the recall range with the new ECM done. I have had 6500 wonderful miles in my first season.
I traded my beloved 98 Valkyrie in for this bike.
BUT, with the original frame problem, and now again with this new reporting, I must admit that I have a bit of a disturbing feeling inside that does bug me.
I will do more inspections, especially the new areas.
This should never have to even enter your mind, but the psycological impact is done. This is what bothers me.
I am not trying to sway you one way or another. I am just letting you know how I feel.
Take care, Eric

1 - 20 of 25 Posts