GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I did , as a member of this board for a few years I have met alot of great people and learned alot of great tips. However this latest round as well as the last round of frame cracks has left me flat. I was looking foward to the offical riding season only to have parinoid thoughts of my bike suddenly exploding beneath me while traviling 75 mph down the hiway. I think I will take a LONG break from this board and ride without all these stories of doom , including reading guys that don't even want to purchase a wing because of this board.... There are 10's of thousands of wing riders all over the globe that do not read this board who have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, and if there is a problem Honda recalls the bike. I realize that Honda gets information from this and other sources and for that I am grateful, but coming here day after day and reading about all the gloom and doom is very depressing to me . My wing is 100% the best VEHICLE I have ever owned and I will enjoy her till I get a new one. I've looked at other bikes and NO other even comes close..

Sorry for venting but sometimes it seems like a bunch of old ladies in a knitting circle droning on about how miserable things can be... bla , bla , bla ....

As soon as this latest round of crappy weather pases I'm goin' for a ride

Think Positive and Ride Safe my friends...

MattILRed2002 :wink: [/b]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
There are 10's of thousands of wing riders all over the globe that do not read this board who have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, and if there is a problem Honda recalls the bike. My wing is 100% the best VEHICLE I have ever owned and I will enjoy her till I get a new one. I've looked at other bikes and NO other even comes close..
MattILRed2002 :wink: [/b]
Amen Matt, I think we all could use a good ride.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Matt

I have the same approach as you.... I've been riding for 40 years.. since 88 on GL's. I've got at least 200K on GL's alone.....

When the overheating problem arose I watched the gauge.... had a long conversation with the owner of the dealer I purchased from and after a long consideration decided that if the darn thing didn't boil over... it really wasn't overheating..... He's been a dealer for 35 years... we've been friends for about 15...... and he said try and melt it down the next time the needle goes up..... I'll take care of you..... The next time I tied my best to get the thing to boil over and it wouldn't. I dismissed the problem and rode it as hard as I dare....

I changed the oil and filter for the season last weekend and I'm going to try and get out for 400 or 500 miles this weekend.... I did a good job checking the frame on my 01.... I'm a heavy guy and I was pounding the motorcycle in Alaska last summer on those roads.........

Like you.... I think there's a lot of hype going on..... and I'm just going to read those posts that interest me... I'm going to ignore the other and have a great year riding....

Jim

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
It should be pointed out that the latest cracks are only that. Cracks. They are not frame failures. If you look at the design of the rear triangle, you will see that even if the lower two tubes were completely removed, the weight of the rear would still be supported by the upper two members. And even if the lower tubes are cracked, they can still support compression loads to some degree. I don't know if the upper tubes would be able to support the additional load if the lower ones were cracked or not, but my suspicion is that they would, though I am not sure for how long. Eventually, the additional load might also cause the upper ones to crack and/or collapse.

While these cracks are cause for concern, I am not sure they would cause a catastrophic frame failure like the ones on the lower cross member will. I think the fears of riding the bike may be unfounded.

It does make me start to wonder about the quality of all the other welds on the bike though, as we now have three separate locations where cracks have shown up on this frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Fred

I purchased a used 03 a couple of months ago (my very first wing) with the ECM and Frame weld done. The thing is that I can't find the location of the frame weld. Using your frame image would it be possible for you to circle the 3 locations that you mention so that I can take a look at the frame weld that was done and check the other locations. Of course you have already pointed out the location of the area of the newly identified crack.

How much work is it to get to some of these locations? Will I have to remove the belly pan and a lot of ABS to get at these areas?

Sure would be appreciated!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Way to go Matt!! You make more sense then all of the posts! Have a great ride(s) and a long one. I shall do the same! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why Dont we put all the post about frame cracks in a forum by itself and quit bringing them up every few post in every forum known to exist then if i want (very seldom will happen) i can go over there and read to my hearts content.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
jelag said:
Like you.... I think there's a lot of hype going on..... and I'm just going to read those posts that interest me... I'm going to ignore the other and have a great year riding....

Jim
Howdy Jim!
Looks like we have quite a few board members showing up here on the east side of the state. We all need to get together sometime!

·
Registered
498 Posts
IB Mike,

Paul H. here. That sounds like a great idea. Took mine out for a 120 mi. jaunt today in the 50 mph breeze. Kind of fun riding straight down the road at a 60 degree lean!

Paul :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am neither prepared to bury my head in the sand and ignore potentially serious issues nor let them become a phobia.

All I am going to do it keep any eye on the problem areas while enjoying my ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Hope I Didn't Make A Mistake

I am a new 03 GL owner (1 week - 113 miles). I have been riding for over 40 years and this is my second GoldWing - I owned an Aspencade in the early 80's and only owned it for 2 years as I felt the bike handeled terrible. I did a fair amount of research before I put my money down and my dealer convinced me that the frame issue had gone by and was narrowed down to a specific group of frames. Unfortunatly this new crop of potential frame issues now has my concern as a GL owner. I plan on riding my new GL, inspect the frame on a regular basis and hopefully enjoy my new ride for many years.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Fred H. said:
It should be pointed out that the latest cracks are only that. Cracks. They are not frame failures. .

Fred a crack is a definate start of a FRAME FAILURE period.

Our Goldwing frames SHOULD NOT BE CRACKING.

Would you take your wife on a long distance ride with just a small crack in your frame I don't think you would Fred :roll:

Tony----- Chicagoland

·
Registered
990 Posts
Matt! Your 100% right. We'll miss you. We old ladies will just keep on discussing the problems of this particular goldwing so as to alert owners of potential problems and safty issues. Being that this doesn't apply to you, I see no reason to concern yourself with the trivial issues discussed amongst us old ladies. Enjoy your riding!

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:a13:

Thank you I will.......

:biker:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Knitting circle, and I was crocheting all this time. Do most of you use synthetic yarn, or polyester/cotton blend? And in the winter, my blanket keeps me warm. Opinions, criticism, facts, and stories, is what this board's about. I agree, to worry about a lot of this when we ride in a war zone on the streets, is pretty inverse of our actions. Like another person said, to take such a financial beating on selling his bike, he would rather ride it to the ground.. Amen.. GW forever.... what officer? to fast, I was speeding!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Fred H. said:
It should be pointed out that the latest cracks are only that. Cracks. They are not frame failures. If you look at the design of the rear triangle, you will see that even if the lower two tubes were completely removed, the weight of the rear would still be supported by the upper two members. And even if the lower tubes are cracked, they can still support compression loads to some degree.
Those cracks are a result of the forces of braking and weight load. That location is under extension forces, not compression.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts