GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Wing serviced at the dealership yesterday and as I was preparing to leave, I put the kickstand up and was ready to start the bike when I decided I wanted to inspect the right side of the bike. So, I leaned the bike back over on the stand only to find that the stand was up and over I went. This time, however, I broke my left wrist in two places when I fell. Now the bike gets to rest for 6 weeks. :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
528 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
512 Posts
CC,

So sorry to hear this. Hope your wrist heals fast! With the temps as hot as they are now, You can stay inside in the ac anways. In a few weeks time you can read up on the wing and follow all the goins on here on this board.
You will be ready to ride before you know it.

take care,
bc

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Congratulations. You just joined Wingdroppers International. I dropped mine about a month ago. No injuries, though. The first priority after dropping a bike is to look around and see if anybody is looking. That's what I did!:oops:

I think you'll be back in the saddle soon and put this behind you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congratulations. ...... The first priority after dropping a bike is to look around and see if anybody is looking. That's what I did!:oops:

I had a similar experience last year on a BMW K1200LT. I know how to pick a bike up, but I must have had a senior moment and strained my back trying to pick it up (the wrong way) before anyone noticed.

I traded that sucker in on a new GoldWing.

See ya.

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
I had the Wing serviced at the dealership yesterday and as I was preparing to leave, I put the kickstand up and was ready to start the bike when I decided I wanted to inspect the right side of the bike. So, I leaned the bike back over on the stand only to find that the stand was up and over I went. This time, however, I broke my left wrist in two places when I fell. Now the bike gets to rest for 6 weeks. :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:
I did the same thing with my 1500 a few years ago. I was parked on the side of a busy street at rush hour. I caught the bike as it was going down, and strained to hold it as I climbed off. A fellow looking on commented that the bike looked pretty heavy. Trying to be as polite as possible (no easy feat at the time) I asked if he wouldn't mind helping me. He realized the predicament I was in and came over to help. We righted the bike. The only injury sustained was my bruised ego.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I dropped my 1500 at an observation pulloff about half way up Smokey Mountain. I did not break my wrist but did break my wife's. After a few weeks of rehab she was fine but never rode the bike again. That is why I own a trike now. She feels safe on it.

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
Maybe it is time to trike your bike:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I dropped mine comming off the goldengate bridge at a stopsign in a really bad spot.

Managed to hold it off the ground while Alicia scrambled off, but once it starts to go, it's gonna go.

I think I freaked the guy out who came over to help me pick it up when I just hit the brake and dead lifted it upright. As you might imnagine, I've had some practice at getting it upright.

The bright side was even fallign like that, I didn't reach the limits of the twist on my standard trailer coupling. I will not need anything fancy for the next one.

For those of you who need it spelled out for you.

Once this bike starts falling, it is going to fall. You cannot stop it, and the only way to delay it is to sacrifice your body. Make certain you really like the person before you keep the bike from falling on them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hate to hear that, Chicky. Hope you heal and are back on the bike soon!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
For those of you who need it spelled out for you.

Once this bike starts falling, it is going to fall. You cannot stop it, and the only way to delay it is to sacrifice your body.
I have almost dropped mine several times but was able to stop it inches from the ground and right it while straddling it, once with my wife aboard. Eat your Wheaties. ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Fell Over

To much bike for you like I said before. ( Flame suit switched on again ). :shrug:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am still nursing a sprained knee from when my pax (her 1st ride) got off by standing up on the pax footrest and swinging off. I shoulda let it fall over.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Some people on this board truly amaze me!!! Hope your wrist gets well soon. I dropped mine in front of a HD riders in a parking lot, he was very helpful, and complimented me on the bike. only my pride was hurt.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
very sorry to hear u tipped over again Chicky :-(

i have a feeling u are a very determined lady and will not give up very easy, good for u !!! it may take awhile but i think u will learn to overcome these problems and become a very good wing rider !!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Checkpoint Chicky,

I am sorry you got hurt.

I dropped my new GL1800 in the garage within the first month of ownership. I am glad I got that over with quickly.

one of the MOST important thing a motorcyclist can learn is how to properly pick up a bike.

I had to teach a BMW owner how to pick up his bike after he dropped it and asked for "a little help" I refused to help him, but I did teach him how to pick up his bike. i did act as a spotter........

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I have almost dropped mine several times but was able to stop it inches from the ground and right it while straddling it, once with my wife aboard. Eat your Wheaties. ;)

LOL

And your chiropractor's kid thanks you for his college education...

Seriously though, yes, I've done the same thing.

I don't recomend it unless it's about to fall on something really important to you.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts