GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only got 19K and some change on the bike but decided to do a complete rebuild because of a small fork seal leak. Wasn't any better or worse than I expected after watching Fred's videos, but it did take me all day to complete. I thought I'd tear them down, start the work today, and then finish up tomorrow. Well, impatient as usual, I worked start to finish today. Luckily no lost tools or left over bolts. Took her out for a test ride and all is good. I love it when a plan comes together. :excited:

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Cool ... and glad to hear you didn't leave a wrench inside the fork tube.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done!

My 2010 just turned over 18,300 miles this weekend and I am completely disgusted with the feel of the bike now. I will be rebuilding the front suspension and installing either Race Tech or Traxxion. My rear cowls on both sides are completely ground down from just under the foot warmer vent all the way back past the back mounting hole. I just ordered another set of driver pegs because I have worn down through the mounting bolts (Kuryakyn ISO pegs). I have completely lost ground clearance through the turns so bad that I actually bounced the bike off of the engine guards on a hard left hand turn on Friday.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already had the Traxxion AK-20 setup but noticed a light film of oil on the left fork tube (more than the right). I decided to jump in with both feet and replace the seals in both forks. I couldn't see tearing the forks down to do new seals and putting the old bushings back in so I replaced them, too. During the very short test ride last night, the bike seems a little tighter but that's probably just my imagination at work. I figured for the small amount of $, it couldn't hurt.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I already had the Traxxion AK-20 setup but noticed a light film of oil on the left fork tube (more than the right). I decided to jump in with both feet and replace the seals in both forks. I couldn't see tearing the forks down to do new seals and putting the old bushings back in so I replaced them, too. During the very short test ride last night, the bike seems a little tighter but that's probably just my imagination at work. I figured for the small amount of $, it couldn't hurt.

What you felt was new fork oil & tighter tolerance bushings.When I do a seal leak for others,they all say the bike feels better.It's amazing what fresh oil does.

Glad you done it all yourself.nothing like doing the job yourself and it all works out for the better. :coffee1:

·
Registered
452 Posts
38k on mine and although no leaks, this sounds like something I should do...thanks for the report!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts