GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, for the first time on a CT. Had a blast!! Entered on the TN side about 8 pm and there was hardly any traffic. Road over to the store and turned around and came back, then across the foothills parkway home. Nice evening ride and the 1800 gives it a complete feel from the 1200. Now, my chicken strip is even thinner. Guess I need to remove those Kury pegs so I can get it on over a little. Its amazing how easy it is to take those turns when you get up off the back rest! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
That's great Duck! Glad you had an enjoyable ride! You didn't leave any metal on the pavement did you?:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left just a little!! Definitely gets your attention when your leaned as far as it will go and the sound of the mounting bracket for the pegs grinding off, kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard!! :wrong: Can't imagine getting it on over and scrapping the engine guard like some have done. I think I was told that was a lean of 45 degrees!! LOL

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I hear ya! But I bet that won't stop you from going back and doing it again!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I know a pretty good 'baker' from up north that has scraped the belly pan. Now there were quite a few rims in his garage stacked up. He could've rubbed them when parking the bike........ lol

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Yep, for the first time on a CT. Had a blast!! Entered on the TN side about 8 pm and there was hardly any traffic. Road over to the store and turned around and came back, then across the foothills parkway home. Nice evening ride and the 1800 gives it a complete feel from the 1200. Now, my chicken strip is even thinner. Guess I need to remove those Kury pegs so I can get it on over a little. Its amazing how easy it is to take those turns when you get up off the back rest! :thumbup:
Man I miss riding the south
I know a pretty good 'baker' from up north that has scraped the belly pan. Now there were quite a few rims in his garage stacked up. He could've rubbed them when parking the bike........ lol
:oops: :lol:Shh
Take them off completely or get some that mount on the vertical of the engine guard.
I got my shorty's set about 45 degrees up and they do not hit at all unless I leave them folded down. I fold them up and flip them down only when I use them. I have rode the BRP hundreds of miles with feet on highway pegs well over speed limit and can lean big girl just about to rider peg feelers :nojoke:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got my shorty's set about 45 degrees up and they do not hit at all unless I leave them folded down. I fold them up and flip them down only when I use them. I have rode the BRP hundreds of miles with feet on highway pegs well over speed limit and can lean big girl just about to rider peg feelers
Suit yourself. Its not your Kury pegs or your stock pegs that are the problem. They both will fold up when they come in contact with the pavement. Put your bike on its center stand or better yet have someone hold it up while both tires are on the ground. Then align a piece of plywood with the center line of your tires and tilt the board up till it hits something. If it hits the engine guard first, fine. If it hits the peg mounts first, in that as you call it, just about area, your asking for trouble.
Anything, unmovable, in the just about area will be a problem. Eventually.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Bet you can't wait to go back....great to hear you had fun....

I did it last weekend along with the foothill parkway....

Attached are some pics of my ride that a friend sent me...I guess a company called Killboy takes pictures and a friend of mine spotted me on their website...I going to try to order some of these....you might want to check out their site and look for your date and time....they might have taken some pictures of you...

Ride Safe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pic's Lab Rider! Looks like you have the fastest color too!:thumbup: It was too late in the evening for the camera guys, almost dark when I started and pretty much black dark when I came back across.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Hey Duck! You are going to have to go back now. Remember, if there ain't no pictures it didn't happen!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congrats on the great ride with the CT!

When its time for my rear tire replacement, I'll be a darksider also.
Oh, by the way, I hate you. :nojoke:
I'm jealous of man that can be at the dragon in an hour or less (compared to my 6.5 hour ride).

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Suit yourself. Its not your Kury pegs or your stock pegs that are the problem. They both will fold up when they come in contact with the pavement. Put your bike on its center stand or better yet have someone hold it up while both tires are on the ground. Then align a piece of plywood with the center line of your tires and tilt the board up till it hits something. If it hits the engine guard first, fine. If it hits the peg mounts first, in that as you call it, just about area, your asking for trouble.
Anything, unmovable, in the just about area will be a problem. Eventually.
Good info right there:thumbup: Any suggestions as to me scraping heat shields? :nojoke: Some say this can't be done ;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

I'm jealous of man that can be at the dragon in an hour or less
(compared to my 6.5 hour ride).
:agree:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

I'm jealous of man that can be at the dragon in an hour or less (compared to my 6.5 hour ride).
Well it's better than a 14 hour ride which I do every year in one day. ;) But there is way,way better roads down there than the dragon. But I know what you are saying ! Next time you are around the area ,PM me and I will share a few of my favorites that will scare the little bits of rubber off your tires.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good info right there:thumbup: Any suggestions as to me scraping heat shields? :nojoke: Some say this can't be done ;)
Try the board trick I mentioned in an earlier post and see what is going to hit first.

Your option at this point, certainly not mine or I hope, anyone else, are to remove the engine and bag guards and give it a try or find a really twisty road with lots of bumps and take your heat shield scraping chances. Make sure your insurance is paid up. You do have medical evacuation insurance don't you? Also, your suspension should be well worn out and you might want to try this turning right, so that pesky center stand doesn't get in the way.

Take pictures, lots of pictures. Unless there are pictures, it didn't happen.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: Nothing I have said here should be considered an endorsement and like they say on TV, this should be only be attempted by a professional rider, on a closed course. Proceed at your own risk. You are on your own. I know nothing. :nojoke:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I hit my head on my heat shield once.:joke: It's all got to do with the cookies. The more cookies you eat the more the bike will lean because it will be top heavy and that causes more SIDEWAYSICAL GRAVITATIONAL PULLIFICATION. :thumbup: ( i got a headache now ) sorry I had to :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts