GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that 34 years ago a company in Plano, Texas offered a refrigerated helmet?

At Wing Ding in Knoxville, TN in 1987 a company called Cool-Power had a refrigerated helmet on display in the vendor area. They had two helmets sitting under heat lamps on a table, one with refrigeration and one without. Each helmet had a thermometer inside with an LED readout which was visible in front each helmet and there was a small fan blowing towards the helmets to simulate a moving motorcycle.

The helmet without the cooling device installed was reading something like 118 degrees inside the helmet. The helmet with the Cool-Power was reading in the area of 68 degrees (it’s hard to remember 32 years ago but I do remember it was in the 60’s). You could put your hand up inside the helmets and feel one was very hot and the other was quite cool.

I remember the price was $600 which in 1987 was a lot of money.

I never knew anyone that purchased the helmet, nor did I ever hear any more about it. I have no idea how the company did with sales or how long they stayed in business. Maybe they still exist???

Anyway, I still have the original brochure and thought I would include it in this post for your reading and viewing pleasure.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I first moved here and bought my Wing, I was riding it to work almost every day, and it was often hotter then Hades outside. We had a couple of fridges at work and one was often half full so I got in the habit of putting my helmet in the fridge. It cooled it down nicely for the half hour ride home.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I remember those, never saw one being used, the new version @ 3.2 lbs is a lot of weight to carry around.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts