GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day, Porsche engines seemed to be replaced one night by the engine fairy at about 6,000 miles.

I had ridden my 2010 bike on several long trips and the mileage was not very good, ranging from 32 to 34 mpg. As we went on a trip with over 6,800 miles on the odometer, I suddenly had several fuel stops where we got 40 mpg.

So, the question is, when did you notice that the engine seemed to run freer and the gas mileage got better for the same riding style?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I bought my '06 new and the fuel economy has not changed much. The only time that it does change is when I slow down and at high altitude.

Joe in Redding

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I've never experienced that magical moment. I don't believe it to exist.

..louie
Have to agree. Neither my GL1800 or my PC800 seemed any different from the ride home from the dealer to present day.

Now my BMW R1100RT needed a good 10,000 miles or more before it felt right. One reason that I did not buy a new one of those this time.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
From the first tank to now, I get about 40 MPG +/- depending upon speed traveled. Engine has run GREAT all along.

prs

·
Registered
463 Posts
My experience has been very different from many of you. For the first few thousand miles my 2010 milage was awful. I was only getting 28 in stop and go traffic and 36 on the open hwy. Things really began to improve at about 6K miles. I have 7,500 on it now and I get 32-34 stop and go and 40-42 onthe open hwy.

Larry

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Back in the day, Porsche engines seemed to be replaced one night by the engine fairy at about 6,000 miles.

I had ridden my 2010 bike on several long trips and the mileage was not very good, ranging from 32 to 34 mpg. As we went on a trip with over 6,800 miles on the odometer, I suddenly had several fuel stops where we got 40 mpg.

So, the question is, when did you notice that the engine seemed to run freer and the gas mileage got better for the same riding style?

Did your trip take you to higher elevations? These bikes get noticeably better mpg's over 5000 feet.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Reciently I noticed that when I was at a higher elevation than normal I got better gas millage. In the SF Bay Area I get somewhere around 36-37 commuting but in the mountains, like last weekend where I went up to 5000 ft, my mpg was 39-41. No commute.

Now, my commuting averages around 60-65 mph with some stopping here and there but other than going through small communities, in the Sierra's, I ran 60mph most of the time until I got on the interstate where 70+ was the going speed.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
My 08 felt very tight when new. After a few thousand miles and what I thought was a sufficient number of miles to see what she could do, I ran it up to 120mph. It was definitely working to get there and it didn't feel like there was much if anything left. Now with over 50K, 120mph is a simple 5th gear roll on, not even full throttle. So in the case of my bike, there is a huge difference in its performance as the miles have accumulated.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I was consistantly getting between 39 & 43 mpg in warm-weather general riding on my 05, and 44-45 on my day-trips out in the rural. That was, until 20k on the nose, when I had the air filter and plugs replaced with new OEM. No other changes.

My mileage DROPPED instantly to 37-39 all the time. Go figure :shrug:
Even at it's current 41k, my GL1800 has never again regained it's prior mileage readings.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

Where did you buy your gas and/or how hard do you throttle up through the gears until you went on this trip ???????????????????????
I have never heard of that poor gas mileage on a Wing:eek: Except in the extreme cold of winter.
My experience: No magic break in point. Got 42 to 45MPG from the get/go.
Now it's triked and I still get 36mpg.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
my 08 has over 120,000 miles and I get an average of 40 mpg from the get go. Although I don't check it regularly, the lowest I've gotten has been 37 and the highest is 44. And most times it is right around 40.

Not so old biker Tom, the most I've been able to squeeze out is just about 135 mph, of course at those speeds I dont spend a lot of time staring at the speedo...LOL

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I am curious if the above mileage numbers are actual miles or Gold Wing miles?

My 86 Wing knocked on everything but 93 octane for many miles, then it would run will on 89 octane, once it hit 30,0000 miles I was using 87 octane without any knocking or pinging.

Something changed between 0 miles and 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I thought my 2003 ran better around 5000 miles. The break in process, as explained to me , is the final machining process.So to me it makes sense that it would run with less friction after breaking in.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My guess is that your gas mileage got better when you went to higher elevations. Mine in Colorado has almost always been around 42mpg, and if I am running slower speeds (less wind resistance and less RPMs), it can even approach 46-50. These are Honda miles on an 02.

Can't remember any big change in my Wing, but my Valkyrie seemed to get broken-in around 15-20k miles.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
My 08 felt very tight when new. After a few thousand miles and what I thought was a sufficient number of miles to see what she could do, I ran it up to 120mph. It was definitely working to get there and it didn't feel like there was much if anything left. Now with over 50K, 120mph is a simple 5th gear roll on, not even full throttle. So in the case of my bike, there is a huge difference in its performance as the miles have accumulated.
You ride too damn fast.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts