GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve read every forum topic there is that debates the idea of using a GPS device or ones phone to get you to your destination. This is not one of those.

I ride a lot of long trips, and because my bikes like to go up and down mountain roads to places I’ve never been before, my GPS ( Garmin 595) is important in keeping me on track. Several years ago I discovered Microsoft’s Street and Trips mapping program. I bought the program and was hooked on their great mapping system. It is easy to use. After you get proficient with it, you can make a several day map, save it and download it to your GPS in a matter of minutes. There is none of this converting it into something else to make it useable with a GPS.

However, Microsoft must have figured out it wasn’t making them much, if any, money so they shut down their mapping division and took the product off the market. Fortunately I had purchased the CD so I was able to keep on making maps every time I bought a new computer or tablet. So I merrily went on my way to putting more directed miles on my bike. That was until I put in a specific address into the Street and Trips program and it couldn’t find it. Darn, I couldn’t update the maps anymore and the house I was looking for was in a brand new subdivision. That has now gone on for the last couple of years and was becoming more of a problem with each riding season. That was until I purchased my new Gold Wing and became a part of this community.

I’ve been following all the comments about Honda Trip Planner and the association with Rever. I looked at Rever and thought it would probably work for me even if I had to pay the annual fee to have some up-to-date maps for my long trips. Last week, for some reason, I brought up Honda’s Trip Planner to see if might be back on its stand-alone self and there it was.

I planned a short 80 mile ride with several stops (Honda calls the shaping points). I only had to re-do the map a couple of times before I caught on to the shaping point thing. I’m still learning so someone else might give me some hints to make it all easier.

Streets and Trips let me save my map as a GPX file so when I plugged my Garmin into my computer, it was a simple task to copy the newly created map then paste it right into the memory card on the GPS. So I wondered if such a thing was possible with the Trip Planner. After creating the map I saved it as a GPX file on my computer then plugged the Garmin in. When the Garmin came up I went to the saved GPX file and hit “copy” then went down to the Garmin memory and saved it in the GPX file on the memory card. After that I unplugged the Garmin from the computer and brought up the Trip Planner on the Garmin, went to the import screen, selected my new map and hit import. Would it really be that easy I asked? Guess what, it worked. I went back to my Where To screen and saw my new map waiting for me in Trip Planner, clicked on it and it downloaded to my Garmin.

I took it for a ride and it never missed a corner turn. I still couldn’t believe that I’ve got a replacement for my dearly loved Microsoft Streets and Trips so I made another map. This one for a 300 mile ride to stretch its legs a bit before I pronounced it a winner. Yesterday I took off early and met MountainRider in Twin Falls for lunch, and once again, the new map worked perfectly. I haven’t tried loading it into my Goldwing GPS, wonder how hard that would be?

I’m always the cautious one when it comes to something new like this, but from all that I’ve seen so far it seems to work. I’m working on another map for about a 150 mile ride tomorrow so I’ll keep on testing it. I can’t tell you how excited I am to have another option. For right now I’m hoping Honda will keep on supporting this great FREE program.

Thanks,

Garry

·
Registered
369 Posts
Installed a 595LM on the left bar today. No regrets for using on long trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I severely miss Microsoft Streets as well. This was the last of trip planning software that understands that us humans need to sleep that greatly interrupts our ability to drive or ride for 120 hours straight. It was so easy to plan a trip from coast to coast and back with various stops in between for sight seeing and visiting family/friends. You could easily tell about where you would be for each night and be perfectly happy with the results all done in an hour or two. I have not seen anything that comes even in the slightest to accommodate a multiple day trip. My last vacation ended up taking me an entire day planning as I had to work and rework several times each individual day until I had something I could make a reality. That plan was 9 individual trips, plus an alternate of another 3 trips in case one of my planned stops needed to be removed. But that was not all of the planning. I still had to figure out in excel how many nights I would be able to stay at each over night location I was stopping at. That calculation is practically automatic in MS Streets with it giving total number of days. I sure hope I can find a true MS Streets replacement before I want to plan a US 4 Corners trip or Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. I really do not want to plan 28 to 35+ individual trips just to figure out what is humanly possible. Mess up a single day early on and all of the individual trips after are worthless and in need of re-planning.

I also have a Zumo 595 on my "ST 1800" because the built-in is total crap. But I do not use the GPS to plan full trips, only guidelines and a more major destination. It does not plan my riding day, only how to get someplace eventually. I also add a short term destination such as gas or camp grounds someplace ahead of me to stop for the night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have my Garmin 396 on the right handle bar and my cup holder on the left, works for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
After giving Honda's on board GPS as much fair chance as I could, I threw in the towel and mounted my Garmin 590. The Honda's guidance just took me on the strangest routes. I couldn't do it. Never mind how non-intuitive the interface is.

I have been using the 590 for a while on my ST1300, so I am familiar and comfortable with it. It lives very nicely on a RAM mount on the left bar. Now, the on board navigation is there only to display XM radar imagery for me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Built-in Nav works fine for me. Even navigated 2 80+ waypoint routes with it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've been using TomTom for a number of years on multiple bikes. Currently use the TomTom 550. Size is easy to store, very good screen and very fast screen scrolling.

For planning I use MyRoute-app which is cloud based meaning all your routes reside on the cloud and can be accessed and edited with your phone, tablet or computer. I have a large library of routes on the cloud and only load the routes on the GPS needed for the current trip (no need to scroll through a bunch of routes on your gps to find the one you want).

Also like that the App allows you to plan in Google Maps and then convert to TomTom or Garmin for download to the gps: https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/switchingservice

·
Registered
336 Posts
Garmin Nav VI on left side handlebar for routing. Use the built-in NAV for weather and traffic. Great combo :)

Marc

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
My phone was already sitting on the left handlebar anyway, so I just use TomTom's android app. I love the cloud integration and route planning specifically for us motorcyclists, so I can do all of my trip planning online before and BAM! they're on the phone. No having to transfer via USB stick, etc. And it's only $20/year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup...Garmin Zumo 390LM. Goldwing nav kept freezing when using downloaded routes created on Honda Trip Planner. Now I use the Garmin for routes and the Honda map zoomed out to 1 km to see what roads are in the future.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts