GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Very good Andy!

Now, if we can only get everyone to SEE this on television over and over again, more people would see US!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
This NEEDS to be a national television public service ad!!!!!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
zaT111 said:
This NEEDS to be a national television public service ad!!!!!
Yes ! I agree this is great ......... :)

W

·
0 Posts
Nope haven't seen this done with people, but read this somewhere before.

Thanks, a great watch.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you liked it. I wish it were on TV, especially after all that our fellow board members have undergone this year!

Ride safe!!

Andy

·
Registered
264 Posts
TV

Our city is trying to increase motorcycle awareness. This is on television here locally and was produced in Jonesboro, Arkansas made with local bikers after my brother, George Blevins, was killed July 25 this year. It is a very powerful and moving commercial.
We have erected many traffic signs around the city with a clipart image of a bike saying "Look Twice, Save a Life." We also sell T-shirts with the "Look Twice" logo in bright green.

It's a great program, but we are still losing the war to cell phone users and other idiots on the road.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Loved it, absolutely should be a nation wide campaign. After all drunk driving and seat belt commercials are.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I read this poem at one of my members funeral also at the Kentucky State Rally closing. It really hits home and says it all.

Randie
C.D. KY-Y

·
Registered
77 Posts
Falcon Wing,
In your video, it looks like that motorcycle made a lane change into the path of that car.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Andy,

I just stumbled across this, looking for what happened to the drunk that killed Steve Aylors friends in Galveston. I still don't know what happened there.

Since I have lost a son and have another paralyzed by a drunk driver, I am very quick to have my blood boil at the thought of anyone driving and drinking.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I watched it again and it still has the same impact on me. I do wish it could be used nationally as a commercial. If it could save 1 life, it would be worth it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Andy, my feelings exactly. Seems that the AMA would pick this up and carry it forward. I wish that all that are indifferent, or worse, antagonistic, wouel realize that all they kill by carelessness are someone's loved one, Son, Daughter, Wive, Husband, Grand Pa, Grand Ma, Fiancee, Father, Mother, Doctor, Boss, Worker, Minister, Provider, or in other words, human.

Some years back, a very large woman in a Buick apparently became infuriated with me when I accelerated onto the freeway from an on ramp, filling a slot that she had apparently felt was hers from a far lane. I had not seen her until I was going down the highway and then noticed her glares, as she paced me. Then the traffic of the various lanes ebbed and flowed, and I forgot about the Buick.

When I later exited, she came from behind two or three cars on the shoulder and forced me into the left curb so she could squeeze by, which really startled me. I had forgotten the earlier glaring. She would have hit me if I had not moved to the curb.

She raced ahead but a block or so later got caught at a red light which I came ambling up to, in the lane to her left.

She stared ahead and was actually hyperventilating as her chest heaved and her grip on the steering wheel was flexing the wheel. I watched from well behind to see where she pulled off in case there was a later altercation. I do not know if I ever had seen her before or what the provocation was, unless it was simply just me being on a motorcycle, which she obviously would never fit on.

It is nice to forget these things as not normal. It does increase the reason to be cautious of unusual actions by drivers, however.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but…

Statistics are beginning to show that drivers do in fact "see" bikes, assuming reasonable vision and no obstructions or other impairments.

The statement made by many that they “did not see the motorcycle“ is being closely examined and early data suggests this is not necessarily accurate. In most cases, the motorist did see the bike but failed to "perceive" it and take reasonable action to prevent an accident.

The theory being advanced may also help to explain why motorists routinely collide with other cars, trucks, emergency vehicles with lights and sirens, as well as trains, buildings, and other objects. It should also help motorcyclists understand why, after taking measures to increase their own visibility, are still being hit.

I'm aware of an individual that's currently assembling this data and plans on testifying before Congress on this very point.

But don’t stop what you’re doing to maximize your presence on the road...do understand that it may not be sufficient to completely protect you.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
DT,

We are talking in the vernacular here. Substitue the word see with notice and I think we have agreement.

However, it is in part conditioned, in my opinion. The more ominous an object on a collioion course, the more it will likely be noticed.

A car is a blob stitting on two posts to the subconcious mind. A truck is a big blob sitting on two big thick posts. Being hit with it carries a much bigger fear factor.

A motorcycle is a small blob sitting on a single small post and might also be a palm tree to the inattentive mind.

Outboard lights tend to give the blob substance.

Pulling a trailer or riding a trike has the blob a little bigger and it is sitting on three posts which is not an everyday sight and will cause some movement toward conciousness.

A motorcycle with a single headlight is not seen by the OTL brain as a vehicle and its approach is more difficult to detect because of fhe way our stereroptican vision works.

The pain associated with being hit by a truck wakes the OTL brain by association. A vigorous campaign with heavy (painful) punishment will start to waken the OTL brain, much in the way the sight of a scorpion does over a leaf on the floor.

Without collective effort, this is likely going to be hard to win, as the judges sense a smaller voting public as do the other politicians, in the portion that ride versus drive.

AMA resources effecting a few big wins in liability lawsuits in negligent driving deaths of motorcylists that strike some fear in the average indifferent driving public will be very helpful. Continued back page clippings indicating that it was alright to kill a biker because he was hard to see will promote even more indifference.

I came upon a biker down with his leg bones sticking out through his jeans and the woman that pulled out and hit him was being comforted by several bystanders while the biker writhed in pain laying in the street, alone, beside his Yamaha utilliity bike with its lights still burning. It was enough to make anyone sick and me very angry. I stood helplessly by the biker waiting for the ambulance and police. A bicyclist said that the biker was the only vehicle in the three lanes eastbound, totally visible.

She hit him with her front bumper which was dislocated from her car by the impact.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts