GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Canuck
Joined
·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is dielectric grease something I should be using to maintain the helmet cord pins? My MP3 through the Zumo 660 is losing volume intermittently. I haven't checked everything yet, but the radio and CB work just fine, so I'm thinking maybe it's a pin on one the connectors. Anyways, regardless of why the MP3 is losing volume intermittently, should I be applying a dab of dielectric grears every so often for maintenance purposes?

I did a search before posting this and found this thread http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284726&highlight=dielectric In post #3 EarnhardtSPortsman talks about using dielectric grease on the connectors (although he doesn't mention it as a regular maintenance task). And in http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274259&highlight=dielectric in post #7 upssnowman says he puts it on every connector when working on bikes.

TIA!! :bow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
I guess it depends on personal preference, but I use it quite often on plugs. I also use it on the headset plugs occassionally. If nothing else, it makes them mate together easier. I have no idea if it would help your problem since other units function normally, but certainly won't hurt anything..
 

·
Canuck
Joined
·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea if it would help your problem since other units function normally, but certainly won't hurt anything..
I'm guessing it might be a pin on one of the cords (without having really looked at it yet) because the same thing happened with my CB two years ago. It began working only intermittently, the volume was way off, and it slowly started to grind to a halt. And then the music started acting odd. After checking the antenna, connections, and other things, I changed the upper cord and voila, the CB (and music) worked perfectly. If it is indeed a pin, don't know if dielectric grease is the answer, or if a new cord is required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
Dielectric grease won't do anything to improve a bad electrical connection. But it can help prevent one from going bad by providing a lubricant, sealant and preservative for rubber plugs that house the electrical plugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
Dielectric grease provides a barrier between the contact and the air. It also keeps moisture out. It is used to protect connections in exposed places, like the connectors for the Kury stuff that goes on the front fender or the caliper covers, or the ring of fire.
If you put it on your battery terminals it keeps them them from developing that green fuzz.
So it certainly won't hurt, and might help a little, but I agree that you should look at the pins. I've had pins break on a number of headset cords, or had the wires break inside. I've replaced the cord on mine 2 or 3 times, and repaired the headset loom part at least twice. On this set. I've also had a good half dozen failures on my last set. Light weight and durable aren't necessarily compatible features.. :-(


=Dave=
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts
Previous posts are right on about dielectric grease use.

However, if your contacts are dirty, corroded, or oxidized, then you need to spray them with a good contact cleaner first and let that dry. Then protect them with the dielectric grease after.

DeoxIT is the best contact cleaner I've found. I have restored connectivity on some really nasty looking contacts with this stuff.

Info on DeoxIT is here:

http://www.caig.com/

***
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top