GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the two. Say like on the Garmin 2610, and the 2720. I think I got the models correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Let's say you need to turn right on Main street.

Wtih voice prompts, as you approach Main street, it'll say "in 400 yards, turn right."

With text to speech, as you approach Main street, it'll say "in 400 yards, turn right on Main Street."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
LV Wolfman is correct. I own both a 2610 as well as a 2720. I really like the text-to-speech of the 2720. I don't have to look down to see what street I'm supposed to turn on - it tells me. If I need to check the layout of the streets, or the intersection is more complex, then I will check the GPS, but otherwise it lets me keep my attention out there, instead of down here on the screen. I also like the 3D Bird's Eye perspective that the 2720 offers. I'm still learning the menu layout - like where to find stored routes that I have already downloaded from my computer, when it comes time to actually navigate those routes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
RetAF,
I'm still learning the menu layout - like where to find stored routes that I have already downloaded from my computer
Notice that there is a secondary label on some of the keys. To bring up the secondary function, press and hold the key.

So, to see your routes, prss and hold the FIND key to bring up the ROUTE menu. Touch LIST ROUTES or ROUTES LIST whichever it is. Find the ROUTE you want to use, touch it and then touch ACTIVATE.

You'll have the magenta "highlight" showing your route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
I really like the text-to-speech of my 2730, but some of the name pronounciations would make Govenor Arnold proud! :lol:

Switching to a different language is also very entertaining AND educational :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
pshivers said:
I really like the text-to-speech of my 2730, but some of the name pronounciations would make Govenor Arnold proud! :lol:

Switching to a different language is also very entertaining AND educational :!:
The 2720 has a tough time with pronunciation of some of the Indian-based road names that we have here, enough to become confusing and distracting. Another thing that I found was that I was looking for the sign for 'Main Street' instead of looking to turn right on the next road. This was particularly distracting at night. I'm also not a big fan of the TTS algorithym - it sounds too computerized and unnatural to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
e98x09 said:
RetAF,

Notice that there is a secondary label on some of the keys. To bring up the secondary function, press and hold the key.
If that were the case on the 2720, it would be simpler, but it ain't so. Buttons are laid out differently, menus are organized differently. Still, I'm learning it well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Jon said:
pshivers said:
I really like the text-to-speech of my 2730, but some of the name pronounciations would make Govenor Arnold proud! :lol:

Switching to a different language is also very entertaining AND educational :!:
The 2720 has a tough time with pronunciation of some of the Indian-based road names that we have here, enough to become confusing and distracting. Another thing that I found was that I was looking for the sign for 'Main Street' instead of looking to turn right on the next road. This was particularly distracting at night. I'm also not a big fan of the TTS algorithym - it sounds too computerized and unnatural to me.
My wife and I just came back from 10 days in Hawaii (I lived there 25 years ago). But we DID bring my Garmin StreetPilot III. SAVED our butts constantly BTW. Anyway, as most of you know I have the Zumo (with text to speech) on order. I would've LOVED to hear it try to prounounce some of the street names there: Kalakawa, Kaahumanu (used to live on that street), Waiaiae, Kalauokalani, Aala. hehehe GOOD LUCK ZUMO! :wink: :wink:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top