GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of an extension of another question I made on this board, but I'm posting a new question in order to stay on topic.

I could pop my old 2006 GL1800 onto the centerstand easily, but I quickly noticed that it was a lot harder to get my 2012 on the stand. I didn’t question it at the time, but just accepted it. Now, because of the other thread I just checked part numbers for centerstands and see some differences.

Gl1800’s from 2001 through 2010 list three different model numbers, 50500-MCA-A00, 50500-MCA-S40, and 50500-MCA-305

GL1800’s from 2012 through 2017 list ONLY 50500-MCA-305

Apparently any of the stands will fit any Goldwing, but what is different in the three model numbers? I’m wondering if for some reason the #305 for 2012 is slightly longer or has a slightly different foot. Any ideas?

Glen

·
Registered
905 Posts
A change in the last three characters usually refers to a minor revision or modification or vendor change. Successive changes supersede the previous part number and these successive revisions will fit in place of the previous one. A major revision is signaled by a change in the first 5 numerals.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is kind of an extension of another question I made on this board, but I'm posting a new question in order to stay on topic.

I could pop my old 2006 GL1800 onto the centerstand easily, but I quickly noticed that it was a lot harder to get my 2012 on the stand. I didn’t question it at the time, but just accepted it. Now, because of the other thread I just checked part numbers for centerstands and see some differences.

Gl1800’s from 2001 through 2010 list three different model numbers, 50500-MCA-A00, 50500-MCA-S40, and 50500-MCA-305

Apparently any of the stands will fit any Goldwing, but what is different in the three model numbers? I’m wondering if for some reason the #305 for 2012 is slightly longer or has a slightly different foot. Any ideas?

dduelin

I'm Wondering High high is your rear wheel off the ground on your 2012, maybe we can figure this out?

·
Registered
98 Posts
@dduelin

I'm Wondering High high is your rear wheel off the ground on your 2012, maybe we can figure this out?
I have access to a 2008 , 20010, 2019

·
Registered
167 Posts

Glen
Could it be that the position of where it's mounted (fore or aft a few mm) makes the difference with weight distribution ergo easier to lift? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My 2001 ABS goes up on the centerstand quite easily. 180/60 Dunlop E4's.
Buddy has a 2008 ABS/NAV and it's a beast to get on the stand. 180/60 'Stones.
Both were set with the preload on 25.

Reactions: Sladep

·
Registered
124 Posts
Measure the leg from pivot to foot and post a picture of the center stand foot to compare.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My 2001 ABS goes up on the centerstand quite easily. 180/60 Dunlop E4's.
Buddy has a 2008 ABS/NAV and it's a beast to get on the stand. 180/60 'Stones.
Both were set with the preload on 25.
Yep, have an '08 with 180/70-16 Avon Cobra and it requires strength and technique to get it on the stand, especially in our garage which has an uphill slant so I fight that too.

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
Part number for the ‘12 & newer is different probably because it comes from a Japanese supplier instead of one from the U.S.A.

I don’t remember having any issue getting my ‘12 up on the stand compared to my earlier ones.

Is the centerstand lubricated well? That makes a difference plus you said the frt end was lowered. That adds to the difficulty!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just put a Bridgestone 70 on my '06 and it's now a breeze putting it up on the stand but no way to get it off while on board the bike. It's three-pointed with the bigger tire. No rockin' possible!

·
Registered
782 Posts

Glen
I had a similar problem with my 2010 GL. It came on gradually until I just couldn't lift it onto the centerstand. Had increase the shock preload in order to get it up on the centerstand. Until one day while may a low speed turn i noticed my boot scraping. It turned out that had blow a fork seal(s) and didn't know it. Installed new seals, Progressive springs and now its ok again.
Haven't much since the Covid scare though. Check your suspension.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2010 GL. It came on gradually until I just couldn't lift it onto the centerstand. Had increase the shock preload in order to get it up on the centerstand. Until one day while may a low speed turn i noticed my boot scraping. It turned out that had blow a fork seal(s) and didn't know it. Installed new seals, Progressive springs and now its ok again.
Haven't much since the Covid scare though. Check your suspension.
Interesting thought here, and very possible...........Good suggestion!!
Ronnie

·
Administrator
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In order to see if a difference in the centerstand just “might” be part of the problem, I put my bike on the centerstand and measured the distance from bottom of the curve in the centerstand to the ground, as seen in the photo below. On my bike it is 7 7/16”.

Would someone be willing to do this measurement on their bike just to satisfy my curiosity?

BTW, the forks are rebuilt brand new, and the centerstand moves freely.

Thanks,

Glen

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Things I know that makes center-standing challenging:
  • tire brand, size, and wear
  • center stand needing maintenance
  • worn or altered rear spring
  • low air-pressure
  • rear lowering kit
  • added rear weight

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Yep, my '03 went easily onto the stand, my '10, not so much.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Will check mine, later, as you have done Glockjock.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Remove the centerstand and lube it properly before reinstalling, it’s pretty surprising what a difference that makes.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine (2001) appears to measure 7 5/16. Perhaps the feet on my old girl are worn down a 1/8"?

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could the added weight from farkles such as trunk rack, trunk spoiler, and backrest plus all the stuff we typically have in the trunk and saddlebags make a difference? I think so. I have an 08 that has all the things I mentioned and I have an 07 that is bone stock with nothing in the trunk and saddlebags. Both have the same tires and suspension settings. The stock bike is noticeably easier to get on the center stand. Full disclosure the tires on the stock bike are new and the rear on the loaded one has about 6000 miles on it. Also I have noticed over the years that fuel load can make a difference. Add these factors to what was previously posted.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Glen: Mine, 07 is same as yours, Now take a measurement at the bottom of the, muffler / cat crossover pipe, to the floor while the wing is freestanding with no one on it suspension set on 25. Make sure handel bars are straight ahead!! see whatcha get ? Mine is 6-1/8". My rear spring has 115,000mi on it. I have about 25 lbs of junk in my wing xtra which will not move spring one way or other on any wing. Hope this helpsll

1 - 20 of 46 Posts