GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Before you change stands, there’s a simple solution that multiplies the mechanical advantage of your existing CS!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My 2003 is also 7 7/16".

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
When comparing effort on center standing, this may or may not matter.

If one riders a very low miles 2001-03, and a very low miles 2006-17, the body position is noticeably different. It must be a difference in the frame. I've rode a few low mile 2001-03, and it always feels to me like I am riding on top of the Wing instead of it feeling somewhat around me. Low mileage as in less than 5,000 miles and them also being naked.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A difference in ease in getting bike up on the Center Stand also is affected by the shock or suspension settings. 1/4 inch makes a big difference.

·
Administrator
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Glen: Mine, 07 is same as yours, Now take a measurement at the bottom of the, muffler / cat crossover pipe, to the floor while the wing is freestanding with no one on it suspension set on 25. Make sure handel bars are straight ahead!! see whatcha get ? Mine is 6-1/8". My rear spring has 115,000mi on it. I have about 25 lbs of junk in my wing xtra which will not move spring one way or other on any wing. Hope this helpsll

Doug, mine is almost exactly the same as yours, 6 1/8" to 6 3/16". If yours is easy to get on the stand I guess that verifies that my springs at 72,000 miles are not sagging excessively. I'm beginning to think that the problem may indeed be operator error!!

Yes, this was very helpful! Thanks!

Glen

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Installed the Pirelli P1 195/60-16 rear tire today. Makes it even easier than before to mount up onto the centerstand. The E4 was about half way worn out, a bit flat in the center. I'm willing to bet there will make a difference between tires new/old and brand/types.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
171 Posts
Something you might want to consider, pump up the suspension before putting in on the center stand. I usually ride at 10-15 and at that level I cannot get mine up on the center stand. When I raise it to 25, it will just pop right up no problem.. I have the original center stand. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good point, mine was very hard to get on the center stand before I refilled the rear preload and set it to 25. Then it was easier, and now with a new tire it's even easier than that.

I was patting myself on the back for obviously improving my technique until you brought that up. :unsure:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think we should be measuring how far our rear tire is off of the ground. With a '65 tire, my rear tire is 3/4" off the ground. The '65 tire did make lifting the bike much easier than with the '60 tire.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Lots of good answers but I still say you need to remove the centerstand and make sure it’s properly lubed, that’s a lesson I learned way back when I owned my first GL1500, I was very surprised what a difference the new grease made.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2018 non-tour (but I have a trunk I put on the back). I use my centerstand exclusively and rarely use my sidestand (even when I get off the bike, it stays up). My point is with practice and improvement of technique, it gets easier. Also, I note that even though it's easier to get it up on the centerstand with the back sloped down, it makes it a little harder to get it off the centerstand - -and vice versa.

Also, I've heard of folks riding onto their driveway so that their back wheel ends up on a piece of plywood (doesn't have to be thick as every little bit makes a difference) or just backup onto a piece of plywood later. The getting the bike onto the centerstand is made easier.

I saw the video where Max put the 2018 goldwing onto the center stand with two people on the bike and figured if he can do that, I should be able to do it without people.

Dennis

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just asking but do you have a lot of stuff in your trunk or saddlebags? A little bit of weight there can greatly add to the effort required to put the bike on the center stand. My 2013 was a b*tch to get on the stand. This summer I stopped by baker-bilt in Ohio and they installed their ride off center stand for me and it is now a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Why can't Honda come up with an easier to operate centerstand for the Wing? The Kawasaki Voyager had a two step centerstand (still manual operation) that was much easier. Somehow BMW can have a lighter full dress bike and still have a motor on the centerstand (the older K 1200LT) . Is any of this stuff propriatary?

Just for the fun of it here is a video of how Kawasaki fixed the difficulty of the centerstand (even though it is only just over 800 pounds of motorcycle).

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is kind of an extension of another question I made on this board, but I'm posting a new question in order to stay on topic.

I could pop my old 2006 GL1800 onto the centerstand easily, but I quickly noticed that it was a lot harder to get my 2012 on the stand. I didn’t question it at the time, but just accepted it. Now, because of the other thread I just checked part numbers for centerstands and see some differences.

Gl1800’s from 2001 through 2010 list three different model numbers, 50500-MCA-A00, 50500-MCA-S40, and 50500-MCA-305

GL1800’s from 2012 through 2017 list ONLY 50500-MCA-305

Apparently any of the stands will fit any Goldwing, but what is different in the three model numbers? I’m wondering if for some reason the #305 for 2012 is slightly longer or has a slightly different foot. Any ideas?

Glen
Could not help but notice that no one mention the use of a ride off stand. I purchased one from Wingstuff years ago for my 05' after seeing a friend use one on his 02'. So effortless that I can pull my 05' up on the stand engine off while sitting on the bike. using the reverse makes it even easier by simply with the left foot push the stand to the ground and hit the reverse button. check it out at Wingstuff.

Reactions: wallace453

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I for a while had a bear of a time getting my 07 onto the centerstand.. Found that it is a bit easier if you put the rear suspension in full preload.

And when you are pushing down on the centerstand pad, make an effort to ensure that you are pushing directly downward. Any deviation from vertical increases effort dramatically.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I find it much easier to push back and down at an angle.

Pushing straight down seems to take the most effort for me.

Reactions: CAWing
21 - 40 of 46 Posts