GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Glen: Mine, 07 is same as yours, Now take a measurement at the bottom of the, muffler / cat crossover pipe, to the floor while the wing is freestanding with no one on it suspension set on 25. Make sure handel bars are straight ahead!! see whatcha get ? Mine is 6-1/8". My rear spring has 115,000mi on it. I have about 25 lbs of junk in my wing xtra which will not move spring one way or other on any wing. Hope this helpsll
It's no wonder my '09 is impossible to put up on center stand; measured bottom of the crossover pipe to floor=5.5 inches. I have suspension on 25 (serviced and works as it should), new E4's, very little in the trunk/bags. I have rear spring and shock from a '16 trike conversion, front is stock. 60K miles. I drive the rear up on a 2X4 to be able to center stand it.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Administrator
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'll add a little more info here just to document what we found this weekend.

I was at ssncob's house this weekend, and we compared my 2012 to his 2008 Wing. I could put his 2008 on the stand pretty easily. I then went back to my 2012, and was able to put it on the stand, but it was a lot harder than was Jerry's.

We once again verified that my rear suspension pump engages at 1, and raises the back all the way to 25. Jerry then measured the height from the ground to the bottom of the tires on both bikes. Both bikes have identical tires. He found that my bike has a full 1/4" more clearance than does his 2008 while on the centerstand. This may be due to my fork tubes being raised 5mm.

I will pull and grease my centerstand just to verify that doesn't contribute to the issue, and as suggested I will also get a piece of 1/4 plywood to put under the front wheel just to simulate putting the fork tubes flush.

Glen

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
After 18 years and 557,000 miles I finally greased my centerstand today and yes it works much better now.
But it was a pretty difficult job ! The right side 14mm bolt is left hand threaded and I had a hard time getting it loose, the spring was pretty easy to remove and re install, but the left side uses a 8mm Allen head bolt supposedly it’s the normal right hand thread but I was unable to get it loose and finally gave up on it. So in the end I only greased the right side but it does work much better now.
Many years ago I greased the centerstand on my 1500 wing and as far as I remember it was much easier and the new grease was a big improvement.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
one thing I've noticed is the presenters don't pull the clutch in. Important to pull the clutch in while putting on center stand. Increases area to grab on, ensures rear wheel not locked in gear and will rotate, and most importantly, reduces or eliminates torsional stress on left handgrip which is the major cause of left grip heater failure.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well this is a surprise. I never thought my Centerstand on my '08 Airbag had any resistance, was a problem, or could be any better. I decided to open mine up and look. Wrong. It was clean but without grease. While apart, I used a Dremel sanding wheel to clean up paint in there , polish the bushings, and remove some rough spots from manufacturing that added friction. I put it back together and lo and behold, it really is a lot easier to get on the stand. I used Bel-Ray waterproof grease to keep it lubed for a long time

Fyi, I used my Condor front wheel chock to hold the bike vertical so I could access the stand hardware much easier. The right side bolt is left-hand thread and is a 14mm head, the left bolt is right-hand thread and an 8mm Allen. Got all that? As others have commented, those bolts are under significant torque from the factory. There is minimal space to exercise leverage on the rachet. I used a long rachet and then put a hydraulic floor jack under the handle to give me the power needed to break it loose.

To reassemble, of course all the parts were coated in the grease, then reassembled as they came out. Reconnecting the spring is easiest if you support the stand as high as possible with some blocks, as it minimizes the distance the spring has to be stretched. It's still a demanding pull, and you definitely should have someone holding onto the bars to ensure it doesn't come over on you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are the parts numbers on the stand somewhere? I have the same problem with my '08. No problem with my '03. They look the same shape & size.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts