GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting buzzing noise (for lack of a better word to describe it) at low RPM, like up to about 2000 RPM. I hear it in the audio of the radio, MP3 player, CB, all at low RPM, seems to fade out as I get up to cruising speed. Now, here is the strange part, when I turn off all the electronic stuff, radio, CB and MP3 player, I can still hear the noise coming from the engine, again, at low RPM. The bike is an 03 GL1800 with 65K miles on it. I suspect the alternator brushes but having said that, the alternator is charging at about 14.4 volts, according to my onboard voltmeter. Maybe someone can jump in here and give me a diagnosis? In the event that it is the brushes, are they hard to change? Are they soldered in or are they connected by screws and ring connectors? Please tell me ring connectors. Appreciate all the good info I know is forthcoming from you guys.
Reg

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Buzz gone!

A month or so ago I cleaned both G1 and G2 and ran a wire ground between the two and that did not get rid of all the audio noise, I still had this buzz. Today I installed another ground wire between G2 and the frame and that got rid of the buzz. Only problem is I know I am treating the symptom and not the disease. Whatever was causing the buzz is still there even though it is not interfering with my audio any more. I still suspect the alternator brushes but have not heard from anyone with any experience on this and I am reluctant to go pulling the alternator and ripping it apart on a mere suspicion. Also, if they are soldered in then maybe I need to have it doe by a pro.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Manual - pins so you can re-assemble pull when done
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts