GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the antennas on their Wing to something other than the stock "wire" type? I had the fiberglass type antennas on my 78 a long time ago and was wondering if anyone has swithced to these on your 1800. I am not happy with the fold down mechanism and would like to switch to a "twist" disconnect when covering it. I also like the idea of antennas having lights on them similar to what they do on the sandrails and atvs. Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you want to get creative, you can modify the stock mounts and add quick disconnects on them, and install a fiberglass CB antennas in them, but you can not run a wire on them mike the sand rail flag antenna, because it will interfere with the RF. But you can look for a old CB item called a fire fly, this is a neon bulb that glows when you key the mic.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No lights but the Sierra single antenna has been fantastic for me as I have had them on 2 Wings. I think they look great. I have the short one that looks sharp and I like having one as opposed to dual wire stock types. The link is below.

https://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=443

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Not sure why you don't like the fold-down mechanism, I find it handy when putting the cover on. I make a PVC slip-on tube to cover the hinge joint so the cover doesn't get a wear-thru hole in it.

Anyhow - Sierra makes a fiberglass antennae in different lengths for the bike, you can go with two-in-one or two separate ones. Here's a pic of what they look like on my bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
On my 05 long ago, I bought a rubber duckie short antenna with the appropriate adapting nuts and got rid of that long antenna. The radio seemed to come in ok. But I don't listen to the radio while I ride.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
I keep meaning to get some 5/8 heater hose to slip over that bend, that's where my last cover ripped out:thumbup:
Or do a RTE over to the house - I might be talked into giving you a set... :kiss:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You may want to look at the Sierra Electronics website. I bought two SIE GL18 ANT 24" antennas (one for the radio and one for the CB) that utilize the OEM fold-down antenna base. These antennas come in 16", 24" and 36." I have the 24" and have not experienced any audio interruption or CB broadcast/reception with these antennas. They still fold down when covering the wing. No longer do I catch the antennas on the overhead garage door.

Reactions: ClancyMJC

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have had the 24" Sierra antennas for several years on 2 different wings, an 02 & 08, work great!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have the 2' Sierra solo antenna. I have a low garage and any higher needs to be folded every time I come & go. I'm not doing that.

The performance pros and cons as I have heard them in theory and seen reinforced in practice (or at least not complete dope slapped as untrue):
- the shorter antenna hurts your CB TX a good bit, but not the RX very much. Can mitigate by it being well tuned, but it's still a hit.
- not a noticeable hit on FM reception. Though I'm not at the fringe of a favorites station's coverage. There's still a decent antenna length.
- the antenna splitter forces them to make some choices as they design and tune things (no comprendo the details). Sierra says they intentionally favor CB & FM at the expense of AM (at least that's what I think Wayne said a while back to me). I don't do much AM so that's a good call for me.
- the solo antenna is better for CB TX. In the dual antenna setup, the FM antenna distorts the radiation. Since I was going short (bad), I went short and solo rather than short / dual (worse).

The performance vs. length tradeoff was worth it to me. I only need to fold when I cover it. I only CB within a group so don't need to push my range. I live in a major metro area so have FM out the wazoo. BTW, my bike radio still massively outperforms the Sena 20S built in FM as I push out a bit.

I probably should add a little PVC / hose / tennis ball protector but my cover has some reinforcement in the right area so no problems so far.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm looking for a stock radio antenna if anyone has one they want to sell. Mine went missing a few months ago while the wife and I were having lunch with some friends.

Dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First THANK YOU to those that responded to my original post. I did some research and ended up replacing them with 2' white fiberglass antennas from Walcott Radio (www.walcottradio.com). I went alittle more agressive than most want to go but I ended up removing the stock antennas at the foldover and drilling out the stock holder. I used a 21/64" drill bit and took my time but it drilled out very easy since that part is brass. After drilling and cleaning the new hole out I tapped new threads to match the new antennas (standard is 3/8-24), this too was easier than what I thought it would be. Slow and steady is the key through all this. I purchased a dual antenna kit but just used the antennas (it was cheaper LOL) and their special quick disconnects which are a screw type rather than just a 1/4 turn twist. All the parts fit together and I think look a step up from the wire antennas. Finished them off with my flags and am very happy with the results. I have not noticed any difference in reception or CB performance but I don't use them that often.
Let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've had the Sierra on my trike since 2005 and am very satisfied with it as far as CB reception. I went with just the single antenna. I've been able at times to talk as far as 6 miles away, and most times and can hear our group talking long after we have parted. FM reception is fine, but AM...not so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts