GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Need input on my 2002 Wing with 145,000 miles. If the fluid in the left leg's purpose is to control the anti dive function and the fluid in the right is for rebound purposes, can you use a different weight fluid in each leg? I have spaced out the anti dive washer, but would like to soften up the anti dive a little more, but I don't want to totaly disable it. I am thinking about replacing the 10 wgt with 5 wgt. I also want to slow down the rebound on the right fork as it seems to be pogoing more that when it was new. I am thinking about replacing the 10 wgt with 15 wgt in this leg. I installed Proggressive front springs at about 115,000 miles and will change the rear spring as soon as the parts arrive. Any thoughts?

Donnie

·
Vendor
2,334 Posts
That will work. We have even exaggerated what you want to do.

Use the thinnest oil you can find for the left leg. There are several good 3 wt shock oils. You really only need oil to lubricate the left leg.

Thicker oil in the right leg will provide more damping force, note that as the oil thickness goes up, you will loose a little bit of compliance in order to gain overall damping peformance.

Anything over 20 wt you will have to change back out when the temps drop.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Max McAllister said:
That will work. We have even exaggerated what you want to do.

Use the thinnest oil you can find for the left leg. There are several good 3 wt shock oils. You really only need oil to lubricate the left leg.

Thicker oil in the right leg will provide more damping force, note that as the oil thickness goes up, you will loose a little bit of compliance in order to gain overall damping peformance.

Anything over 20 wt you will have to change back out when the temps drop.
A very cool post Max!
Are people doing this for performance handling?
Thanks, dw :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts