GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Anyone else see this youtube video about a guy who is making gear sets for the final drive? Is it real? Anyone know him? I didn't ever see a price.

It is supposed to lower our RPM's by about 15%.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I saw that, he has made one (1) so far.

AFIK,
he is looking for orders, but no takers.

IMO, it is a waste of money.
the flat six has so much torque, it don't need a lower gear set, or higher gear set for that matter.

·
Registered
475 Posts
One of the top Concours gurus made a custom final drive for the six speed C10 that was all the rave but it was a limited by order build. Reduced the cruising rpm by 10-15%, which even with the six speed, would have been a good upgrade for that tightly spaced gearbox.
Have no complaints with the Wing. Smooth enough and plenty of top gear power, even when towing.

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Hey Guys,
Anyone else see this youtube video about a guy who is making gear sets for the final drive? Is it real? Anyone know him? I didn't ever see a price.

I think he lives in the UK. I posted his web page a while back, but I think the web page link was removed.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I saw that, he has made one (1) so far.

AFIK,
he is looking for orders, but no takers.

IMO, it is a waste of money.
the flat six has so much torque, it don't need a lower gear set, or higher gear set for that matter.
Thats been debated here for years..but I like a lot of others on this forum always thought the GL1800 could have used a 6th gear...Honda listened and gave it to us with the 2018...I love the lower rpms at highway speeds...one of the nicest upgrades with the 2018 Gold Wing IMO

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Thats been debated here for years..but I like a lot of others on this forum always thought the GL1800 could have used a 6th gear...Honda listened and gave it to us with the 2018...I love the lower rpms at highway speeds...one of the nicest upgrades with the 2018 Gold Wing IMO
Yep,
I'm one of the odd ones here in that, I too really wish my Wing had a 6th gear. So many talk about power at that high RPM but, to me, it's not the POWER that is being sought after here. It's the ability to LOWER the engine RPMs at freeway speeds. I've said this many times on here. ALL of my other vehicles run SERIOUSLY LOWER RPMS at freeway speeds, vs the Wing. Heck, even our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L V-8 is running 1,650 RPMs at 60. Our 2015 Jeep JKUR is running 2,200 at 60. The motorhome runs 1,700 at 60. The Wing, somewhere around 2,800 at 60.

If someone was actively producing a higher gear set (lower rpms) for the final drive on the Wing, I'd look into it in a heartbeat. No, I don't think anything's wrong with the Wing, not at all. And, I could care less about the potential need to down shift if needed for any variable situation due to taller gears, big deal. This is all a preference thing for sure.
Scott

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Although I don't recommend doing this, some will go with the 4th gen Valkyrie tire on the rear that does have a higher profile. The higher profile does seem enough to correct the speedo error, but it carries less weight, and some will say it corners better because it can layover further over in curves. Because of the softer sidewall, it will not handle as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like my 2014 Valkyrie with higher gearing. A more relaxed feel at highway speeds and better fuel mileage at 70 mph. I geared up two Yamaha's i owned by adding a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket. The result was just what i wanted. I think the wings were designed for a 55 mph world. Since speed limits have continued to rise there is no need to keep the lower gearing. Took Harley and others a while to change. Understandable because with mass produced vehicles the factory won't bother to change rapidly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reading the comments, he wants $975.00 plus freight to drop the rpm by 400 at 70 mph. Id probably bite for $400 shipped (ring and pinion) just to play with the taller gear set. But the Wing has no problems cruising +4000 RPM's all day long down the interstate so its difficult to justify. Then there are potentialy dangerous unknown quality issues that might arise from the new gear set. Id hate to have the carrier grenade and lock the rear tire at any speed!

As an aside, I mounted a taller 205/60 Driveguard runflat that corrected the 6 mph speedometer error on my 02 Wing and dropped a few cruise RPM's. It also increasing steering rake angle slightly for noticably quicker steering response in the twisties. Im probably satisfied for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guys,

Wouldn't it be just as good and cheaper to just buy a size 180/70R16 tire. My stock tire is 180/60R16 also I'm a newbe

·
Registered
8,767 Posts
Cat is out of the bag - on another forum. You can go there and read the whole story, if you'd like.

There are three prototypes that exist. A past member of this forum bought one of them a couple of days ago.

He's done a baseline on his bike with the OEM gear and a camera running; I'm expecting he'll do the same as soon as he gets the prototype installed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts