GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Nope. Forum software managed here won't allow the mention of other, competing forums.
Unless the mods have a problem with it, you can get around the forum software by posting the link disguised as a text string the way you can post an email address as "address at email.net." For instance you could write it as cnn dot com.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Uhm.email? I don't think it's like a private server or pic on a submarine? Good luck on your quest for knowledge. I do understand the concept of barring other forums though and I agree with that.

·
Vendor
16,026 Posts
If it helps, here is what I wrote about this 6mths ago. If I recall, my posting included and email link and a link to where I'd found it. The email link was audited out with the reason it was not needed, or the mod felt the info was duplicate, or something like that. When revisiting it now, I see the web page link is now removed too.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Two guys create 'infotainment' videos for sale - one of those guys owns a forum.

That is where there's now some real-world discussion on this topic.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I was reading this on the other forum this evening. He has it installed, has about 60 miles on it, and after calibrating the speedo to accommodate the gear change, says he's seeing 70 MPH @ 2600 RPM and 90 MPH @ 3300 RPM. He also reports smoother performance in 1st gear, making slow travel and maneuvers through parking lots a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I’d like to see it last at least as long as OEM. Hopefully it’s a good development and lasts. By next winter, I would be in the market for one myself.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
No firm details yet on final pricing, but you'll be getting a replacement final drive assembly. A web page, created by the proprietor, is in the works.

...and, there's a pretty substantial change with the speedometer (~13 MPH lower). For those that have a speedometer that's ~5 MPH fast, with this, it'll be ~8 MPH lower uncorrected. At this point, a rider might also consider a 'SpeedoHealer' or equivalent device to rectify that issue.

·
Registered
20,679 Posts
It will be interesting to see if the actual miles per gallon actually improves and how much, I personally don’t think it would be much at all But I’ve been wrong way to many times.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Reading the comments, he wants $975.00 plus freight to drop the rpm by 400 at 70 mph. Id probably bite for $400 shipped (ring and pinion) just to play with the taller gear set. But the Wing has no problems cruising +4000 RPM's all day long down the interstate so its difficult to justify. Then there are potentialy dangerous unknown quality issues that might arise from the new gear set. Id hate to have the carrier grenade and lock the rear tire at any speed!

As an aside, I mounted a taller 205/60 Driveguard runflat that corrected the 6 mph speedometer error on my 02 Wing and dropped a few cruise RPM's. It also increasing steering rake angle slightly for noticably quicker steering response in the twisties. Im probably satisfied for now.
True, but that's 92 (gps) mph! So its likely "all day" could be interrupted during ceremonies bestowing special performance awards typically given out by various jurisdictions. :)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
It's not something I'd be interested in--I'm content with the DCT's drivetrain--but I'm grateful and happy that creative people are seeing the Goldwing as a platform for building on.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Still love the idea for older 1800 rpm to high on my 06
It must be me, for the life of me, I don't have a clue what this sentence means.
Scott

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I believe that the fellow who is responsible for this "Modified" final drive for our Goldwings is Henry Park. I came across two phone numbers for him: 310-532-6666 and 310-294-4242. His daytime job is with a company by the name of "Defense Truck Parts" located at either: 14710 S. Maple Ave., Gardena CA 90248 or 14904 S Figueroa St., Gardena CA 90248. As he's actually fairly close to me I may have to stop by and see what his plans actually are and from where he is sourcing the ring and pinion, I don't believe he is manufacturing them on-site.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts