GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the vast experience viewing this board by riders who have traveled all over this great country of ours maybe someone has seen what I am asking about someplace.

I have German Shepherds and am thinking of building a trailer to transport us around the country to different shows and training events. I have noticed other riders with smaller dogs in chest and back packs attending various ralley's but that wold be impossible with a GSD.

What I am asking is, other than me or another driver, doing something stupid, what might be the hazards of transporting an animal in a trailer behind a Wing.

I know I will have to make sure and vent it correctly, and maybe install turn-down pipes, might need some advice on that also, but what else might I be looking at?

Ron

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ron, I've seen these trailers advertised by Quicksilver....might check with them for others who travel with the bigger four footed's, for thier experiences.

http://quicksilvertrailers.com/pup.htm

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Before I met Meesh, I used to haul some pretty sad dogs on the back of my bike. About the worse thing that happened, was the hangover....LOL

I think that a few members of the board have fabricated their own dog carriers. I remember seeing pooch behind some Plexiglas enjoying the sites. Wish I could remember who. I will look in some of my archives and see what I come up with.

Bulldog

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think a sidecar would be safer for the animal.

·
Registered
446 Posts
66Plus, . . . . . Please take yourself to:

WWW.quicksilvertrailers.com

They have exactly what you are looking for. It's called the "Pup Kennel". It has easy entry doors, ventilation, and a sun-roof the dogs can stick their heads out while traveling without them jumping out. I have had the privilege of being able to go right to the factory, Trout Creek, Montana, and pick my cargo trailer out of his stock. He makes four different sizes, the other 3 are sleepers. and two of them can be towed by motorcycles. The "Pup Kennel" is 4 inches longer than my cargo and is 2 inches taller. Rick Katana is a master woodworker/cabinet maker and his quality is extreme. Full independent suspension and the trailers are light in weight. The wing does not know it is pulling a trailer.
:D :biker:

Give him a try and look at his trailers, . . . you won't be dissappointed!

·
Registered
615 Posts
66plus, my friend has one of the ones from QuickSilver. She carries two of her dogs in it and also some water food, and some of her stuff in it. She loves it and pulls it with her 01 goldwing. Good luck love to see pets taken with their owners. Joy

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
They have listed electric brakes as an option. While brakes sound good at first brush, I wonder what can of worms they would open in the real world with a bike. Would they have the tendency to pull the rear bike wheel out from under you if you had to brake in a corner? What about in the rain? Brakes would be a great help with a heavy trailer in dry, straight stopping. Has anyone here heard of anybody on a bike pulling a trailer with brakes?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have seen and talked to bikers with dogs or pets in both sidecars and trailers....both work fine according to them. I think its great to be able to take your pet along...they enjoy the trip as much as you do. good luck with your venture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts