GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed the oil and rear end oil. My wing is an 02 with 25k on it. I found the oil the be black which I expected but what I did not find was any metal particles. The lower plug had what appeared as a grease on the end of it but not particles there either. All in all I was quite satisfied and through some of the threads the top nut has been a booger to get off. Mine was a breeze and the case was filled to the top with oil
All I can say is all went well and I am happy I didn't have some of the problems others have encountered. Maybe Honda took better pride in 02 in their building than they do now.:cool:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The stuff that you called grease on the bottom plug is a collection of fine metal that collects on the plug because it is magnetic. Just wipe it of with a rag before you reinstall it and you will be good to go.
I can't imagine what problems anyone could encounter. It's pretty fool-proof. I've change my 2008 twice and it's a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Was this the first time you changed it? 25,000 miles on a 10 year old bike? I hope you have cyhanged it before, I did mine every other oil change, (6,000 miles). Hope you have changed your fork oil and it's not 10 years old also. :wrong:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Was this the first time you changed it? 25,000 miles on a 10 year old bike? I hope you have cyhanged it before, I did mine every other oil change, (6,000 miles). Hope you have changed your fork oil and it's not 10 years old also. :wrong:
The manual says to inspect it every 8,000 and replace it every 24,000. I replaced mine at 8,000 and was informed by a board guru that I had ruined the break-in by taking out the break-in lube too soon. Oh well. Mine is doing ok so far changing it every 8,000.
And, since I'm referring to the manual, there is no service interval on the forks or fork oil. Hey, It ain't me talking.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The manual says to inspect it every 8,000 and replace it every 24,000. I replaced mine at 8,000 and was informed by a board guru that I had ruined the break-in by taking out the break-in lube too soon. Oh well. Mine is doing ok so far changing it every 8,000.
And, since I'm referring to the manual, there is no service interval on the forks or fork oil. Hey, It ain't me talking.
You are right about the Fork Oil. I just changed mine at 32,000 miles. It was NASTY. I have now penciled it into my Service Manual, Maintenence Schedule.

From what I have read here, and learned from other members, I think I will change it when I do the Air Filter, from now on.

I was not brave enough to go there until I bought Freds Videos, The Manual says to remove the forks. but, Fred shows how to drain them, and change the fluid without removing them.

It is not that difficult to do, It is messy and a little time consuming, but while you have the Upper Shelter off for servicing, I think it is a good time do it ?

Have always changed Differential Fluid at every other Oil Change, and the magnetic drain plug always has particles in it. Guess it is doing its job.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Four ounces is the proper amount. If you filled to the top you WILL have issues. My suggestion is you ride more and purchase a manual and read it

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
25,000 miles is only 1000 over recommended interval. 10yrs old doesn't matter. Fork oil, just change it when and if the fork seals leak at the same time seals are replaced. This has always worked for me. I get 60-100k out of fork seals and never had a final drive failure, so good enough apparently.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes at 25k it was the first time I open up the rear end for inspection or changing. I think the manual recommends 24k..I am pleased with it and probably will change a little more often now that i see how easy it is changed.

BTW I had posted a short while back about my shifter hanging and not returning to the "neutral position" not neutral gear when shifting down. After I changed my oil with about 5k on it (it was synthetic) to new synthetic so far it has not hanged in the non neutral position when downshifting.. heres hoping..:eek:4:

Overall the bike has been flawless in 10 years.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
It was probably me...

he is referring to the factory OEM fill of rear-end fluid that contains heavy moly content, and is supposed to stay put until the recommended service interval.

So many change their fluids WAY prematurely to feel all warm & fuzzy, but just wasting good money. The recommended intervals in the manual are there for a reason. JMO

Break in oil? No such thing on a Goldwing.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
25,000 miles is only 1000 over recommended interval. 10yrs old doesn't matter. Fork oil, just change it when and if the fork seals leak at the same time seals are replaced. This has always worked for me. I get 60-100k out of fork seals and never had a final drive failure, so good enough apparently.
Change the fork oil when the fork seals leak? Are you kidding me? Obviously you aren't aware of the wear of the fork's bushings. By not changing the fork oil and the fork's bushings you are wearing the inner walls of your forks prematurely.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Change the fork oil when the fork seals leak? Are you kidding me? Obviously you aren't aware of the wear of the fork's bushings. By not changing the fork oil and the fork's bushings you are wearing the inner walls of your forks prematurely.
I've just never had fork seal problems so never seen the need to go into the work of changing oil. I've got at least 500,000 miles on motorcycles and can count on one hand how many seals have caused problems. Of course it's good advice to keep good fresh fluid in there, but I have my doubts it makes that much difference really. Fork oil will always look black, oh My GOD it's BLACK, how horrible! Differential oil will be black, engine oil black too. Color does not mean 100% certainty you're running bad oil in any of them. I like nice golden oil much as the next guy, but if it doesn't extend life I see no sense. Definately doesn't hurt though, however anyone even notice the number of "I change my gear oil every 4,000 miles and at 50k my final drive broke"? Seems like just as many as the ones that never do any maintenence or actually more possibly. Who knows, do what you think best and that's probably going to be just fine.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

I know at least 3 excellent mechanics that downright REFUSE any customer's request to ever change fork oil on ANY bike as routine maint! They are all convinced that changing it leads to more blown or leaking fork seal issues than leaving it alone for the duration of ownership.

Used to change it myself back in the 70's on my mechanically SIMPLE dirt bikes, but those days are long gone.

:shrug:

I've just never had fork seal problems so never seen the need to go into the work of changing oil. I've got at least 500,000 miles on motorcycles and can count on one hand how many seals have caused problems. Of course it's good advice to keep good fresh fluid in there, but I have my doubts it makes that much difference really. Fork oil will always look black, oh My GOD it's BLACK, how horrible! Differential oil will be black, engine oil black too. Color does not mean 100% certainty you're running bad oil in any of them. I like nice golden oil much as the next guy, but if it doesn't extend life I see no sense. Definately doesn't hurt though, however anyone even notice the number of "I change my gear oil every 4,000 miles and at 50k my final drive broke"? Seems like just as many as the ones that never do any maintenence or actually more possibly. Who knows, do what you think best and that's probably going to be just fine.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I changed my front fork oil at 90,000 miles---when I had a racetech front fork rebuild done!!!!! The internal parts were pretty worn---as to be expected with 90,000 miles on the bike. The seals were not leaking at all- I just wanted the racetech suspension improvement.
And I am just too lazy to change the rear drive oil too frequently! I have 102,000 miles on the bike now and it shifts and runs like a dream. Now that I finally got it "broke in", I guess I can now really ride it!!!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Ron,

You've addressed the lack of you fork oil change as others above have mentioned as well, and that may be fine in some cases, but there was no mention by you nor the above board members of the condition of your fork bushings, or the damage that they may be doing to the forks.

That was the intent of my message to you. I know of at least one board member, who's name I choose not to mention, that wanted to have his forks Traxxionized. Because he seldom changed his fork oil and never took apart his forks, the worn out bushings wore out his forks. He had to purchase new forks ($$$) before he got his forks Traxxionized.

I've use him as an example, but I personally know that the Teflon coating on the bushings is completely worn off at 30,000 miles. What you have left is metal on metal, which we all know is not a good thing.

By doing a complete forks' preventive maintenance you avoid costly fork replacement in the future.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Four ounces is the proper amount. If you filled to the top you WILL have issues. My suggestion is you ride more and purchase a manual and read it
Just did mine yesterday, 28000 miles...my manual states to fill with oil to the bottom of the inspection hole...how could one put too much oil in the differential? Just askin'...Thanks

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
:agree:

I know at least 3 excellent mechanics that downright REFUSE any customer's request to ever change fork oil on ANY bike as routine maint! They are all convinced that changing it leads to more blown or leaking fork seal issues than leaving it alone for the duration of ownership.

Used to change it myself back in the 70's on my mechanically SIMPLE dirt bikes, but those days are long gone.

:shrug:
Same here. On my dirt bike forks, my rule was, if it ain't leaking, don't touch it. Once you touched it you would have to touch it many more times.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The stuff that you called grease on the bottom plug is a collection of fine metal that collects on the plug because it is magnetic. Just wipe it of with a rag before you reinstall it and you will be good to go.
I can't imagine what problems anyone could encounter. It's pretty fool-proof. I've change my 2008 twice and it's a 10 minute job.
WEll, when I changed mine @ 21K (rear diff) I ended up having to chisel
the fill plug off. I tried every kind of wrench possible. Ended up rounding the bolt head because of the aluminum being so soft. It WAS the first oil change. Whoever at the factory did the install must have been a gorilla! Same thing happened to me on a new '98 Silverado on its first oil change, couldn't get the filter off...:shrug:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm sure some will say its overkill, but I change my final drive oil with every motor oil change....only takes a few minutes and I'm content knowing there's always fresh oil in there....ride safe....
p.s. and they're BOTH synthetic oil now....

Scott

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Just did mine yesterday, 28000 miles...my manual states to fill with oil to the bottom of the inspection hole...how could one put too much oil in the differential? Just askin'...Thanks
Just changed mine, and that is what my Service Manual said as well.
I guess you could overfill it if the bike was on the side stand. But that is why I bought the Service Manual, so I could follow the proper procedures.

As far as the fork oil, I still have not found in the manual what the reccomended interval, if any, to change it is. :shrug:

But like Gary said, It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know it has been looked at, and changed.

I would think dirty fork oil is as bad as any other dirty oil. At least I have now cleaned out all the particles floating around, that could cause wear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts