GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My camera broke :cry: need a new one, I've been looking at the Canon SD550....anyone using one of these????? Others????

I'll be using this mostly on the bike, quick shots, trip photos Etc...

Want something small, not too difficult to use, ease of downloads...nothing professional, home use, eBay..... :wink:

Thanks 8)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I have a new (6 months old) Cannon, 5 meg. pixal, can't remember the model #, but it takes great photos and is easyt o use. If you can get to a library, you can check it out in the "Consumers Reports" mag.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Here's a review if you want the best professional opinion:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd550/
I bought one for my wife and me when I don't want to carry the digital SLR like this:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona700/
I think it has more controls/options than yours but we still shoot most of the time in program or auto mode. Its still small and fits in pocket
I have 2 Canon Powershots and a Digital Rebel, they all take great photos. I used to be a Custom photo printer for pro photograhers then shot weddings/portraits myself and really like Canon gear. I'm sure the Nikon, Olympus etc are good but I'm partial to Canon. Also I really like the Canon Dyesub printer(CP or Selphy) for 4x6 and wallet photos(CP100, 200,300)these printers connect directly to your camera, you can crop and change from vertical to horizontal and print direct from camera. I prefer to use Adobe Elemets to edit/print/crop my photos. The Canon's take such great pictures that I usually just tweak the brightness/contrast a bit and get great photos. I don't know why you don't hear/see more of the CP dyesub printers, they're better than inkjet for photos, you can go months w/o using it then get a perfect print w/o clogged heads, The printer ribbon comes with the paper and you replace them together i.e. out of paper=out of printer ribbon. I have bought thousands of $$$ worth of gear over the years at www.bhphoto.com great service, no sales tax, delivered to your door. If you want to use the camera direct to Canon printer, make sure the camera is "pic bridge" compatable.
We also have a Canon PowerShot A530 here at work that is similar to my wifes camera and it works great as well.
Steve

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the SD 550 and use it a lot. It takes great pictures and is easy to use. I use a 1 gig card and have had over 700 shots on it with no problems. I don't actually know how many it will hold, but I know it's well over 700. I would buy the same camera again

ps:the battery life is great. You can shoot all day without changing the battery

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I got a Sony Cyber Shot 8.1 MP DSC-N1. A little bigger than a pack of smokes, can see the screen in bright sunlight, very easy to use. and takes very good pics. 380.00 at best buy

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have an exlim by casio

less than 3/4 thick,a nd the same size as a credit card

2.7 inch screen

3x optical lense

takes a sd card

and the battery does 400 shots between charges

i put it in the right pocket and have a knob key to get it out fast

·
Registered
846 Posts
John Garner said:
Canon SD 700 IS - new this May. Small & compact, for MC travel.
Get a soft case & wear it on your belt. Takes high quality videos as well.
I got the SD700IS a couple of months ago and the thing is great. Nice and small, nice bright large LCD, takes great pictures in all kinds of light. I have a SanDisk high speed 2GB card and the thing can hold thousands of photos.

G

·
I use the Kodak Z740. 5 mega pixels, 10x zoom with an additional 4x digital zoom, take lenses (37 or 50), does mpegs, low light picture, action shots and a few other features.
It came with a dock that prints out photos on gloss paper, pictures are great and the cost was reasonable.

Pat

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I like to take scenery shots and things that are some distance away at times. How much optical zoom is needed to get great vista pictures?

I presently have a digital FujiFilm 3800 w/ six optical zoom. The camera is 3 1/2 years old and takes great photos. However, it is too large to put into your pocket so I want something smaller with good zoom power that won't cost me an arm and a leg. After all, I need them for picture taking. Otherwise the the pictures would all look like they were taken on the side of a hill. :roll: :?

Suggestions please. :oops: :wink:

Todd

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If it does not have to fit in a shirt pocket, check out the Canon S2IS. We have the S1IS, and love it. Ours is 3.1 meg, and takes great photos. The lens is a 10X digital zoom. It does real well from up close to way out there. The S2IS is a 5 meg, and 12X digital zoom, and it weighs about half of the S1IS. The S1 uses compact flash, but the S2 uses SD cards. The S3IS is out now, I think for about $500.00. The S2IS is down to about $350.00 or less, and is a lot more camera than the average person will ever use, but it can be put on auto and forgotten about.

I just checked Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8085156631
The S3IS is $399.00 on their web site. You need to check it out. It is a really great camera.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the SD 550 and love it, although they make the SD630 now that has a 3' screen which I will get next.

The picture quality is awesome and the battery lasts a long time. And the 1 gig card is a must also.

I wish it zoomed in past 3x though. The digital zoom on these cameras isnt that great.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
I just bought a new Cannon SD700 with optical image stabilization, and I am really impressed with the quality of photos it takes, it's start up speed, and shot to shot speed, as well as decent battery life.

It also does a better job with Macros than my Kodak did and is able to focus easier and more accuratly.

The image stabilization lets me hand hold shots that used to require a tripod. I gain about two or three stops with it.

Amazon.com now has it on sale for about $340 or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts