GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride early this morning. Clock working just as it should. After a brief stop for breakfast I started it up and the clock had reset itself to 1:00. The actual time was about 8:00. Rode home and clock was keeping time , just not the right time. Got home, did a few chores before putting the bike up and when I restarted it, the clock once again reset itself to 1:00.

Tried adjusting the clock following the instructions in the owners manual.
Turned it on, pushed the Mode button twice and the words "Clock adjustment" were displayed just as it should but the manual states that the time on the clock should be blinking. Mine is not blinking. I pressed the Trip to adjust the time but nothing happens.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Are you losing electric power somehow? Does this happen with any of your radio channel presets? If you have NAVI the clock is set by GPS. If you don't have NAVI then to me it sounds like an intermittent electrical loss.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
clock

Check the connection for the dash just in front of the ign key. If it is not in all the way or not making good contact, it can cause problems with the display.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Sounds like your battery is going south, or a loose battery cable.
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Sounds like your battery is going south, or a loose battery cable.
How old is the battery?
Biker John hit the nail on the head. It is almost certainly one of those two things. When you have a bad battery connection, or a weak battery, cranking the starter can cause the battery voltage to drop below what it takes to maintain memory backup. it only has to drop too low for a fraction of a second.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
Biker John hit the nail on the head. It is almost certainly one of those two things. When you have a bad battery connection, or a weak battery, cranking the starter can cause the battery voltage to drop below what it takes to maintain memory backup. it only has to drop too low for a fraction of a second.
:agree:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem with digital clock/battery

I just purchased this bike last Tuesday. Clock and everything else has been working fime since that time. Then yesterday, the clock reset itself.

I put it on a battery tender at 6:30 yesterday afternoon and the green light on the tender (indicating that the battery was at least 80%) came on at about 8:20 last night. I left it on the battery tender the whole night.

This morning the redlight was off and only the green light was on. I reset the clock and the green light on the tender went off and the red light came back on.

I do not know anything about the age of the battery but will try to get
into the area where the battery to check for loose connections.

Anyone have a picture handy of how to get to where the battery is?

I very much appreicate your assistance. Have a good Labor Day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up date

Redlignt is still on the tender and the green one has come back on.

Now if I can just figure out how to get at the battery.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Redlignt is still on the tender and the green one has come back on.

Now if I can just figure out how to get at the battery.
Pull off the left side cover (not the chrome one, the one aft of it.) The battery is inside there and you can check the terminals.

I assume you purchased the bike used if it has a Battery Tender connection?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Battery sounds suspect. Try measuring volts on battery with a DC volt meter with key off. You should see about 12.6 Then turn key on and tap starter button. See what voltage is. If it drops below 11 volts, the battery needs to be replaced. Doesn't make sense that the battery tender would red light so soon after charging unless you have a bad battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Side Cover Removal

Got the side cover off. Thanks for the diagram. Will be taking it to the dealer to get a new battery tomorrow. Found out that I am missing one of the groments.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Did you check the tightness of the battery bolts? Since both are connected, don't use a wrench or ratchet. Use a #3 screwdriver. You never want to tighten the positive post with an angled wrench when the negative cable is connected. It's too easy to hit something that is grounded.

Most owners do not trade in on a whim. They know well ahead of time. And they will be more apt to extend an old battery's life if they know they are getting rid of it soon. It is quite likely the battery is used up. It also could have sat in the dealer's warehouse for awhile, which could drain the battery and destroy it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Left Side cover removal

The previous owner traded this bike in on a new 2012. He was the original owner and the bike had only 7960 miles on it when I picked it up last week. He had a VTX that was his primary ride.

I got the left side cover off and noticed that I am missing the grommet that is at the top rear of the side cover. Can these grommets be purchased individually or do you have to purchase a variety pack of them?

How can I go about finding the right part number for the one that I am missing?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Grommet

Honda shop parts dept should be able to help you.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
How can I go about finding the right part number for the one that I am missing?
This should help you. LINK (This is for a 2005 GL1800, but the grommets are all the same from 2001 to 2010.)

Part #2 is the Grommet that you need. It would be a good idea to have one of each type of grommet used on your Wing in your spare parts collection. A lot of us either use a dab of silicone or small zip ties to keep the grommets in place. It's also a good practice to spray them with silicone lubricant to keep from pushing them out when replacing body panels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem solved

Obtained new battery (fully charged) installed it and took it directly to the shop to make sure that the alternator was charging. Checked out ok and I hope this is the end if it. Thanks to each and everyone that provided assiatance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts