GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on buying a digital Gear Indicator.

Ed
Omaha

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Don't.. They cost an arm and a leg... ;)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
digital

Having had one, they are kinda nice, but if you have an abs model they can be very difficult (for some) to install. The one that works best is pretty expensive...........but hey..........ya gotta have a digital gear change indicator right?? I hear it makes it go faster.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
nerider2 said:

Ed
Omaha
i had an accuman and it didnt work very well

sometimes it took 20 seconds or more to register the gear change

i woudlnt get another of this brand

but i would also like to find a brand that works,a nd get it on my new bike

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
used to be on the Honda too. My 1200 had it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
nerider2 said:

Ed
Omaha
There are instructions here on how to do it.
http://www.airrider.com/store/gl1800install.php

However: WARNING on page:
http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=487

"If your GL-1800 has ABS (anti lock brakes) on it, the installation of your Air Rider Gear/Volt Indicator will be considerably more difficult than the posted instructions found on this web page. In fact, you will need a service manual from Honda for your bike. It will require the removal of the air box (see shop manual) to gain access to the plug you need to connect to. After having done several bikes, it takes me about two hours to complete the install, however, if you are doing it for the first time you may want to plan on four hours or so depending on your mechanical skills and understanding of your bike. Please take this into consideration before purchasing your Air Rider Gear/Volt Indicator."

Lots 'o luck on a guy like me paying $70 an hour for a mechanic to do it for the first time and take 4 hours at it.

I've had them on other bikes and they are very useful. For what a Wing costs, it should have had one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Also standard equipment for the 1984 Honda Sabre 700, I have this bike and indicator works flawless. I would like to see this standard for the GL1800 also. How about it Honda?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yellow Wolf

I'm with Yellow Wolf on this one, I know what gear I'm in, to me this is just a useless expense, but if you just need to confirm...I guess there is a market.
Dennis

P

·
0 Posts
I also have the airrider, with ABS. It does take a bit of disassembly to install, but I found it to be fun and a way to get to know the bike better.
It works instantly and reflects off the windshield so you can read it without looking down.

For those who have to ask why you need one the answer is, you don't. It's a want, like a CB radio, turn down pipe ends and satelite radios. Anyone who has graduated to the Wing class of rider knows what gear they are in.
Sorta like a hide-a-key. Just nice to have, even if you don't need it. :D

Pat

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have the OD indicator to tell me not to try to shift again. When coming to a stop I can see the neutral indicator light flash as I go from 2nd to 1st.

I usually can keep track of what gear I am in.

And yet, I would like it if the GW had a gear indicator.

Toy or tool; it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We're not all perfect Yellowwolf. I usually know what gear the bike is in but would still like it on the 1800. I know what gear I am usually in on the V45 too but it is nice to look. hahahahaha.

·
Registered
144 Posts
now that I have one would not be with out, I ride in fast moving heavy traffic, honda trannys some times give false shifts, it is a relife to be able to peek at the indicator and see what gear you are in, at toll booths with about 50 cars behind you, you have to find nutural quickley, and for moving U turns in O gap traffic it is a must.
I got mine from JNCdistributing.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts