GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this thing. I've ordered one, and am hoping it will do everything I'm needing.

I'd like mainly to be able to, at a minimum, reliably answer phone calls, and perhaps even make them, hands free. I'd also like to be able to run an aftermarket Sirius/XM radio through it.

According to the description, I can do that and more. I hope it can live up to its hype.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JMDM-IPBT-GL18 &PF=32

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bluetooth

Please post your review when installed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. But if I don't, it probably went something like, "Hooked it up, turned bike on, bike caught fire........."

·
Banned
939 Posts
Just posted a very similar help Q with trying to mod in the 2012 Ipod function with the 2010 and earlier models.

This looks interesting as well but not a lot of memory. i too would like to hear about this product.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this thing. I've ordered one, and am hoping it will do everything I'm needing.

I'd like mainly to be able to, at a minimum, reliably answer phone calls, and perhaps even make them, hands free. I'd also like to be able to run an aftermarket Sirius/XM radio through it.

According to the description, I can do that and more. I hope it can live up to its hype.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JMDM-IPBT-GL18 &PF=32

I have had the JMCORP BT stereo accessory on my new 2010 accessory for a couple of months now! It works very well and has integrated with my Garmin Zumo 665 which I use for XM Radio, MP3, and phone connection.

I haven't tried the other music port options that the unit allows since I use my Zumo for all my needs!

Note: My bike does have XM radio and the practically useless GPS that Honda installed, but I use my Zumo 665 for multiple bikes.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I like that 665, but I don't like the $700 tag that comes with it. I already have a cheapie Nuvo, and could never justify buying another unit, even though it does so much stuff. That's why I'm opting for this J&M unit.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yeah, I like that 665, but I don't like the $700 tag that comes with it. I already have a cheapie Nuvo, and could never justify buying another unit, even though it does so much stuff. That's why I'm opting for this J&M unit.
I tried to "save" money by buying a "car" Garmin GPS (it is now in my college daughter's car)!

I won't disagree that weatherproof Garmin GPSs are overly expensive, but they are still BETTER suited for motorcycles than car units.

Since I will have 3 bikes as soon as my Super Tenere is here, I figure the $799 I spent on my Zumo 665 to be minimum!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't disagree with you at all. I didn't explain myself very well. We recently bought a new car, and they gave us this cheapie little unit. So I don't have any money in it, granted. But the wife........

need I say more?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I too am interested in reading reviews of this unit.

If J&M wants to send me a free unit for testing, I would gladly accept it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Will the JMDM-IPBT-GL18 work with all headsets. I have edsets and air riders. I know with some J&M stuff you have to use J&M headsets. I've studied all the information I could find but I haven't found anything about headset requirements. There is one statement about being able to hear and talk through your J&M headsets, but they don't say that this is the only headset that will work. This leads me to believe that all headsets will work. I am very interested in this product.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Will the JMDM-IPBT-GL18 work with all headsets. I have edsets and air riders. I know with some J&M stuff you have to use J&M headsets. I've studied all the information I could find but I haven't found anything about headset requirements. There is one statement about being able to hear and talk through your J&M headsets, but they don't say that this is the only headset that will work. This leads me to believe that all headsets will work. I am very interested in this product.

Tim,

I have JMDM-IPBT-GL18 installed on my bike and it does work quite well with the Edsets. I live off of Indian River Road in VA. Beach so we can meet up some time if you want to try the system out.

Overall I am happy with the system.

Installation was easy with no real issues. I have paired the system with two different cell phones with no problems. Both phones worked well with the sytem in anwering calls. I was actually surprised about the clarity of the phone calls and ability to talk while riding down the road. The one thing to keep in mind is that if you are listening to the FM/AM radio via the bike, you will not be alerted to incomming phone calls, you need to be listening to music via the JMDM system.

A couple of issues that I have noticed: If listening to music from the SD card, the music will on occasion on starting up the bike proceed to the next folder. This can be frustrating since you can have up to 99 songs in a folder. I have not been able to duplicate this easily so I am not sure what is causing the next folder to be played. The music on the SD card is played sequentialy so the only way to shuffle the songs is by shuffling them when saving to the SD card.

I have had issues when using an IPhone 3GS with the sysetm in that the phone will not take a charge from the system. When using an IPOD nano, the nano does take a charge while playing music unlike the IPhone. I am not sure if this a result of me having a bad phone or an issue related to the IPhones themselves.

If you have one of the newer smart phones, this system should work great in that you can bluetooth the music from the phone through the bikes audio system as well as get your navigation and phone calls all from one device.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have this unit installed on my 2010. I am removing the unit and retuning it tomorrow. I have had the SoundGate and now the J&M. I only run an iPod for my music and I want a system that I can control the iPod from the handle bar CD controls

RECAP:

SOUNDGATE: this unit sounded GREAT and Worked well, it would turn the iPod "OFF" when the bike was turned off. When you turned the bike back on the iPod was on the last song which was played.
The problem began that this unit would lose it's memory and required to be "rebooted" and that began to happen often. I installed the unit under the seat so that meant removing the seat to "reboot". This was a pain in the rear.

So I returned the SoundGate for the J&M.

J&M: installed for 3 or 4 weeks. this unit would NOT turn "OFF" the iPos with the bike. The iPod would continue to run. Also sometimes when I blew the horn on the bike the iPod would go into a "download" mode. This would stop the music and would require that the iPod be disconected from the J&M unit, let the iPod cycle then reconnect.

I have talked to J&M and they are willing to change out the unti for another one. I will send it back and I am going to try the Electrical Connection unit next. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I would have thought by NOW that J&M had this unit WITHOUT any issues?

·
Registered
140 Posts
fjtblada,

I've thought about the HONPDSDR interface for IPOD integration, which can be purchased from WINGSTUFF, if they have it in stock. I think it is the best IPOD controller for the Wing. The wing controls and display are used to run the ipod, the ipod cuts off and resumes etc. when the ignition is turned off. My only problem is that when you go this route you can't get GPS prompts or cell phone if listening to the ipod.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tim

That is true, howver the SoundGate that I had kept requiring to be re-botted, other than that is was wonderful.

Like I said before I am going to try the Electrical Connection one next.

Thanks

PS: Wing Stuff is great to deal with.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've got the new j&m bluetooth mp3/phone/. I like the unit and it does everything that it suppose to. I paid less than 300. for it brand new the only problem i have with this system is i have a 3gs iphone and when i have it plugged into supplied cord for long trips if someone calls me the music gets interupted like it suppose to but when you complete the call it wont return to the music on its own. In bluetooth mode it will,so when i was at wingding i went to the guys at J&M and they tried it and it did the same thing but when he tried his 4g iphone it worked the way it was suppose to. So he said it must be the 3gs software. But it does charge the iphone for me so someone above said there phone would charge so perhaps theres an issue there. over all very happy with product but dont buy it from J&M website they cost way more than other sites.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How well does this work with the Iphone 4? How do you place calls on your IPhone 4 when using this system and your phone is in the trunk? I'm very interested in this but haven't yet figured out how to make a call when riding. I read the installation/operation manual and it says how to receive a call but not how to make one. Does the IPhone 4 have a voice dial thing that I'm not aware of?

And for those of you that will invariably chime in and say I don't need to be making or receiving calls when on the bike - please don't. It's my choice whether I answer a call or not and if it's my daughter calling I'm gonna answer. And if I need to make one I will.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was waiting for the cell phone nay sayers too. I try not to use my cell phone on the road but sometimes it comes in handy. I was wondering if your 3g Iphone problem could be solved by using a separate charger, not the one that comes with the J&M unit, and connect the phone to the J&M unit through bluetooth. It sounds like the bluetooth connection works correctly. I'm pairing my phone (a crappy old motorola) to my zumo 660. I have the edset mic connector and with this particular phone people have a hard time hearing me talk. If I'm using my IWAY 500 I'm SOL as far as using the phone. I'm thinking that the J&M unit would solve both these problems plus give some more flexibility in the future. I might get an IPHONE when I'm eligible this Fall.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts