GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tim,

You are correct in that I could solve my Iphone 3GS problem using a seperate charge cord and bluetooth the phone for audio. The only disadvantage to playing the music via bluetooth is you lose the ability to change songs/playlists via the bikes controls.

It sounds like my issues on not being able to charge the Iphone 3GS are due to my particular phone and not the J&M system. I might have to get another Iphone. I am using the Iphone 3GS as a music player and GPS system and not as a phone :roll:. What I really need is for the IPODs to have a GPS chip so I can use them instead of an IPhone. I have my work phone bluetoothed into the J&M system and play music via the IPhone/IPOD.

I was waiting for the cell phone nay sayers too. I try not to use my cell phone on the road but sometimes it comes in handy. I was wondering if your 3g Iphone problem could be solved by using a separate charger, not the one that comes with the J&M unit, and connect the phone to the J&M unit through bluetooth. It sounds like the bluetooth connection works correctly. I'm pairing my phone (a crappy old motorola) to my zumo 660. I have the edset mic connector and with this particular phone people have a hard time hearing me talk. If I'm using my IWAY 500 I'm SOL as far as using the phone. I'm thinking that the J&M unit would solve both these problems plus give some more flexibility in the future. I might get an IPHONE when I'm eligible this Fall.

·
Registered
507 Posts
to place a call you do it just like you normally would. dial the number The ? would be where to mount the phone so you may do so or just keep it on your belt and take it out to place a call. I myself keep the phone in the left fairing pocket so its out of the rain,when iam on long trips and using the ipod function i have plugged into the supplied J&M cord which is extremely long so if i need to make a call i just open the compartment and dial the my number. Some peaple prefer to mount there phones on the left handle bar so they have a view of the phone and easier excess. I have tried using the 12volt cigerette lighter plug that i installed in the left fairing pocket but i still have the same issue with the phone when im not in bluetooth mode. Like i said in above post iam very happy with the system im just waiting for apple to come out with the newer iphone. If any body wants more info feel free to email me direct.
[email protected]

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the bluetooth unit also and i have to say that it works great with my iphone 3g. i bluetooth most of the time and i have no problems at all i can change the music with the handlebar controls while bluetoothing. it sounds good when talking on the phone and i dont have J&M headsets. it is nice to be able to ansewer the phone when your stuck in trafic. i did have the unit lock up once on a long trip it locked up but still played music i just couldnt change the song until after the bike was turned of and back on after that it worked great again.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, my unit arrived today. I have to say, I'm very intimidated by the installation instructions. I'm a pretty handy guy, and and generally not afraid to tinker, but this thing has me nervous.

I'll have to wait until Monday to tackle it, because I'm working nights this weekend.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I took a look at this stuff a bit ago. It was very encouraging to have made it all the way to step 1 before getting totally lost. "Locate the mark on the lower left edge of the tour pack and drill....." There is no mark anywhere in the "tour pack" indicating anything. And I'm not about to randomly drill into a brand new bike.

Nice. Thanks J&M.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Tim

That is true, howver the SoundGate that I had kept requiring to be re-botted, other than that is was wonderful.

Like I said before I am going to try the Electrical Connection one next.

Thanks

PS: Wing Stuff is great to deal with.
It may not be necessary to remove your seat and "reboot" the SOUNDGATE. It's not the soundgate that is the problem most times. It is the iPod and Lewis says that this may occur from time to time on the EC unit.

If you run into the problem where you think the SOUNGATE needs rebooted, RESET/REBOOT your iPod first. Depending on what iPod you have, you will need to research how to reset it >CLICK<. I have a 4th gen touch and I reset by holding the home key and the power button down for 20 seconds until the cracked apple appears.

Follow the simple regimen below and you will find that you need not reset the SOUNDGATE very often. I was rebooting mine until I discovered this regimen by experimenting. I have had to reset the actual SOUNDGATE unit only twice in the last 10K miles and that was the result of me forgetting step one too many times in a row.

1. Never turn off the bike while playing your CD/iPod. Change your audio unit to AUX or FM then turn off the bike. This simple step will eliminate 70% of your reboots.

2. After a sync or any time you have unplugged your iPod from the dock, start a song playing by hand on your iPod THEN plug it into the dock WHILE the song is playing.

3. If you think you need to reboot the SOUNDGATE, first unplug the iPod and reset it as I described. Then move to STEP 2.

4. Sometimes if the SOUNDGATE becomes unresponsive, if you change the playlist using the 3 or 4 buttons on your radio instead of the bar switch, it will often "find" itself and start working again and you don't even need to stop the bike.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok. I got it installed. It wasn't particularly hard to install. Aggravating and time-consuming would be more accurate. This is because the instructions were pretty vague. They would tell you what to do, but give very little guidance on how to do it. An example is it said to run some wires from the back of the bike up to the front left pocket. No tips on a route, what to avoid, what to aim for, nothing. I opted to follow along some other wires. I'm not all that familiar with electrical, as you can tell by my use of terms. But I knew enough to get this done. Some connector colors weren't as described in the instructions, which made some things confusing, and made me nervous I was plugging in an atomic bomb rather than the passenger headset.

After installation, a very brief test showed everything working as it should. My only real beef so far is the hum that is now present in the headset, whether anything is playing or not. Also, a slight popping sound when I apply the brakes is bothering me. The line from the module to the fairing pocket runs right past the alternator. I wonder if that would have anything to do with it. Also, the module doesn't ground anywhere. I also wonder if that might contribute.

Any ideas on that?

As I play with it more, I'll share my observations/opinions.

Edit: This is a more detailed description of the problems I'm observing in my unit:

1. Engine hum through the headset, whether the unit is being used or not.

2. White noise through headset, whether the unit is being used or not.

3. A small "pop" sound when I apply the brakes, whether the unit is being used or not.

These all point to a ground problem, in my mind. But the unit doesn't ground to anything. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Displeased!

Viper467,

Ordered one a few weeks ago, installed with no problems. Worked well for the first 3 days. Using it on '02 GL1800 with IPod Classic and BT to a Blackberry. After 3 days, IPod began to go into synch mode and would not play music or charge. Reboot Ipod and it began synching again. Disconnected JM unit from battery to reboot and the problem remains.

Blackberry audio will not route through the helmet set but will play through the speakers.

I also have the hum in the headset, most noticeable when using the intercom.

I disconnected the IPod and loaded SD card with music and it is a work-around until JM Corp returns my call (called them 3 times and told each time that the Tech Dept. would call me back to discuss the issue and I'm still waiting after almost 3 weeks).

Chris

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just talked to a guy there and he kinda tried to take the blame away from them and their product. The simple and irrefutable fact is that this wasn't happening before I hooked this thing up. If I disconnect it and problems remain, that alters nothing. All that means is that we have a whole new problem to deal with. I haven't gotten there yet, though. I'm going to do some troubleshooting on my own and see if I can isolate the problem before I get too bent out of shape. But it will have to wait until tomorrow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I visited Matt this past weekend to check out his J&M installation. Just for the record, his unit didn't seem to have any noise problems. We tried various combinations of bluetooth connections. It worked fine with a cell phone and ipod touch paired with the J&M at the same time. It worked fine with a Zumo 660 paired to the J&M and a cell phone paired to the Zumo. With all of the connections volume levels were good and there were no noise issues. Once the Zumo was paired with the J&M no other bluetooth connections could be made simultaneously. There was an ipod nano plugged into the J&M cable the whole time and it worked fine.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have almost all of my problems worked out, but one remains: I'm still getting some engine whine through the J&M device. I was told in another thread that a GLI will not solve that problem since it's not through the bike's aux line.

Is there any other solution that I can look at to get rid of this whine?

I was asked to give my impressions, as others have already, about the device. With the exception of the noise I dealt, and still am dealing, with, I find the device to work exactly as described. I've tried just about every way of using it as one can, and everything does exactly as it is supposed to. I wasn't even aware that my iphone was capable of bluetoothing music, but there it is.

Someone mentioned making and receiving calls....mine receives calls perfectly, with the voice even reciting the number that's calling. The only thing is that you have to rely on the other end hanging up to end the call. I'm nervous about salespeople or survey people calling and me not being able to get rid of them. Otherwise, perfect. As for dialing out, most iphones have voice dial, as I would imagine droids do, too. I haven't tried it yet, but I would suspect you could voice dial a call, assuming your phone can "hear" your command over the wind and road noise. I'll be trying this ASAP, and will report back, if no one else has yet.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I just need to get rid of the above mentioned whine, and all will be well.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
GLI installed, and all noise problems with the unit are now corrected.

However, I have noticed since installation, on about three occasions I've started the bike and the unit didn't turn on. The CD (where the unit is run through) didn't even come on. If I switch to FM it worked fine, but no CD/Audio unit. I shut the bike off completely and start it again, and it works.

I'm more concerned about something being wrong that I am about the aggravation, though it is very aggravating.

Anyone experienced this phenomenon?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Review and Pairing Question

Review: I installed my unit several weeks ago on a 2005. I put it in the well under the trunk floor. Install went smooth for someone who never had the seat off a wing before. All connections were straight forward and easy to accomplish. I had problems initially with the unit knocking out the radio. John @ J&M showed me how to reset the unit and radio, after that all worked well. It did run my battery down for some reason so I had the battery load checked and it was OK. I switch to another audio mode before shutting down the bike and that seems to correct the problem. I paired a iphone 4 with the unit and seems to work well receiving although my wife said my voice was extremely weak on her end. I did have a question about charging the iphone and that has been answered above. The audio is satisfactory using inexpensive J&M headsets with NO noise problems. If you are running a 2005 or older wing the SC card will only load 45 songs in 6 folders. I just loaded up another SD card and will switch them out at a break stop if necessary.

Question: I am using a Nuvi 1390LMT with bluetooth capability of which I have paired to an iphone and the audio unit. How can I un-pair the iphone from the audio unit and pair the Nuvi? John at J&M told me it could be done but when trying to pair the Nuvi to the audio unit or visa - versa there is no way to enter the pair code of the Nuvi on the audio unit. This may be a mute point because of the GPS model, and if so I guess am just SOL. Appreciate your comments, and Thanks !

PS: For what it is worth J&M bent over backwards to help me out with no delays in answering my questions (via email), and offered to switch the unit out if necessary. IMHO an "A+" for customer service, and I didn't even purchase the unit from them !

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You should be able to go into your phone and tell it to "forget" the J&M device, and to pair with the Nuvi. You shouldn't have to enter any code on the device, but on the Nuvi. I don't know this for a fact, as I've never done it, but I do know that's how it's done with the phone.

Another item to note is that in the device's instructions, which I'm looking at as I type this, it only mentions the Zumo as GPS devices to pair with it. It doesn't specifically say you can't pair anything else, but since it mentions Zumo over and over, one would assume it's the only one the J&M will play nice with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Al,

I am running a similar setup with the J&M audio system. I have a different model Nuvi (765T). I suspect your Nuvi and mine run similar software.

I was able to get my phone paired with the Nuvi and the Nuvi paired with the J&M. I was hoping by having the phone paired with the Nuvi, I would be able to use the Nuvi interface to control the phone and talk via my helmet headsets. What I discovered was that when I recieved a phone call, the Nuvi would divorce itself from the J&M audio component and handle the phone call by itself. The Nuvi's speaker would play the phone's audio and the Nuvi microphone would handle the voice. Since I still had the SD card installed on the J&M, the J&M audio would start playing the music on the SD card through the head set when I had a phone call. It was quite difficult to use the phone via the Nuvi with music from the SD card playing through the helmet speakers :). I ended up repairing the phone with the J&M since it would handle the calls throught helmet headset. Incomming calls were not the problem, just if I wanted to make a phone call would I have to hanndle the phone to call and not the Nuvi.

Hopefully you will have success and be able to use your Nuvi to handle the phone as well as play music.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Viper467,
Have you worked out the bugs? I don't have the system but am interested in it. I did notice that when I plug my phone into the 12 socket and play my mp3 music from the phone I get a hum. I attribute this to the 12 socket needing a magnetic noise supressor. I'm also not a IPhone user but will use an HTC Evo plugged in the 12 volt socket in the left faring pocket.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My system is now working perfectly. The only thing I'm experiencing that I don't like is when I have the intercom turned on, there is some engine whine there. When it's off, there is nothing since I bought the GLI and installed it. Once in a very great while, the unit won't turn on, as I mentioned above. But I shut the bike off and start it again, and everything is fine. I suspect it has something to do with the bluetooth mating, but that's only speculation.

As for performance, it works perfectly. I run a Sirius radio I picked up through it. But I can use bluetooth and use my iphone if I choose to. I can receive calls via the handlebar controls, and actually, I can make calls, too. I just have to use the phone to initiate the call, then put it away and talk. The old iphone 3G I have doesn't have voice activation like the newer ones do, so I have no idea if that works through the headset. I also get the sound that a text has come in. Of course a person probably wouldn't want to text on a motorcycle, but at least you know you received one.

Is there anything more specific you were wondering? I'll do my best to answer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bad interface or bad ipod?

Just installed it on the bike. Sounded great, but when I turned it off and unplugged the ipod it wouldn't come back on. Checked it on my ihome and nothing. Anyone else had this issue?:-(

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got this unit....well it is on the way to me.
So I wanted to bring this old thread back to life with a few Questions.

How do you guys that have used it for several years like it?
Were would I put the GLI if I need it? I do have a whine in headset if I use aux plug AND have cell phone plugged in to 12v charger in left fairing pocket.
I downloaded the installation PDF and the instructions look ....um...:shock:minima:shock::?:l. Can anyone post a few pictures showing were to drill the 1/4" hole?

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts