GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished lining up speakers in helmets on my 08 nav. It seems that the volume through the helmet speakers[ed-sets] is weak compared to the bike speakers. Eg: volume 6 on the external speakers seems about the same as 16 on the headsets. Is this normal or do I just have to turn the volume up or down everytime I switch between headsets and bike speakers? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Just the opposite on mine. Headsets are run at 10 speakers at 16. Are you sure you have them lined up right? It is hard to do and .25" can make a difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made a device to line up the ed-set speakers with the ears. The sound through the I-pod is great but the radio [am&fm ] is very low. Is it possible that there is an adjustment on the radio that would equalize the sound between the speakers and headset?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No but thanks. First thing I checked was the mute.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ponton , I find it very interesting that your volume is opposite from mine. I wonder if most of the systems are like yours? Thanks

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Made a device to line up the ed-set speakers with the ears. The sound through the I-pod is great but the radio [am&fm ] is very low. Is it possible that there is an adjustment on the radio that would equalize the sound between the speakers and headset?
Turn the Ipod down.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Is your iPod connected to the AUX input? If so, Larry's got the right answer - you have to balance the audio output level from your iPod to the audio output level as the AM/FM radio.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just finished lining up speakers in helmets on my 08 nav. It seems that the volume through the helmet speakers[ed-sets] is weak compared to the bike speakers. Eg: volume 6 on the external speakers seems about the same as 16 on the headsets. Is this normal or do I just have to turn the volume up or down everytime I switch between headsets and bike speakers? Thanks for any help.
I have the same problem on my 08 ABS/NAV w Edsets. I run the volume at 20 for the Edsets and around 14 for the speakers. I've tried moving the speakers closer and aligning them better but so far have had no success. I thought it was due to the ineffiency of the small speakers but now I'm not so sure.

I'll be interested in seeing the results of this thread.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The edset speakers in my full face helmet worked fine. I bought a new 3/4 helmet and put a set of edset speakers in and had the same problem, very weak sound compared to the full face. But I found out what the problem was. I had put velcro on the entire back side of the speakers therefore covering up the holes in the rear that allow the speakers to breath. I used a smaller piece of velco on the rear of the speakers and they work great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I can report good results so far. I first removed the speakers from their pouches and tried it without the ipod,maybe sounded a little louder. I balanced the ipod and radio volume,sound seemed clearer on the radio. I then put some foam(3/8 ") behind the speakers to move them closer to the ears and sound is getting louder. Moved the helmet up to better align the speakers and the volume actually sounded a little louder than the bike speakers. I thought I had the speakers perfect before but apparently not.

Thanks very much to the people who offered the suggestions; I know they will work good now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
audio volume

I had this same question///problem. I contacted J&M and talked to one of their tech persons. I was told,, "be sure that the speaker placement is as directly aligned to the ear canal as possible", and , "the audio for the Goldwing is running at a power output of 80 watts to the external speakers (amplified). But the audio output for the com system and headsets is at an output of 25 watts." (basic system unamplified)
He couldn't explain why the drop in power for the headsets.
I figure it's a liability issue. C.Y.A.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well I can report good results so far. I first removed the speakers from their pouches and tried it without the ipod,maybe sounded a little louder. I balanced the ipod and radio volume,sound seemed clearer on the radio. I then put some foam(3/8 ") behind the speakers to move them closer to the ears and sound is getting louder. Moved the helmet up to better align the speakers and the volume actually sounded a little louder than the bike speakers. I thought I had the speakers perfect before but apparently not.

Thanks very much to the people who offered the suggestions; I know they will work good now.
I hadn't thought of that. My Edsets came in a pouch with a piece of velcro on the back. I thought the velcro was the correct size but maybe it's too big.

I did find that it took some experimenting to get the speakers in the right position so maybe they've slipped a bit. I'll try adding a bit of foam [I think 3/8" will be a bit too thick for the Shoei Multitech] and seeing what happens.

I'm about to go back to the earbuds if the audio quality doesn't improve soon.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I had this same question///problem. I contacted J&M and talked to one of their tech persons. I was told,, "be sure that the speaker placement is as directly aligned to the ear canal as possible", and , "the audio for the Goldwing is running at a power output of 80 watts to the external speakers (amplified). But the audio output for the com system and headsets is at an output of 25 watts." (basic system unamplified)
He couldn't explain why the drop in power for the headsets.
I figure it's a liability issue. C.Y.A.
25 WATTS to the HEADSETS???????

Even 1 watt through a set of headsets for about 5 seconds would have your eardrums ringing for a week. If he really told you that, and couldn't explain why there is a large drop in power for headsets, then it wasn't a real tech you were talking to.

Headsets are generally driven to a maximum of maybe 100-150 milli-watts.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
You can adjust the intercom volume separately, but music can only be adjusted with the main volume control.

·
Registered
84 Posts
audio

Larry,
That's what the tech told me. I assumed that once the driver switched the output to the headsets, the watts effectively dropped by about 2/3's thus the needed increase in volume control. I'm just going on what I'm told by someone that manufactures and repairs these things. I too was looking for answers. Mea culpa

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I run the volume on my IPODE at max and control it by the radio volume.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts