GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to give my new baby her first oil change (3500 mi.)and was wondering if I could switch to Syn. or if I need to put a few more miles on before I make the switch.:shrug:

·
Banned
625 Posts
Now is fine. Be sure the synthetic oil you choose meets all of the SAE, API and JASO MA listed for oil in your owners manual. Also change the oil filter, making sure it meets all of the OEM specifications.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
you just opened a can of worms

In my opinion, yes. You can switch to Syn. if you are going to change your oil every 3500 miles you might as well save our money and just use a good Dino.
I run 8 to 10k between changes on mine and run syn. Mobile 1.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
You asked a very simple question and the very simple answer is yes, you can switch to synthetic now, no problem. Like Tim mentioned, whatever oil you decide to use, make sure it meets all the necessary specifications.

Please, DO NOT ASK which oil to use. That subject has been beaten to death many times over. All you have to do is do a search and you'll find every answer you can think of. It's kind of like asking "Who makes the best burger?" or "Which restaurant is best?"

Pick a good oil, change it regularly and you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The best oil for a wing is Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. It has
more phosphorus and zinc
to increase shear stability. It is designed for the high performance of these high powered engines, transmissions and wet clutches. This oil is designed for up to 25K in a sound engine. I usually change about 8K and I use a very high quality filter. Most of the time at 4K I install a new filter. Good oil and filters is less expensive than bearings.

Many years ago oil manufacturers removed most of the phosphorus and zinc to help with air poo. Now Amsoil has restored those compounds for the m/c oils. And I have to say I have used it since 1980... it get better mpgs no matter what it is in.

Good luck no matter what you choose. :thumbup:
more phosphorus and zinc
is hard on the cats!!!!!!!!!!! JFYIFM...chuck

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The best oil for a wing is Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. It has more phosphorus and zinc to increase shear stability. It is designed for the high performance of these high powered engines, transmissions and wet clutches. This oil is designed for up to 25K in a sound engine. I usually change about 8K and I use a very high quality filter. Most of the time at 4K I install a new filter. Good oil and filters is less expensive than bearings.

Many years ago oil manufacturers removed most of the phosphorus and zinc to help with air poo. Now Amsoil has restored those compounds for the m/c oils. And I have to say I have used it since 1980... it get better mpgs no matter what it is in.

Good luck no matter what you choose. :thumbup:
His opinion only....and you know what they say about opinions!!

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Amsoil oil is not API CERTIFIED

The marketing they use will lead you to belive they are bottom line they

are not they have no API certs

·
Registered
253 Posts
25000 mile oil changes? now I've heard everything re: Amsoil!!! Got to be a joke right. Oh and by the way when did an 1800 engine become anything other than what it is. A very mildly tuned motor. Thats part of the reason they last so long regardless of the oil in them.
Over & out Chuckie

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
OMG....not another OIL question :eek:4: ! We are going to learn all about Amsoil again for the umteenth time! :popcorn: :coffee1: :bow: :shrug: :confused:

mocycle,
As for your question. You can use either oil. Nothing wrong with syn oil, it is great stuff but costs more. But if you are going to change oil and filter every 3 to 5K miles. You might as well save some money and use the dino. To me, as far as I'm concerned, using syn instead of dino is like using a cannon to hunt a rabbit. But it's your money and your bike so use what makes you happy :thumbup: ! I have been driving for over 43 years and have never had an oil related engine failure and I've had some pretty junky cars in my younger days that I never changed the oil.....just added oil when needed. Other may not have been so lucky. I haven't heard of any Goldwing engine failures either but that doesn't mean there hasn't been any.
Good luck with whatever you use.
Also :congrats:.....Welcome to the board :thumbup: !

·
Banned
625 Posts
Amsoil oil is not API CERTIFIED

The marketing they use will lead you to belive they are bottom line they

are not they have no API certs
And neither are the other brands of motorcycle oils. It is not required. They only have to meet API, which of course they do, not be certified. Amsoil motorcycle oils meet API SL, not API SM, which means they have higher levels of zinc as do the other motorcycle oils to protect against wear, which is important where the same oil is used in the transmission, and provides back up protection should the oil lose viscosity due oil/water dilution or to shearing by the transmission. Car and truck oils which are API SM, have lower levels of zinc, and not used with the car and truck engine AND transmissions, and would not have the same back up protection should the oil lose viscosity.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I changed mine at 1,600 miles (just to get the new cuttings out and we were leaving on a 4,000 mile trip) and again at 5,000 miles and put in Dyno-oil. I will probably change it one more time at about 10,000 with Dyno and then go to Synthetic at about 15,000.
I use Syn in my other bikes but really don't know if there is a difference. Maybe a little smoother shifting and quieter running. I figure she is well broke in after 15,000 and will be ready for the slick stuff in her gut.

·
Banned
625 Posts
25000 mile oil changes? now I've heard everything re: Amsoil!!! Got to be a joke right.
I only recommend up to 16,000 miles up to 1 year which is what Amsoil recommends for the GL18000 to keep your existing Honda or extended warranty and the supplemental Amsoil warranty intact. Warranty coverage can only be denied if the oil is shown to fail, regardless of mileage or time. If you want to keep all warranties intact, and want to exceed 16,000 miles/1 year with Amsoil motorcycle oil, a used oil analysis should be performed to show the oil is still in useable condition.

D

·
0 Posts
What is it about the Search feature that nobody seems to know how to use or want to use? :shrug:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Back to your original question, here are some links to previous related questions. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/search.php?searchid=144168

However, what you are going to find are "OPINIONS" and I guarantee you everybody has one. As you probably noticed, you asked about when to change from dino to synthetic and you got many opinions NOT exactly about your question. Have you ever noticed politicians in a debate??? You can ask them a specific question but they quickly "craft" the response to say what they want to say.............not what you asked to start with!!!!!! :wrong:

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
What is it about the Search feature that nobody seems to know how to use or want to use? :shrug:
Because it's more fun to post an oil, tire, crushwasher, or bellypan thread and watch it grow to pages as everyone comes out of the woodwork with their opinion. Plus it's really enjoyable drinking a few beers and eating popcorn while reading the threads!:capwin::capwin::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
:popcorn::beer8:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts