GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a little dirtbike for my 9 y/o grandson but I'm not at all up on what I should get. It's been nearly 30 years since I had anything for MY kids. I'm sure whatever I get will be put to good use, and I'll be getting 2 or 3 more down the road.

The funny thing is I recently took him on his first ride on the wing and we barely left the driveway before he wanted to turn back. "Too fast" he said (20 MPH). 馃槺 So, I took his 5 y/o sister and she LOVED it! Maybe he'll enjoy his OWN ride better. If not, there are currently 10 more grandkids that may want to give it a try eventually. 馃榾

Thanks for any suggestions.

Registered
Depends on their size. I have a 50 cc Honda CRF... with training wheels which I can have off quickly. A Honda 70 CRF no clutch or gears to worry about. Honda CRF 150 for larger kids over 11 or me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and my son won鈥檛 ride with me! But his twin sister loves it!
I have 2 sets of twins grandkids - along with 2 sets of twins of my OWN kids! They're all still too little now, but I can see one of the girls riding and not her brother! :LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on their size. I have a 50 cc Honda CRF... with training wheels which I can have off quickly. A Honda 70 CRF no clutch or gears to worry about. Honda CRF 150 for larger kids over 11 or me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I looked up that CRF 70. I think that's a very good option! Thanks! (y)

Reactions: sailordudeii

Registered
Today's version of the 50 mini-trail.

Indestructible and loved by all....

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Today's version of the 50 mini-trail.

Indestructible and loved by all....
I saw this. I鈥檓 not seeing a lot of used little bikes for sale but what I do see isn鈥檛 much of a savings over this new one. Of course, within 50 feet it鈥檚 going down and it will no longer be new!

Reactions: CAWing

Vendor
I'd like to get a little dirtbike for my 9 y/o grandson but I'm not at all up on what I should get. It's been nearly 30 years since I had anything for MY kids. I'm sure whatever I get will be put to good use, and I'll be getting 2 or 3 more down the road.

The funny thing is I recently took him on his first ride on the wing and we barely left the driveway before he wanted to turn back. "Too fast" he said (20 MPH). 馃槺 So, I took his 5 y/o sister and she LOVED it! Maybe he'll enjoy his OWN ride better. If not, there are currently 10 more grandkids that may want to give it a try eventually. 馃榾

Thanks for any suggestions.
Lucky kid ... when he objected, you didn't further insist (y) And, you're getting him one to see if he likes it. I wish I had a granddad like that.

If I were you, I'd do like you and ask, and also seek out a very experienced m/c sales person, of which I am not. But sometimes I do walk into a Honda dealer to get parts and like someone else on here recommended, in my mine a 70cc would be perfect.

However, maybe a 110cc would fit him better.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Lucky kid ... when he objected, you didn't further insist (y) And, you're getting him one to see if he likes it. I wish I had a granddad like that.

If I were you, I'd do like you and ask, and also seek out a very experienced m/c sales person, of which I am not. But sometimes I do walk into a Honda dealer to get parts and like someone else on here recommended, in my mine a 70cc would be perfect.

However, maybe a 110cc would fit him better.
Nice of you to say that, Greg. We want to stay involved in all their lives. The grandparents (my parents) of my kids never were. What better way than to get them into dirt bikes?? (y)

We'll start with maybe a 50cc, then move up from there. There's many more behind him, plus an 11 y/o girl. Everything will be put to good use. Of course, now I need to find something for me to ride along side him... 馃槆

1 - 12 of 12 Posts