GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My batt has one Gerbing wire and one batt tender wire directly conected to it. I may need to add a second Gerbing wire and a wire from a trailer I just bought has a wire that directly connects to the pos terminal. Not so sure the terminal will be able to handle so many direct connections, the screw and space being too short to handle all of this.

Those of you who have extensive power set ups, how do you handle this? Some sort of connection to a multi connector box of some sort, but I don't know what to look for and what fits a GW well...

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Most electrical items should be hooked up to a switchable device so that they are hot only when the key is turned on. Certain items like a plug inside the trunk and a battery bug should be hot all the time.

If you forget and leave your Gerbings or other device on while at a motel, for instance, your battery will be dead the next morning.

Recommend that you call Electrical Connections and talk to them.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re

A second fuse bock controlled by a relay is a easy thing to do. Any auto motive store will have them . Had to do it to the vtx. Mine has 6 spots and all separately fused

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I talked to Gerbings last week and they sell an adapter that allows you to hook your battery tender to the Gerbings outlet if that helps. Have no idea what the price is.​

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Many ways to do things.

The simple way is to use a connector with a larger crimp slot that will accept two or three wires. Solder and heat shrink the connection and provide an inline fuse for each accessory.

Heated gear has the inline fuse blocks already.

Or you can rewire the entire bike, run a large power wire to a separate fuse block .

Accomplishes the same thing, only in a neat manner, more or less.

But hooking up heated gear, I would just do the terminal connector and inline fuse. Solder the connection, use one ring for connection, that will work fine.

Same battery, same power source, same load. And with some wire ties you can make it look neat.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
IMO, anything that is added should be fused at the battery and the exposed wire in a protective harness to keep it from rubbing against anything. If an un-fused wire shorts to ground, a very significant event could occur.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
IMO, anything that is added should be fused at the battery and the exposed wire in a protective harness to keep it from rubbing against anything. If an un-fused wire shorts to ground, a very significant event could occur.
Boom or smoke! :shock:

·
Registered
73 Posts
My batt has one Gerbing wire and one batt tender wire directly conected to it. I may need to add a second Gerbing wire and a wire from a trailer I just bought has a wire that directly connects to the pos terminal. Not so sure the terminal will be able to handle so many direct connections, the screw and space being too short to handle all of this.

Those of you who have extensive power set ups, how do you handle this? Some sort of connection to a multi connector box of some sort, but I don't know what to look for and what fits a GW well...

I am watching these replies as well. I have exactly what you describe, two Girbings, (both fused), one battery tender, (fused), plus a trailer, (fused). It all fits just fine. Positive post is covered from shorting out on anything. But looks like s**t.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I installed a fuse panel. I placed it in the trunk cubby above where the CB sits.

The Wing relay box had 3 unused slots so I used two of those to trigger my Gerbings (1 for me and 1 for passenger) hook ups and the third to trigger my extra lighting.

I also have an "always hot" 12v plug in the trunk capable of 20amp service should I need it.

Here's a pictorial documentation of how I did this. Perhaps it will give you some ideas on what you want to do.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009%20Goldwing/Fuse%20Panel%20Install/

Before:

After:

Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I installed a fuse panel. I placed it in the trunk cubby above where the CB sits.

The Wing relay box had 3 unused slots so I used two of those to trigger my Gerbings (1 for me and 1 for passenger) hook ups and the third to trigger my extra lighting.

I also have an "always hot" 12v plug in the trunk capable of 20amp service should I need it.

Here's a pictorial documentation of how I did this. Perhaps it will give you some ideas on what you want to do.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009 Goldwing/Fuse Panel Install/

Before:

After:

Good luck! :thumbup:
That's excellent work. Looks great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts