GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Direct lift

I bought the Pro Cycle lift.At the time they didn't offer a drop tail,So I cut a panel out of the center back portion of the lift and welded a few pieces of !/4 X 1-1/2 steel pieces and made my own drop panel.It works great.If anyone is interested in the way I did it contact me and I will try to take some pictures of it.I keep my 1800 parked on it all the time so it really doesn't take up all that much extra room......Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wayne,
You might want to take a look at the Harbor Freight lift. They have their lift on sale at the retail stores through December 26th for $299.99. I received a flyer in the mail yesterday that included a coupon for 15% any one item in their store. That is the same deal I got when I bought my lift earlier this year. I got mine for under 300 bucks including tax. They aren't quite as sturdy as the Handy or Direct but they're not bad. I'm happy with mine.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91764

·
Registered
605 Posts
Re: Direct lift

Wayne.. I have the same lift and have no complaints. The only problem is that there is no drop panel for the rear tire. Be sure to get the side panels as it is hard to get the bike on and off without them. I have thought about cutting the garage slab and recessing the unit. The shop I go to has it that way and it makes it very easy to get on and off and there is no need for the side panels. Save you a few bucks...

Jim Ciampi said:
I bought the Pro Cycle lift.At the time they didn't offer a drop tail,So I cut a panel out of the center back portion of the lift and welded a few pieces of !/4 X 1-1/2 steel pieces and made my own drop panel.It works great.If anyone is interested in the way I did it contact me and I will try to take some pictures of it.I keep my 1800 parked on it all the time so it really doesn't take up all that much extra room......Jim
I would really like to see some pictures

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Lift

I have had one for a couple years now and LIKE it. Get the panels or recess it in the floor as suggested. You will love it.
I think I will do similar on the drop panel for removing the rear tire.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot guys. I didn't get any negative replies so it looks like a go. The website lead me to my local dealer and it turns out his prices are between $100 and $150 Cheaper than the suggested retail on the manufacturer website. The 48" wide XLT with the drop tail is $705.00
I welcome any further comments/opinions.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
That looks like a great lift. I say go for it.

By the way, let me know when its in. My bike needs some work that you can use the lift for.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Re: Direct lift

Jim Ciampi said:
I would like to see pic of your drop panal.. T.I.A.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Can anyone give pics of how you would recess it into the floor?
That sounds totally awsome, but not sure if its really practicle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've had one for about four years. Really a good lift, I bought the one with the side extensions and drop back. Use it for all different types of projects. Very handy for four wheelers, riding lawnmowers, and kawasaki mules, and even an occasional Wing. I would buy it again. George

·
Registered
605 Posts
daver said:
Can anyone give pics of how you would recess it into the floor?
That sounds totally awsome, but not sure if its really practicle.
I don't have any pics yet..

I plan on doing mine in the spring. It is not a difficult process. Cut out a piece of the slab that is 1” wider and 1” longer than the actual lift. Remove enough of the base material under the existing slab to pour a new 4” slab that will finish out to the actual depth of the lift. The nice thing about this is that you do not need the extensions to aid in driving the bike on and when the bike is gone you can get around in the garage with ease.
If you move and take the lift with you just pour the slab back

Ride Safe
Dick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts