GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to change my oil between all these posts . I have for many, many years run nothing but amsoil . I swap oil religiously at 10k and since I ride year around I never worry about seasonal changes . But this batch of 10311 mile oil is blacker than normal . Kinda weird . I have an oil sample bottle and saved some and will ship it out from work Monday to Minneapolis for analysis . As at work we do this on a schedule and they let me slide a few in once and while . The company that does this for us has been dealing with me for many years and they have no problem with it . At 10 k my oil has alway in many bikes came back clean enough to run another 2-3k . I do not and swap it out alway at 10 . This batch was run mostly in the winter months starting middle of Oct. I am thinking this may be reason for dark oil colder weather and fuel not being burned as efficiently. This will show up on sample of I ask right questions after receiving documentation , a lot of it I do not understand myself . Bike has been shifting a little clunky also . Not bad just noticeable, but I am a bit hyper sensitive to any slight changes on my ride . Always have been .
Any thoughts if I may be thinking along the right lines . BTW level was spot on and has no weird smells .
Never seen this before ,it's got me thinking .
Thoughts ?

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Call Bulldog for his thoughts :shrug: Good luck I hope nothing bad :eek:4:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call Bulldog for his thoughts :shrug: Good luck I hope nothing bad :eek:4:
That's a god idea , I really trust his opinion . I will wait to see results of my oil which should be late next week. I doubt there is anything wrong really . I did just change plugs that where in my bike for well over 100 k may have something to do with ECM readjusting itself to new sparky spark plugs . All though I do not notice any difference since I did . I really think the cold weather almost this entire oil change riding has a big of not all part of it . Have no logical reason why ,, yet . But I will , I a sure . Bulldog was good idea thx. :thumbup:

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
Could be all those RTE's and carrying that extra load is taking it's toll....LOL Maybe you sucked a spare dinner roll in the air box. Maybe you are wearing it out or as the previous owner thought the bike is just not right....:joke: Okay in fact I have no idea......:shrug:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be all those RTE's and carrying that extra load is taking it's toll....LOL Maybe you sucked a spare dinner roll in the air box. Maybe you are wearing it out or as the previous owner thought the bike is just not right....:joke: Okay in fact I have no idea......:shrug:
The dinner roll is plausible, eveything else not so much :lol:
That's funny but not as funny as a non board member just called me and said it was not carbon build up he was sure . :lol:
Your all idiots. But I love ya :tongue:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Probably got some sorghum in the oil . . .

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Was this that gallon I got from that guy for you??

It was sealed wasn't it??

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Where is Tim, when you need him?

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably got some sorghum in the oil . . .
Also plausible, bit I lick my fingers pretty clean , always
Was this that gallon I got from that guy for you??

It was sealed wasn't it??
Hope that went in this time ,and yes it was sealed tighter than my pants after buffet .
Where is Tim, when you need him?
Tim the tool man ?
Tiny Tim ?
Tim Conway ?
Tim Magraw ?
Or timid and shy like me :twisted:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
[h=2]Dirty blacker than normal[/h]If you were a politician, they would label you a racist!:oops:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
921 Posts
At your age, you are probably starting to show some forgetfulness and forgot to change it the last time, thus the buildup.. Just hope everything is all right..

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Maybe Amsoil is like beer.... some batches turn out a little darker than others, but all of it is good :shrug:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Haven't let Boomer tinker around with anything, have ya??

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
Maybe Amsoil is like beer.... some batches turn out a little darker than others, but all of it is good :shrug:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Not sure you are right, but I like how you think.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At your age, you are probably starting to show some forgetfulness and forgot to change it the last time, thus the buildup.. Just hope everything is all right..
HEY ,, but no I double checked . It was a very busy year last year though .
Haven't let Boomer tinker around with anything, have ya??
Security cameras revealed nothing .:thumbup:
Besides I will not even near my cookies :twisted:

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
As a guess, colder weather, shorter rides, less burnoff of contaminents, more oxidation of said contaminents and oil, darker color. Usually cosmetic if no adverse odor noted. Interested to see oil report results.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As a guess, colder weather, shorter rides, less burnoff of contaminents, more oxidation of said contaminents and oil, darker color. Usually cosmetic if no adverse odor noted. Interested to see oil report results.
That is same consensus I am coming to . . I suspect oil and carbon will be higher .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts