GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is there a non destructive way that I can disable the self cancelling indicators on my 2006? I would like them to function 100% manually.

Would it achieve this to just disconnect the turn signal cancel unit?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Dave,
On the older models there was a wire under the right pocket (white/black ?) that when clipped would disable the turn signal cancelling feature. Not sure about the '06 models. :wink:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks fellas. I found the 'tip' about cutting the speedo input to the turn signal cancel unit. The problem I have now is they despite having the manual with the component location photos etc. I am having the devils own job locating the correct wire. Any pointers? I've got the right pocket out and I believe the correct wire is going into the blue plug furthest away in the block of three plugs... blue, grey, blue. Does that sound right?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I can't help on the wire color, but.....

You can disable the lean/turn cancel function of the turn signal system very easy, this leaves just the distance travel cancel function.

Behind the front wheel, at the top of the black cover on the front is a phillips screw (need to take this out when removing the panel) that holds a small arm attached so it transmitts steering position to the signal cancel system. I think I'm explaining this correctly :oops: Anyway, if you remove this little arm, your turn signals will not longer cancel in relation to handle bar postion/lean. Found this out by happenstance, when running around with out the front panels in place or the arm. I had assumed this function was linked with the bank angle sensor....but not so.

·
Vendor
22,239 Posts
Burger said:
Many thanks fellas. I found the 'tip' about cutting the speedo input to the turn signal cancel unit. The problem I have now is they despite having the manual with the component location photos etc. I am having the devils own job locating the correct wire. Any pointers? I've got the right pocket out and I believe the correct wire is going into the blue plug furthest away in the block of three plugs... blue, grey, blue. Does that sound right?

Many thanks,
If you remove the instrument panel cover, you should be able to follow the wire harness straight out of the top of the steering stem.

In my 02 manual it is shown on photo 60 on page 12-9. The wire colors in the harness for my 02 are :
pink
wht/blk
blue/black
wht/green
light green/wht
green

The speedo signal is on the wht/blk wire.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fred. I couldn't be certain of the right wire under the right pocket so I did just that... removed the clocks etc and then snipped the white/black at the green plug. I soldered on a couple of trailing leads and ran them up to the right handlebar switches in case I ever decide to fit a switch. Really appreciate the help... thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts