GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know how to d/c the lock out on the GPS controls AND on the freaken Rear Spring Pre-load??

I hate having to stop to adjust the spring between twistys and highway. Plus simple operations of the GPS.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE THESE GPS'S NOT MAKE YOU PUSH A MONKEY BUTTON JUST TO WORK AFTER STARTING???? THAT IS FOOLISH.

With the smart electrical minds on here, surely someone has a fix for these annoying problems.

jim

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
For the GPS, while moving, hit display button so you get the GPS screen, engage clutch, switch key to acc, hit 'enter' button on GPS, turn key back to 'on', disengage clutch.

I learned that on this board.:bow:

Just tried this for the first time the other day and it worked. Might work for the suspension as well. Haven't tried that.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that tomorrow on my way home. Thanks. I'll check the rear spring also and let you know.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
For the GPS, while moving, hit display button so you get the GPS screen, engage clutch, switch key to acc, hit 'enter' button on GPS, turn key back to 'on', disengage clutch.

I learned that on this board.:bow:

Just tried this for the first time the other day and it worked. Might work for the suspension as well. Haven't tried that.
It works for the suspension also.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When you turn the key to Accessory, does it kill the engine?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I will try that tomorrow on my way home.
Thanks. I'll check the rear spring also and let you know.
(.. edit glarson3 post)
For the GPS,
while moving,
hit display button so you get the GPS screen,
engage clutch,
switch key to acc,
**WAIT FOR THE SPEEDO TO GO DOWN TO ZERO**,
hit 'enter' button on GPS,
turn key back to 'on',
**HIT STARTER BUTTON**,
disengage clutch.

You must wait until the Speedo to decay to zero or it won't work..
and ...
you don't have to hit the starter button,
but's it's easier on everything if you do...
.. no sense in maybe locking up the rear tire..

works for suspension too
works for GO HOME too..
... works for any GPS "function" you want..
.. just remember you're coasting and slowing down.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
When you turn the key to Accessory, does it kill the engine?
Yes it sure does...
.. probably not the best idea at night,
as it also kills the lights...

Dennis

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks for the info WW. Good to know. I may just do it the old fashion way.

Yes it sure does...
.. probably not the best idea at night,
as it also kills the lights...

Dennis

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Kennndy sells a elctronic gizmo for the GPS 70-80$$.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Name or part #???

·
Registered
168 Posts
(.. edit glarson3 post)
For the GPS,
while moving,
hit display button so you get the GPS screen,
engage clutch,
switch key to acc,
**WAIT FOR THE SPEEDO TO GO DOWN TO ZERO**,
hit 'enter' button on GPS,
turn key back to 'on',
**HIT STARTER BUTTON**,
disengage clutch.

You must wait until the Speedo to decay to zero or it won't work..
and ...
you don't have to hit the starter button,
but's it's easier on everything if you do...
.. no sense in maybe locking up the rear tire..

works for suspension too
works for GO HOME too..
... works for any GPS "function" you want..
.. just remember you're coasting and slowing down.

Dennis

Doesn't seem to work for a 2012

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,603 Posts
The problem with the suspension adjustment, the control for it is actually done in the gauge cluster and it's using the speed signal. There's no way to disconnect the signal due to the cluster integration. There is a speed sensor wire going to the Nav unit and breaking that line with a switch might let it think you are stopped. At least the line exists on the 06-08 models, I don't have the schematics for the later models. :shrug:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
dr. jim
Have you listed in MyFriends list. For that reason, I reply to your post this way.
Those 2 items are locked out while moving for a very good reason(safety) and should be left that way IMHO.
Also, the preload is recommended to be change w/ no load on the rear tire as any load is hard on the pump.
I now return this thread to those whom can answer the questions!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Those 2 items are locked out while moving for a very good reason(safety) and should be left that way IMHO.

I would "respectfully" disagree with that statement when it comes to the GPS and here is why I say that. In route, programmed, I stop for gas, shut off the bike, gas up and restart..............I should NOT have to wait to hit the enter button as it's an ACTIVE route ( and it knows that), there is NO safety issue there, in fact it's a very UNSAFE situation as now I have to pull over again to engage it ( assuming one forgot to push the enter button). So if it's active, it should stay active, it would be a much safer operation that way. As long as we are talking about safety............just saying.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Nitpicking, but it's a common misnomer. Most folks say "engage" the clutch which to them means pull in the lever. By pulling in the lever you actually "disengage" the clutch (ie the clutch is made inactive and you coast).

To be accurate "engage" the clutch really means release the lever hence making the clutch active transferring power to the rear wheel. To "disengage" the clutch, pull in the lever so the clutch is "disengaged" from the rear wheel.

Nitpick I know.

There is a mod to the relays to work the suspension without the added hazard of turning off your engine if you search you may find it.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I would "respectfully" disagree with that statement when it comes to the GPS and here is why I say that. In route, programmed, I stop for gas, shut off the bike, gas up and restart..............I should NOT have to wait to hit the enter button as it's an ACTIVE route ( and it knows that), there is NO safety issue there, in fact it's a very UNSAFE situation as now I have to pull over again to engage it ( assuming one forgot to push the enter button). So if it's active, it should stay active, it would be a much safer operation that way. As long as we are talking about safety............just saying.
Clear on that! I was referring to trying to "program" something while in motion.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts