GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you disable the anti-dive, is it done without draining the fork fluid or brake fluid?

Or, do you have to drain one or the other or both.

Sounds like the AD is just a matter of time before you can expect it to stick.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You shouldn't have to drain anything. If your putting in a spacer there is no fluid loss.
One note of caution about disabling the anti-dive instead of repairing it. Depending on the age of your bike, if you still have stock fork springs, I would suggest (my unprofessional opinion) that you consider a fork spring upgrade, either progressive, or Traxxion.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
In a quick nut shell, the wing has a shock on the front rightside only, and springs in both sides. The left side is connected with a piston, that locks up the left fork oil, in sudden emergency braking, or hard stops. People add a small spacer to stop the piston from 100% locking. Also is believed to take the hydraulic stress off the fork seals. My quick understanding of it. Look at the drivers left fork, and you will see the anti- dive valve mounted to the side, about the rim level. The top right part that looks like it is bleedable is where the 5/8 inch x .030-.038 spacer would be added. The "O" rings in this valve unit have been known to swell and hang up, locking the left fork solid.

·
Registered
574 Posts
GL03 said:
In a quick nut shell, the wing has a shock on the front rightside only, and springs in both sides. The left side is connected with a piston, that locks up the left fork oil, in sudden emergency braking, or hard stops. People add a small spacer to stop the piston from 100% locking. Also is believed to take the hydraulic stress off the fork seals. My quick understanding of it. Look at the drivers left fork, and you will see the anti- dive valve mounted to the side, about the rim level. The top right part that looks like it is bleedable is where the 5/8 inch x .030-.038 spacer would be added. The "O" rings in this valve unit have been known to swell and hang up, locking the left fork solid.
If you add .038" shim, you won't have enough. The piston has close to 3mm (0.118") of travel. I took measurements and made an aluminum shim that matches the contour of the body that is 3+mm thick; can't even tell it is there! :wink: Nice to work in a CNC shop!! :D

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The .030 shim was from Fred h. idea. It does not totally eliminate the valve, but limits the full shut off. Agree if idea to eliminate it, a bigger spacer would work better. Many people have used the smaller shim with fair results as far as I know. Would be interesting to hear from people, who bypassed it other ways?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
GL03 said:
Would be interesting to hear from people, who bypassed it other ways?
I added an O-ring (about the size of quarter).

I left the two bolts just snug with some locktight as I did not want to "squish" the O-ring.

Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts